Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times

Advertisements

will cut me a deal on getting free HD for life or will they let me walk to Directv? I am getting ripped off paying an extra $20/month for all my HD channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 03:18 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Do you know what kind of *better* deal you will be getting from
*the Other provider* ?

If Yes, Tell your present provider you want to cancel your contract,
and say why ...

They usually try to keep you and make a *deal* with you.

I do this ALL the time, with many services.
The last one was my Internet connection.
They upgraded me to the next higher speed,
just because we have been with them for so long,
AND I mentioned that I can get a better deal from their competition.

Competition, is what keeps us all going.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
Generally there is an early contract termination fee.... so they kind of have you cornered and they know it... so you can try. Now if you are out of contract.... yes... they will definitely match it.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
We called and asked about this because we see all the commercials for new customers. We've been with them for 13 years. They wouldn't do a thing. Not a thing.

We were under contract because we had gotten an upgraded receiver in January. But when my husband first called and talked to someone, he specifically asked if we were under contract. The guy said we were not. We decided then that we were tired of paying for t.v. and we were just going to get rid of it - not even switch to another provider.

Most of what we watched anyway were the basic networks. So we went and got an antenna, made sure all worked, then called Dish to cancel. That's when she told us we were under contract. That the previous person was misinformed. She could care less than we were leaving. We decided to eat the termination fee and be done with it.

I hated paying the fee, but not paying for t.v. feels great and we actually watch much less! And believe it or not, the HD that directly feeds from the t.v. stations is way better than what came through Dish.

We do have Netflicks, so we get the instant watch stuff that is great.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
will cut me a deal on getting free HD for life or will they let me walk to Directv? I am getting ripped off paying an extra $20/month for all my HD channels.
Fwiw, I thought the same thing as you and called Dish - I was already put on "free HD for Life", I think the condition was paperless billing, which I already have. Keep in mind though that the advertised price is a 12 month special with a two year contract, but you should be able to get the normal reduced pricing without a contract. You might as well call and see.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:52 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
I have a way out of the contract, if we even have one. We took in my elderly dad when he could no longer take care of himself. When he moved in, he brought his Dish Network account with him and upgraded to include our TV and upgrade to DVR and HD channels.

Dad passed away in Feb and we have been paying every month like normal. If they don't let us out of the contract (if we have one), I will just stop paying it. They can send us empty boxes for us to send our receivers back and be done with them. And no, they cannot force family to pay on accounts of deceased. Dad had a balance on his Discover Card. When he passed, they called and asked if anyone wanted to take over payments and the account. We said no and they wrote it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics