Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Most likely along the Southern Tier Expressway (Route 17 and soon-to-be I-86) in Chautauqua County (where Jamestown is located).
That's the neck of the woods I grew up in and what I was referring to about the trade off between low cost of living and quality of jobs and healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 PM

11,291 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You would have to be pretty far from civilization to find a place like that for under $100,000, at least in the northeast. Jay
Actually, many parts of upstate NY would fit that bill (particularly western NY and the Southern Tier region mentioned earlier) and while for the most part winters are milder than in VT, they are closer to VT's winters than CT's.

My sister lives in suburban Buffalo and paid $175K (recently) for a huge house with lots of land that would probably go for $400-500K in most of CT and probably $900K+ in FFC. Small homes with little land and homes in the seedy parts of Buffalo go for under $100K, often much less than $100K.

But she's a tenured professor and has told me don't dare come up there and job hunt.....

Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 AM

57 posts, read 98,963 times
Snowman I with you buddy!! Unfortunately, I will have to wait many years until my kids are through school until I go hide away in the mountains! LOL
But, really, if you can swing that kind peace and seclusion I say go for it. I am a people person, but sometimes people can be over rated! :-)

Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoey924 View Post
Snowman I with you buddy!! Unfortunately, I will have to wait many years until my kids are through school until I go hide away in the mountains! LOL
But, really, if you can swing that kind peace and seclusion I say go for it. I am a people person, but sometimes people can be over rated! :-)
I know we're not alone in our thinking. I think most of it has to do with just being tired of stupid humans. There's just too many weeds growing out there and I know you know what I mean. This country went from 2 million people to 350million in a matter of a couple centuries. Just tired of all the stupidity out there.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Snowman,

You can thank me later; I've found your shangri-la... South Pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It has everything your looking for- cold temps, deep snow and isolation. Cant speak to the cost of living there though!

Good luck!
LMFAO!!! Tetto....now thats isolation. LOL A bit too extreme for me. I need at least a local town, "some" neighbors and somewhere you can drive without needing to stop for someone in front of you making a turn!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:52 AM

Looking at Belvidere, VT. Its less than 1100 feet above sea level which is hard to believe but its beautiful there with only 300 population in city... Down here 300 people live in 1 block. So sad.
http://www.vermontpeakproperties.com/images2/bel_0848.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,892,718 times
I'd live in an isolated area in a heartbeat, I don't like living close to people, either. But it's the cold up north that would get to me. Too bad there isn't a warmer Vermont or New Hampshire further south on the east coast. I guess some areas of North Carolina/Virginia might be similar in some ways, but not entirely.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
I know we're not alone in our thinking. I think most of it has to do with just being tired of stupid humans. There's just too many weeds growing out there and I know you know what I mean. This country went from 2 million people to 350million in a matter of a couple centuries. Just tired of all the stupidity out there.
What do you think you'll find in hardcore rural areas? I hate to break it to you, but there are strange people everywhere.

Wait, weren't you freaking out about a bees nest in your tree about a year ago and spraying your property down with every toxin known to man for "insect" control? Good luck living in the woods! lol

Old 05-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Wait, weren't you freaking out about a bees nest in your tree about a year ago and spraying your property down with every toxin known to man for "insect" control? Good luck living in the woods! lol
LMFAO!! YES!!! You got a great memory! I never sprayed anything on property(DOT just sprayed nest) and I keep holding off on spraying for ticks.

Yes, I fear my life from bugs. Mosquitos always after me. Ticks always after my dog. Allergic to bees. Hate Spiders.

This is probably why I love winter.. NO BUGS.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM

54 posts, read 153,693 times
Great thread...

I was actually surprised at the price.... 15k+/ac. that far off the beaten path seemed high. Shows what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut