Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM

15 posts, read 26,415 times

Advertisements

We're both 26yrs old and moving from philadelphia to hartford county. I have grown up in farmington, ct and have a lot of family here. After moving to Philadelphia from farmington a few years back I'm a bit worried about having a lack of oppurtunities to go bar/restaurant hopping as we currently do in Philly. Both of us want an area where we can walk to or have a short drive to a lively 'happenning' area. So it seems as if we'll be limited to the farmington ave vicinity in farmington, west hartford (whart center/blue back etc) or to the downtown hartford area. I'm also considering living in newington or other such areas with good access to highways. My fiance's work will be in Cheshire, Ct and we would probably be looking to spend less than 200k on preferably 2+ bd/bath. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
West Hartford wouldn't be a terrible commute to Cheshire and it's really the only town with a lot of entertainment in walking distance, as I'm sure you know.
You could also possibly look in to Middletown and see if that is something you would like.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:26 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
First understand that Philidelphia is a very large city so you are not going to find as many or as wide of a variety of entertainment options there.

That said, I think West Hartford would be the first choice and then Middletown. Both have alot of restaurants and nightlife. I am not sure you will find what you are looking for in West Hartford for that price but you should be able to in Middletown. If these are not to your liking then you might have to head down to New Haven. Jay

Old 05-27-2010, 03:08 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,699 times
For a house in West Hartford, $200K or less is pretty tough for a house, particularly if you're looking for 2+ bathrooms. There will be 2 bed, 1.5 bath options, they'll just be small. But that's doable and reasonable if it's your first house.

You'll have some condo options in that price range in West Hartford too, they most likely won't have 2 baths. There are some close to the Center/Blue Back though.

A commute from West Hartford to Chesire would be doable. It's a reverse commute, so there shouldn't be that much traffic. You're looking at probably 25 minutes, depending on where she's going in Cheshire. If you lived in Downtown Hartford the commute would be worse because you'd have to deal with traffic on I-84 in the city in the morning.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:18 PM

15 posts, read 26,415 times
I think we're leaning heavily towards purchasing a condo rather than a house, if we do decide on buying. We are also considering renting if we can find at minimum a 1br 1ba apt for around 600-900 / month in an area that is compatible enough with what we want.

...on a side note: does anyone know what a good mortgage lender would be for the first time buyer program in ct?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 9,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNMickens View Post
I think we're leaning heavily towards purchasing a condo rather than a house, if we do decide on buying. We are also considering renting if we can find at minimum a 1br 1ba apt for around 600-900 / month in an area that is compatible enough with what we want.

...on a side note: does anyone know what a good mortgage lender would be for the first time buyer program in ct?

sent you a DM

Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Where is your fiancé's job be in Cheshire. If it's in southern Cheshire and he has to take Route 10, that could add at least 15 minutes more that if the job were in northern Cheshire.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
I think you've missed the boat on the first time buyer program. You had to have gone to contract by 4/30/10. Your best bet for a condo with nightlife nearby is West Hartford. There are several condo developments nearby, some go for as little as 150K for a 2 BR.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:41 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,999 times
If you live in downtown Hartford there might be transit to the job in Cheshire.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:27 PM

8 posts, read 24,680 times
What about New haven area?? New haven night life is a lot of fun and a pretty good commute to Cheshire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut