Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:43 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Reminder::
DPS: Fireworks - Illegal in Connecticut

Office of State Fire Marshal

Fireworks - Illegal in Connecticut

ALL FIREWORKS (with the exception of sparklers) ARE ILLEGAL in Connecticut and may NOT be sold, purchased or used, with the EXCEPTION of regulated fireworks displays by state licensed, professional pyrotechnicians at sites which have been approved by state and local officials. Fireworks are defined by law as "any combustible or explosive composition prepared for the purpose of producing a visible or audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation." Novelties, and trick noise makers such as smoke bombs, party poppers and snappers and the "snake", and are banned by Connecticut General Statute 29-357.

Effective June 1, 2000, Public Act 00-198 allows any person who is sixteen years of age or older to buy, sell and use sparklers of not more than one hundred grams of pyrotechnic mixture which are non-explosive and non-aerial.

PA-06-177 added new subdivisions to CGS 29-357 relating to the some compounds that are prohibited in sparklers and fountians as well as adding a total pyrotechnic composition if more than one fountian is mounted on a common base. Public Act 06-177 also added Fountians to this category and provided definitions for 'sparklers' and 'fountians' that are found in CGS 29-356.

Larger so-called "fire crackers" are actually explosive devices which are banned by both state and federal law. They include M-80’s, M-100’s, M-250’s and larger, cherry bombs, quarter sticks, block busters and other similar devices. Possession of these devices is prohibited by Connecticut General Statute 29-348, Illegal Possession of Explosives; manufacture of these devices is prohibited by Connecticut General Statute 53-80a., Manufacture of Bombs. The only exceptions to the fireworks statute are paper caps which contain less than .025 grains of explosive material.

Transportation to Connecticut of fireworks which have been privately purchased out-of-state is illegal. The fine for violation of transportation regulations is not more than $1,000 for a first offense; persons found guilty of subsequent offenses will be fined not less than $1,000 and not more than $2,000, or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. If injury or death results from such violation, the fine shall be not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than ten years, or both. To order and purchase fireworks by mail is illegal in Connecticut.

Violation of CGS 29-357(d) calls for a fine of not more than $100 or a prison term of not more than 90 days or both; offering for sale, exposing for sale, or selling at retail or possessing with intent to sell a value exceeding $10,000 is a Class A misdemeanor.

The penalty for illegal possession of explosives, CGS 29-348, is a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment of not more than 10 years, or both for each offense.

Violation of CGS 53-80a (manufacture of bombs) is a Class B felony; if a fire caused by fireworks is determined to be arson, first degree (CGS 53a-111), it is a Class A felony; 53a-112 arson second degree, Class B felony; arson, third degree, Class C felony; or if such a fire is determined to be reckless burning, (53a-114), it is a Class D felony.

The only safe way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted at a state approved site by state-licensed pyro-technicians.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:14 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Isn't it incredible, one of the most popular ways (and suggested by our founders) of celebrating our freedom, is banned by the almighty nanny state.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 PM

257 posts, read 609,919 times
No one I know follows that law....if anything a cop comes by and says to stop.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 PM

VT huh? No one follows VT's fireworks laws either, and there's no resources to really enforce them except in cases of people being extremely dangerous. The local police a year or two ago basically told the newspaper, they weren't going to enforce the law.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:44 PM

Hehehe, he'll be ridden out of state on a rail before VT's gun laws change. And he will see guns, and illegal fireworks.

Last edited by JayCT; 05-29-2010 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 05-30-2010, 05:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I hate neighborhood fireworks. We live in a wooded area, built up from badly nourished former farmland that had turned to sand decades ago. Trees flourish...but it's dry. Trees + dry = tinder. And yet these morons on either side of our house think it's fun to let their 10-year-old kids set off M-100's near the dog in the back yard, and toss a full unopened package of salutes, lit at one end, up in the air and giggle with glee when they discover that they landed inches from the neighbor, singeing her eyebrows on the way down.

What kind of disgusting, sick mental disorder do people have, that only come out around the 4th of July that makes them get off on this crap?

I mean, I could put up with it the day before, of, and after. I can pop an extra xanax, send my cat to my sister (since my cat is terrified by sudden loud noises), and keep the hose handy in case their rockets land ON my maple tree (which it's done before).

But they start this in early June, and they don't stop til well into August.

The reason they are so inconsiderate, is because the police don't enforce the laws. There was a woman down the street who ended up losing skin on her leg and had to get grafts from her hip to replace it, because he son shot off an M-80 in the summer, throwing it in the air and not considering the fact that the wind would blow it right over to where his mom was standing. And she, too busy on her cell phone to pay attention to her minor son playing with illegal fireworks, didn't notice it was coming her way until it went BANG against her leg.

I sometimes wish these mindless freaks would go overboard more often just so nature could cull its own herd. Clearly this isn't the most efficient way. They just keep breeding more.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:51 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Every year on Memorial Day weekend and July fourth we call on our neighbor who shoots very large ones off for 45 minutes at a time at 10pm and it wakes our children.
The cops come out and then the fireworks stop..

Old 05-30-2010, 06:01 AM

207 posts, read 452,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post

The only safe way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted at a state approved site by state-licensed pyro-technicians.
safe ....last time I was at a state approved fireworks event the wind started blowing towards the crowd and the pieces of the mortar shells began falling on the spectators. several people were hospitalized. perhaps someone should try and think for themselves and stop listening to the propaganda. Fireworks just like a car are only as safe as the person in control. maybe we should only use public transportation too.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:47 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
My brother bought a bunch of fireworks a couple years ago, coming back from (iirc) West Virginia. At least he decided to shoot them off at 9 at night rather than later.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I hate neighborhood fireworks. We live in a wooded area, built up from badly nourished former farmland that had turned to sand decades ago. Trees flourish...but it's dry. Trees + dry = tinder. And yet these morons on either side of our house think it's fun to let their 10-year-old kids set off M-100's near the dog in the back yard, and toss a full unopened package of salutes, lit at one end, up in the air and giggle with glee when they discover that they landed inches from the neighbor, singeing her eyebrows on the way down.

What kind of disgusting, sick mental disorder do people have, that only come out around the 4th of July that makes them get off on this crap?

I mean, I could put up with it the day before, of, and after. I can pop an extra xanax, send my cat to my sister (since my cat is terrified by sudden loud noises), and keep the hose handy in case their rockets land ON my maple tree (which it's done before).

But they start this in early June, and they don't stop til well into August.

The reason they are so inconsiderate, is because the police don't enforce the laws. There was a woman down the street who ended up losing skin on her leg and had to get grafts from her hip to replace it, because he son shot off an M-80 in the summer, throwing it in the air and not considering the fact that the wind would blow it right over to where his mom was standing. And she, too busy on her cell phone to pay attention to her minor son playing with illegal fireworks, didn't notice it was coming her way until it went BANG against her leg.

I sometimes wish these mindless freaks would go overboard more often just so nature could cull its own herd. Clearly this isn't the most efficient way. They just keep breeding more.
Xanax? "mindless freaks"? Maimed people all over your neighborhood? 3 months of non stop fireworks.

I have news for you "M-x's" are looooong gone and have been illegal in the entire united states so I'm not sure if you are just remember something from 10 years ago or these people are making homemade pipe bombs.

What most of us are talking about are things like this:

flvPlayback (http://flashplayer.streamos.com/flvplayer.php?url=http://aristotle.edgeboss.net/flash/aristotle/0429/G-015.flv&TB_iframe=true - broken link)

Yea, real radical stuff there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Every year on Memorial Day weekend and July fourth we call on our neighbor who shoots very large ones off for 45 minutes at a time at 10pm and it wakes our children.
The cops come out and then the fireworks stop..
Hmm, that's funny because my neighbor wakes up the kids to come out and watch. I bet they have more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut