Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,521 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Troy NY and it's probably one of the worst places in the world to raise children. We constantly here gun shots or fights in the area. My house has been broken into.... I'm just really scarred and want to move.. can anyone recommend good areas in either Connecticut or Long Island??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
In Connecticut, I'd say anywhere other than the immediate vicinity of "downtown" anywhere. So, the half-mile circumference around downtown meriden, hartford, new haven, new london, bridgeport, and for some reason the urban sprawl of Connecticut decreed years ago that Newhallville between Hamden and New Haven belonged to it. So avoid that too.

Those are the only places, really, that you would ask your wife, "Myra, was that ANOTHER gunshot?" to which she would reply, "Yeah Herman, turn up the TV will ya? Damned fool kids out there gonna drown out CIS."

Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Those are the only places, really, that you would ask your wife, "Myra, was that ANOTHER gunshot?" to which she would reply, "Yeah Herman, turn up the TV will ya? Damned fool kids out there gonna drown out CIS."
*Snort*

Thanks for the Friday giggle.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,754,873 times
Hmmm. So the OP is writing off all of New York State (except for Long Island) because of Troy. From my experience, Troy would probably be similar to Willimantic or New London...hardly a Bridgeport or Hartford.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 PM

8 posts, read 34,921 times
Are you looking to buy/rent? modest or middle of the road home? want rural area or more suburbs?

There are a lot of wonderful communities at different income levels..
for example:

Fairfield County have really nice areas but is on the pricey side to reside...

New Haven County - specifically Milford, Trumball, Monroe, North Haven, Oxford, et al are more middle of the road and also wonderful areas for kids - some of them are classic suburbs neighborhoods (multiple houses on a street) and some have homes on 1 acre +/- so you don't see your neighbors and can feel quite cozy..

Those are the two closet counties to NY/Long Island Area, the other counties also have wonderful places, but it all depends how far you want to be away from NY...

Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 PM

220 posts, read 524,848 times
Based on my experience Troy is nicer than many parts of New Haven (and I lived in Saratoga Springs, which is considerably nicer than both, for 18 years).

I'm also curious as to why you're looking at Connecticut and Long Island instead of other parts of upstate NY - the cost of living is generally comparable (outside of Fairfield County, which is way more expensive), and while it's a little warmer/less snowy down here, it's not that all that much better during the winter. Coastal parts of CT also are probably much more crowded than the rest of the Capital Region. If you really just want to get out of NY entirely, then that's fine, but there are some very nice places that are much, much better than Troy within half an hour of where you are now. If housing costs are an issue I'd think you'd have more luck up north as well.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,754,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxab12 View Post
New Haven County - specifically Milford, Trumball, Monroe, North Haven, Oxford, et al are more middle of the road and also wonderful areas for kids - some of them are classic suburbs neighborhoods (multiple houses on a street) and some have homes on 1 acre +/- so you don't see your neighbors and can feel quite cozy..
Trumbull and Monroe are in Fairfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut