Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,819 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. Any strong opinions for Manchester vs. East Hartford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM

29 posts, read 92,269 times
I'm partial to Manchester - I think it has more to offer with variety of neighborhoods, shopping, hiking & biking trails etc. May be a little more in price for rent/housing but I think it's worth it. There are some areas of East Hartford that are OK for residential housing but seems like most of the rental areas aren't great.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
I grew up in East Hartford- well that was from the late 50s to beyond.

The town has changed much since then. It has become much more diverse.

The town has some rough areas- off Burnside Av and Tolland street.

But its not as bad as many make it out to be.

The taxes for property are low- the town has very good services,

excellent library system and some nice parks; and a good town government that is very responsive.

Manchester just to the east- where I lived from 1989-1999 is another town

that has become more diverse. The Main street is very pleasant and typical 'New England'. There are some very good restaurants, a fine park

and library system, and a very progressive and proactive school system.

Manchester has some very nice areas around Porter street and Highland Park.

Manchester is known as a shoppers mecca- with a large Mall and other shops including Evergreen Walk in nearby South Windsor.

I prefer Manchester slighlty-

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-14-2007 at 02:31 PM..

Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,056 times
I think that everything depends on finding the right apartment. By looking around at as many different places available as possible, you'll begin to realize what it is that you are really looking for. Maybe you want friendly neighbors, or a neighborhood that has some flavor to it other than just a bland complex of some sort. Maybe you desire a certain combination of factors that makes you feel more comfortable and right at home. A local bar, or a diner, or having an easier commute to work. If the right place isn't available when you're looking, then maybe you shouldn't prejudge exactly where you're next move will be.
It's nice to be able to go to a certain mall, or the Silas Deane Highway, or the Berlin Turnpike, or Vernon etc... if that's what you are expecting to be able to do from your new location. But if you're not really sure, then maybe Willimantic, Rockville or Vernon has the right housing opportunity for you.
Isn't that really what you're looking for? Comfortable housing with some recreational opportunities? That's probably available in a lot of communities, depending on what housing is available that you like. Always consider the time and expense it takes to commute to work. You can always drive to where you choose to participate in recreation.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:13 PM

162 posts, read 849,487 times
Default forum

I live in East Hartford (have been here 25 years). My parents lived in Manchestser for 15 years. I like both towns, but I prefer the location of East Hartford. I live off of O'Connell Drive. Most places on Forbes St. or off of it are nice and many other areas. Some parts near Burnside Ave. are not good, nor is Main St. in East Hartford. Downtown East Hartford does not have much at all. What I like about the location is that within a few minutes I can get on most major highways - Rt. 2, 91, 84 - it's great. Downtown Manchester has a bit more in the town. Manchester is an older town - Main St. has an old town feel to it. Manchester would have better rental opportunities I think overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut