Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:10 PM
SWP SWP started this thread

14 posts, read 44,774 times

Advertisements

I wish to move to the New England area from the PNW. I have lived here for three years and gotta leave. I will be purchasing a home and value safety. I'm a self-employed artist and need to be near water, parks, zoo, botanical gardens, and nautical scenery. I'm also interested in an area that has a singles population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:16 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
What do you consider being "Near" a zoo?? less then 30 mintue drive, less then 10, or less then an hour or so??

Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
SWP SWP started this thread

14 posts, read 44,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
What do you consider being "Near" a zoo?? less then 30 mintue drive, less then 10, or less then an hour or so??
Well, I do not go to the zoo all the time. Within 30 minutes would be nice. I go there to take wildlife pics, part of my work. On average I probably visit 3-4 times per year.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:32 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
The only Zoo in CT is located in Bridgeport, CT though I would NOT recommend you live there.
As far as botanical gardens there are some allover the state. Being within a half hour of the ocean would limit your search to the southern areas of CT.
Fairfield county which is along the southwest corner of the state on the water is the most expensive.
I would look into New Haven County areas. that way you are near the water (within 30 min) and close enough to commute to the zoo a few times a year.
With a price point I could give you some towns.
But since you like safety it definitely rules out many cities.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I was thinking about maybe a place like Mystic.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:14 PM

109 posts, read 437,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
I wish to move to the New England area from the PNW. I have lived here for three years and gotta leave. I will be purchasing a home and value safety. I'm a self-employed artist and need to be near water, parks, zoo, botanical gardens, and nautical scenery. I'm also interested in an area that has a singles population.
The only zoo in CT is in Bridgeport and is not worth visiting, IMO. The Bronx Zoo in New York and the Providence, RI zoo are both nice zoos.

New England is a wonderful region to live, IMO. I am a transplant and love it here. I wish CT had a better zoo though.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
I would suggest somewhere near New Haven--Stony Creek, Guilford and Madison are all on the water; Hamden, Cheshire and North Haven are more suburban but there is a state park (Sleeping Giant) in Hamden; Cheshire is what I think of when I imagine a charming NE town [in that area] but it is not on the water.
All of those towns are within 30-45 minutes of New Haven, where there is Yale University, a singles population, great restaurants (especially pizza) and the Peabody Museum of Natural History. No botanical gardens nor a zoo, though...
My rec would be Guilford, although it would require a commute to neighboring towns for all the activities that you wish to do.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times
You don't specify a price range. My first suggestion (and priciest) would be Darien. You'd be an hour from the Bronx Zoo, on the water, and close to Stamford and Norwalk for singles activities.

Mystic would be my second suggestion.

The Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport is very small, geared towards younger kids and nothing like the Bronz Zoo. It probably wouldn't have what you need. However, it's a nice zoo to visit with young children.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:23 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
There could be some good photo opportunities at the Beardsley Zoo. It is a small zoo and the animals are pretty close up to you most of the time. It als has a great carousil that has horses that date back nearly 100 years. Jay

Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
Westport, if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut