Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:56 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
I had the most miserable night last night. My thermometer in my home read 90 degrees. UGH! My husband went out today to buy two window ac units. I was having flashbacks of Louisiana summer nights. ICK! Before I moved here everyone kept saying "you won't need an AC, the weather is not like it is here in the south" blah blah blah. Yea....guess they were proven wrong
I don't know many people who go all year without AC. CAN you? Yea sure, it's much easier than a place like LA, but it's just like saying "you'll never need to turn on the heat in LA" Well, that's not true. CAN you get by without it? Yea but it's uncomfortable. Just like up here without AC.

BUT the good news is, CT weather is some of the most dynamic you'll find around so if you don't like the weather, it'll change in a couple days. Point in case, we had a low of 36* just a week ago.

So don't think it's always like yesterday...it's not. You'll have a couple days here and there - sometimes a "heatwave" for a week of 89-92* but then it breaks. Today is a good example. Sunday and Monday were gross. Today it's dry, sunny and comfortable.

One thing you'll experience that's pretty cool is, on a hot sticky Summer day, when a thunderstorm from the North rolls in, it's like God flipped on the AC. The temp drops like 5-10 degrees and it's comfortable. (Not with every storm, just when a cold front comes down from upstate NY.) It's really cool to feel dry cold air roll in and see a 10 degree drop in like 5 minutes.

We are IMO the complete opposite of SoCal weather. Here it changes almost daily, there the weatherman can just record himself saying the same thing for weeks on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
I had the most miserable night last night. My thermometer in my home read 90 degrees. UGH! My husband went out today to buy two window ac units. I was having flashbacks of Louisiana summer nights. ICK! Before I moved here everyone kept saying "you won't need an AC, the weather is not like it is here in the south" blah blah blah. Yea....guess they were proven wrong
Proving once again...there is much hype to weather and they way people think it is in different parts of the USA. Wait till June…when the Bermuda High really gets pumping off the East Coast and those dew points from east of the Bahamas get sucked up the East Coast - lol. The heat haters will be seeing red this summer. They are forecasting a long hot, humid summer in the eastern USA with a deep persistent southerly flow and hot weather. It is tough though to sleep with out AC in summer anywhere much below Boston without AC though, so glad to see you have two window units.

On the other hand…I loved it the last few days! No shoes, no socks…the sun is beating down, already laid on the beach…it’s the way life is meant to be, no holed up in the house because it’s 30 F and everything is dead outside. From now till mid October there are only two weather variables…sunshine or rain. I hope it continues to late October – lol.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM

207 posts, read 452,616 times
LOL great thread JViello. We have been stuck in the house because of the heat. When it was in the 50's last week we couldn't get out fast enough and enjoy the parks. Cold & blankets in June sounds fine to me. We have been running our AC at night all week. >B

Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
Yeah, I would never tell people from the south that they will never need A/C up here, just like I wouldn't expect a FL person to tell me that I will never need heat down there (well, *possibly* not the Keys, but.........LOL).

Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
We have been stuck in the house because of the heat.
Just wait 'til July and August. This is nothing.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Several people have mentioned "putting the a/c in", so I assume they're talking about window units (or as I call them, window shakers). Do the majority of houses up there not have central a/c?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Several people have mentioned "putting the a/c in", so I assume they're talking about window units (or as I call them, window shakers). Do the majority of houses up there not have central a/c?
It depends on the neighborhood really - lots of houses have window units, but quite a few have central air too. I think the more affluent the community the more homes you'll find with central air. I have a few window units but once I can save enough $, I'll be getting it in. Anyone who suggests you can do without A/C in CT must have a high tolerance for the humidity.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:38 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

The older homes won't unless th eowner has central air installed, not sure about newer homes.

I live in an older house and I have to put in window units.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
The older homes won't unless th eowner has central air installed, not sure about newer homes.

I live in an older house and I have to put in window units.
Oh okay. It's pretty much that way down here too, the older wood homes with high ceilings have window units, but just about every house built after 1960 has central air. Most of the houses around here were built in the 60's and 70's so I guess that's why I'm used to it.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Just wait 'til July and August. This is nothing.
LOL Stop scaring people! That day was 89* with 78% humidity! A choker by CT Summer standards.

History : Weather Underground

If anyone wants to see current or historical weather data, I find Weather Underground to be the best source.

You can click on "historical data" enter your zip a date and then click on "month" an will bring up the historical weather data in calendar form for the entire month.

It's great if you want to see what "day to day" weather is REALLY like in X local instead of relying on averages and whatnot. Kind of cool.

Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut