Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,338 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
CT is very new to me, but my husband and i (and baby in the oven) went up to Falls village last weekend and began a little house hunting there. We love the area - it's quaint and beautiful and SOOOO not anything like stressful New York City (which we are currently trying to escape.)

I guess i have two questions:

1. my husband would be commuting a few days a week into the city. Is this insane? It would probably only be 3 days/week. Just wondering if people do this. He could drive sometimes (i know, around 2 hrs) but he'd probably also take the train from Wassaic a fair amount. I've heard that is about 2 hrs as well - is that true?

2. What sorts of stores are there in the area? i will admit, I grew up in a suburb where EVERYTHING was a chain. I certainly don't need chains. BUT, with a baby on the way, I'm wondering if it's relatively easy to get things I'll need in that area (especially for baby.) Also, are there any pet supply stores nearby? Any other practical insights like that would be great.

Thanks so much for your time!
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM

34,935 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Falls Village is in northwestern Connecticut and is about 100 miles from New York. Commuting from there would be at least 2 1/2 hours, more during peak times. That is not something I would want to do. Also, this is a very rural part of the state so you will have to travel pretty far for any major shopping or entertainment. While this area is beautiful there are sections of Connecticut that are just as charming but closer to New York. Have you considered the Danbury area? New Milford is another charming town that is closer to NY and has most major shopping needs. Good luck, Jay

Old 05-12-2010, 03:07 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Holy yikes!! Danbury area and Falls Village aren't even on the same planet!! I didn't even have a lock on the door to my house the firsy 5 years I lived in the area, and I left my home for weeks at a time. Try that in New Milford / Danbury.

Kris to answer some of your questions.

If your husband can handle that kind of commute a couple times aweek, go for it.

For "chain" shopping, Torrington,35-45 minutes SE is where I go, or Great Barrington Ma, 20 minutes north. For more upscale shopping there is Avon, 35 minutes east, and Lee MA, 40 minutes north has a decent outlet mall.

For most shopping needs though grocery, pet supplies, etc. there's plenty with all the small local stores and also the Super Stop and Shop in the center of North Canaan. Also you really can't get much better foods than what is in the area. Produce you can grow your own, or there are tons of places to buy it local, and meats, diary, eggs can also be bought form the small local farms direct if you like that kind of thing.

Also, those commutes to the local chain places. I don't know how you two feel about it. But my view is there is a big difference between a no stress, very little traffic 30 minutes than a bumper to bumper, horn blowing 30 minutes. Anytime I travel to any of the places listed above, rarely is there any traffic to deal with.

BTW. if you do your research, there's one town in the area here that has signifigantly less of a tax rate than all the surrounding towns.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, go ahead and ask. Also if you don't already have a realtor, let me know, I may have some suggestions.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 AM

34,935 posts, read 56,945,109 times
A three hour commute each way is pretty long to do three days a week. That is six hours a day. While certainly not as rural, New Milford and some of the towns in the Danbury area would give them some of the charm they are looking for, yet a lot closer to New York. Are they the same? No, but they can be close and have the amenities the OP was also asking about. Jay

Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,428 times
Quote:
BTW. if you do your research, there's one town in the area here that has signifigantly less of a tax rate than all the surrounding towns.
I'm practically peeing my pants. What's that town?

I kind of have to disagree on Avon being 35 minutes away. Maybe I just don't know the short cuts but I live in Avon and whenever we've gone to most towns in Litchfield county, especially the further northwest towns, it always takes an hour. Sometimes more. Maybe there are back roads or something.

JMO, I wouldn't consider moving that far for a 3 day a week commute. One day a week, yes. But not 3. Unless your husband plans on staying in the city those nights. But then you have hotel expenses and where do you park? Get something closer to a train station and then you can have a further commute. But to drive everyday? No way.
We have been house hunting for this past year. We rent in Avon and we need something that is more commutable to Manhattan 2 days a week for my husband. Pretty much all of Litchfield county is just too far. It's beautiful and I'd love to live there. But I don't think anyone living there commutes to Manhattan for any long period of time. There's a reason it's full of authors, artists, people w/ 2nd homes. It's just not a good place to live to commute even 3 days.
And then there's the issue of what if your husband's job changes their mind and says "Oh yeah, we're going to need you in the office 5 days a week now." That has happened to more than one person who bought a house based on mostly telecommuting only to have the company change their mind or worse, they lose their job.
Not to be all Debbie Downer. It's just we are going through this now. It's a real PITA.
Best of luck.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 PM

OPM: Mill Rates

google is your friend

Check out Sharon and Salisbury...

Kris, sorry I haven't been able to repond to you DM yet. Work is crazy busy and on top of that I'm prepping for my friend's wedding this weekend that I am best man in. Normally I'm so good with responses, but it's been so mad I almost feel like I'M the one getting married.. LOL.. I promise I'll get back to you soon. I think I may have some insight for you seeing as I myself am a transplant in the Salisbury/Canaan area from about 10 years ago...

best wishes..

Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM

thanks for all the replies everybody!
we actually just yesterday saw a place in Sharon that caught our eye. that, by all accounts, is more like a true 2 hour commute, closer to the train too...

Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 PM

One of a few reasons alot of people like Sharon, including Kevin Bacon and his wife.. Close to the train, close to rt 22 and 684, and also the mill rate.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM

57 posts, read 98,999 times
I just turned down a job offer in this area because of the driving. i moved to W. Hartford and would have to go up rte. 44. On a normal day that would take an hour and a half. I've been told that in the winter it could be double that at least and the accidents are numerous! I wasn't going to do that and I'm sure you don't want your husband doing it. Beautiful area though!!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoey924 View Post
I just turned down a job offer in this area because of the driving. i moved to W. Hartford and would have to go up rte. 44. On a normal day that would take an hour and a half. I've been told that in the winter it could be double that at least and the accidents are numerous! I wasn't going to do that and I'm sure you don't want your husband doing it. Beautiful area though!!
very true about the driving. If we end up in Sharon area or thereabouts, he'd utilize the train more often than not. scary winter driving.

It's tricky for us because our budget is really limited so a lot of the closer locations are out of our price range. that's the only reason why we're considering biting the bullet and doing the longer commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut