Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,248 times

Advertisements

They should change their name to Pillage because that place is a rip-off considering they are dealing with retirees on fixed incomes! No wonder there are so many units for sale as well as foreclosures.
I'm trying to find a good retirement place for my aunt. I'm looking at realtor.com searching for 55 and up places and all I'm getting in my searches is Heritage Village. I called them to find out about a 1 bedroom 700 square foot unit. $399 a month in HOA fees! And those are the lowest fees! If your place is bigger it goes up to $599.
Anyone have any other suggestions for someplace in Fairfield or New Haven County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
there have been some posts here about Heritage and their veyr high HOA fees. Isn't there a couple of new large-scale complexes in Oxford? I don't remember the names but I thought they looked nice. Also I thought there was one in Danbury too. Honestly there are so many small complexes around I am surprised that you can't find any other than Heritage. Jay

Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
They should change their name to Pillage because that place is a rip-off considering they are dealing with retirees on fixed incomes! No wonder there are so many units for sale as well as foreclosures.
I'm trying to find a good retirement place for my aunt. I'm looking at realtor.com searching for 55 and up places and all I'm getting in my searches is Heritage Village. I called them to find out about a 1 bedroom 700 square foot unit. $399 a month in HOA fees! And those are the lowest fees! If your place is bigger it goes up to $599.
Anyone have any other suggestions for someplace in Fairfield or New Haven County?
The View at Long Hill in Shelton has modestly priced units. Hidden Meadows in Monroe is similarly modestly priced. Oronoque Village in Stratford is slightly more expensive and older than the above 2, but still modest. I have no idea about the common charges though.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
There is the Oxford Greens which is very nice - I'm actually playing that course tomorrow for the first time, it's said to be one of the best ones in the state. The homes are expensive, but they are very nice and a decent size - the average age is younger as well because it's fairly new. Lots of the neighbors there are incredibly friendly and there's a real "neighborhood feel" to each area of the development. It's definitely worth a look. I know the place on a personal level so if you want anymore info you can DM me.

The Golf Club at Oxford Greens - Home

Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
We recently moved my parents into a +55 community. They love it. CT has a nice selection of retirement communities. Google retirement living in CT and you will find many choices. I am sure one will be a good fit!

Connecticut All Retirement Communities and Retirement Homes on RetireNet.com

55+ Active Adult, Age Restricted & Active Lifestyle Communities CT Connecticut

Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,248 times
okay thanks! I'm going to check those sites and check out Oxford Greens.

Usually I'm pretty good at searching but for some reason, when I searched retirement communities in connecticut, it kept pulling independent living and assisted living places.
Then I was searching Realtor.com for homes for sale and it was only pulling homes from Heritage Village. So either the other places aren't listed in the MLS or they aren't in her price range. I was hoping for a condo for her under 150k with monthly fees around $200-250 tops

However, I asked my mom what the fees were in Florida for my grandparents' retirement place and she said those were $400 and let me tell you, their place didn't have a fraction of what Heritage Village has. So maybe HV isn't as bad as I thought. Their condos prices are great. I was just surprised by the fees. But apparently it wasn't much better in Florida.

I'll keep searching. Thanks all for the help!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I think you are going to have a hard time finding a place in that part of the state for $150,000. condo prices in that area are generally much higher. that maybe why you are only getting Heritage. They are older a usually less expensive.

Another problem with Heritage is that they are older units and have poor insulation. On top of that I believe they are electric heat so it will be pretty pricey to heat the place. Jay

Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
The Oxford Greens Village is an upscale development where most of the units are between 400k and 600k. I agree with Jay that you'll have a hard time finding something for 150k in western CT.

Heritage Village, while older, is in an incredibly beautiful area. I'd check it out.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
2 of the 3 complexes that i mentioned above will certainly have units at that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut