Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,883,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Trumbull is about 25 miles from Danbury but it is all backroads and will take about 45 minutes to an hour depending on where you live and where your husband works. Plus Trumbull is kind of a pricey town. I believe you would get more for your money in Brookfield or New Fairfield. As others noted, there is a lot of shopping along Federal Road and personally I think the Danbury Mall beats Westfield (or whatever the name of Trumbull Shopping Park is this week by their obnoxious owners) by a mile. As for schools, New Fairfield and Brookfield schools are very good. Their test scores are generally higher in some categories than Trumbull or Monroe.

As for Bridgeport being close to Trumbull, not all of Bridgeport is bad. In fact most of it is pretty nice. Generally I would say to stay north of the Merritt Parkway when looking for a house in Trumbull or if south of the parkway stay west of Main Street or Frenchtown Road. again though you will get more for your money in the Danbury area. Jay
I tend to agree. If the job is in Danbury, you might as well live in one of the towns around there, which are a lot cheaper than towns further south in Fairfield County such as Trumbull.

Trumbull doesn't have a lot of shopping. Monroe has more. But there's no reason to go that far south when there are suburban towns right in the Danbury area that offer a closer commute and more house for the money.

I have to disagree about Bridgeport. There are very limited areas of Bridgeport where it would be desirable to live, and Bridgeport is further from Danbury than Trumbull is. And if you have kids, forget Bridgeport -- the schools are abysmal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,831,899 times
I agree that Trumbull is too suburban for the OP. Since schools are important, I'd look into Ridgefield, Bethel, or Newtown, or possibly Brookfield. In Ct. when you move into a city, the schools tend to be less desirable. You might want to stick to the suburbs immediately surrounding Danbury, that way you will stick have quick access to shopping and restaurants.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I have to disagree about Bridgeport. There are very limited areas of Bridgeport where it would be desirable to live, and Bridgeport is further from Danbury than Trumbull is. And if you have kids, forget Bridgeport -- the schools are abysmal.
Actually Dazzleman, I thought you lived near Bridgeport. I was not recommending Bridgeport but pointing out that just because Trumbull is located adjacent to Bridgeport, there is no reason to not consider it as a place to live. The North End is very nice with a lot of nice middle class homes and is very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate4nyy View Post
Thanks for the comments. Newtown, Bethel and Brookfield seem a bit rural to me - I'm originally from Northern NJ and living in Cobb County, GA where there's an abundance of stores and restaurants all around. That's why I was looking more south - closer to the areas of Westport, Stamford, etc. where there appears to be more amenities - and more than just the standard box stores of Walmart, Best Buy, etc.
Trumbull has some shopping but as noted it is somewhat limited to the mall and some strip centers around town. Many people in Trumbull end of shopping on North Main Street in Bridgeport though which is very convenient. The neighborhoods in Trumbull tend to be a bit more subdivision like and are not what many would consider dense or mature.

If you are looking for a more mature area, then I agree that you might want to check out Fairfield rather than Trumbull. It has the downtown area and older denser neighborhoods (a little bit like New Jersey) plus a lot of great shops and restaurants and may be more to your liking. Jay

Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
The neighborhoods in Trumbull tend to be a bit more subdivision like and are not what many would consider dense or mature.
That's interesting, because to me, Trumbull is very dense. So many of the neighborhoods are densely developed with homes on 1/4-1/2 acre lots, or even less. I feel claustrophic in many parts of Trumbull.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That's interesting, because to me, Trumbull is very dense. So many of the neighborhoods are densely developed with homes on 1/4-1/2 acre lots, or even less. I feel claustrophic in many parts of Trumbull.
There are not too many sections of Trumbull with less than 1/4 acre lots (actually I am not sure of any) with most being 1/2 to 1 acre. Fairfield has a number of neighborhoods with less than 1/4 acre but it also has a large section with 2 acre lots. For lack of better description Trumbull is more suburban while Fairfield is more urban. It has mostly to do with when they were developed. Most of Trumbull was built after World War 2 so it is very car oriented. Fairfield started to develop before the war so it is a little more pedestrian oriented. Jay

Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM

You might be right, it might be more like 1/3 acre in some areas, although I go to tag sales along Rt. 111 and the homes do seem very clustered together in many areas, smaller than 1/3 acre. If you drive into the neighborhoods alongside Rt. 111 throughout Trumbull, and along the southern Trumbull border north of the Parkway, (and even south of the parkway) you will see a lot of neighborhoods on smaller lots. To see what I mean, look at a map of Trumbull. The larger lots you are thinking of are in Tashua, and along the Easton border, and off Daniel's Farm Rd and the Nichols area.

I remembered reading a post by a Trumbull resident here awhile ago that mentioned lot sizes in one area, and looked it up. I'm not saying the "dense" areas are necessarily a bad thing, many people do like living in close-knit neighborhoods.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...rumbull-3.html

(Editing to say that I just did a "for sale" search in Trumbull, and found numerous properties for sale on less than 1/4 acre in Trumbull)

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 06-03-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,883,620 times
Quote:
Actually Dazzleman, I thought you lived near Bridgeport. I was not recommending Bridgeport but pointing out that just because Trumbull is located adjacent to Bridgeport, there is no reason to not consider it as a place to live. The North End is very nice with a lot of nice middle class homes and is very safe.

Jay, I do live near Bridgeport. Only about a mile away. I used to live a block away. My brother lives in the North End.

I didn't mean to say all of Bridgeport is bad, but it has a terrible school system. I thought you were talking about living in Bridgeport proper. I agree that there's no reason not to live near a nice section of Bridgeport (or even in a nice section of Bridgeport if you won't be using the school system).

Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,826,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
(Editing to say that I just did a "for sale" search in Trumbull, and found numerous properties for sale on less than 1/4 acre in Trumbull)
Trumbull has some gorgeous "planned communties" that are detached condos tucked away in spots. Some are +55. Hawthorne Ridge, Governor's Ridge, Bridle Trail, and Colonial Village are a few examples.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 AM

No, those were detached homes I saw for sale. The lots were just under 1/4 acre in size. LOL, am I the only one that has seen these neighborhoods? I used to buy and sell on eBay a lot, and every weekend went to tag and estate sales in the area. I have been all over Trumbull. A lot of people think of Trumbull as being a high-priced suburb with homes on large lots, but people wanting to move into town who are on a budget would be surprised as to what is available there.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,161 times
>>>>There are not too many sections of Trumbull with less than 1/4 acre lots (actually I am not sure of any) with most being 1/2 to 1 acre. Fairfield has a number of neighborhoods with less than 1/4 acre but it also has a large section with 2 acre lots. For lack of better description Trumbull is more suburban while Fairfield is more urban. It has mostly to do with when they were developed. Most of Trumbull was built after World War 2 so it is very car oriented. Fairfield started to develop before the war so it is a little more pedestrian oriented. Jay<<<<<<

I live in the Frenchtown area of Trumbull and our lot is .21 acres. We have lots of smaller acreages in town, many on less than 1/4 acre.

You are right about one thing Trumbull built many homes during the housing boom of the 50's-70's, back before there were strict zoning minimums. Which is why we have so many small homes on smaller lots. The Trumbull center area of town along with Upper Long Hill are the densest areas of town. Nowadays we have 1/2 acre and 1 acre zoning. But not back then. This makes our town very desirable both to those looking for a good bargain, and those seeking housing on larger lots like in North Trumbull. Tashua is a very nice area, I think we are famous for it. Probably why Trumbull has such a reputation as being so wealthy. I guess a fairy tale is more entertaining than the truth. But it's not like that in the whole town, not at all. We are a mixed bag. It's very down to earth here, except for northern Trumbull residents. They are a bit reclusive, snobbish if you will. But come check out the rest of Trumbull, we are very friendly here. And our schools are excellent. And we have plenty of restaurants and places to shop. Oh and not to forget, we have many, many parks here.

And I don't find our little neighborhoods claustrophobic at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut