Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:41 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
After all, aren't WE, some of the nicest and friendliest people in the entire state?
NO!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Ok first list all of your components including any cable boxes then we'll square away your plan and have your home sounding good.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
You paid good money for a PS3 and you're not getting it's full benefit!

Outside of spending $500+ for a dedicated blu-ray player, the PS3 is recommend as one of the best blu-ray players on the market today.
If you have a PS3 you can use that other sony DVD player as a door stop. Don't worry about "Burning out" the PS3. I use my PS3 heavily and it's going strong.
Get a HDMI and optical cable from monoprice.com. The crisp image you will see on your new HDTV will make you never go back to RCA or component. You might also notice a higher fidelity in your audio too. HDMI for the PS3 video into the TV, optical for the sound PS3 into your receiver.

I don't know what you have for standard TV viewing, but if you have a HD cable box you could grab another HDMI cable for that too. if you want cableTV to play through the receiver than you might need to go digital coax for audio from the cable box to receiver, as the receiver only has 1 optical input.

hope this helps a bit

Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 PM

284 posts, read 985,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Ok first list all of your components including any cable boxes then we'll square away your plan and have your home sounding good.
I have a Verizon DVR-HD box and listed all of the componet's earlier in the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
You paid good money for a PS3 and you're not getting it's full benefit!

Outside of spending $500+ for a dedicated blu-ray player, the PS3 is recommend as one of the best blu-ray players on the market today.
If you have a PS3 you can use that other sony DVD player as a door stop. Don't worry about "Burning out" the PS3. I use my PS3 heavily and it's going strong.
Get a HDMI and optical cable from monoprice.com. The crisp image you will see on your new HDTV will make you never go back to RCA or component. You might also notice a higher fidelity in your audio too. HDMI for the PS3 video into the TV, optical for the sound PS3 into your receiver.

I don't know what you have for standard TV viewing, but if you have a HD cable box you could grab another HDMI cable for that too. if you want cableTV to play through the receiver than you might need to go digital coax for audio from the cable box to receiver, as the receiver only has 1 optical input.

hope this helps a bit
I'm going to take that advice and use the PS3 . So far i have my DVR-HD linked to my receiver using a Digital Optical , RCA jacks going from my receiver to my LCD-TV , HDMI for the PS3 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153;+-+4'+HDMI-In-Wall+Cable+-+Dark+Gray/8880918.p?id=1210982227965&skuId=8880918 (broken link) , and a HDMI that Verizon supplied for the link between my top box and LCD-TV

Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
Time is kinda a issue being that on monday i'm starting my kitchen and would like to get this out of the way , i do have a few RCA jacks that seem to work fine . I'm planning on buying a HDMI cable for my PS3 soon
Then at least don't buy the Monster brand, get Acoustic Research if they're still selling that. It'll be perfectly fine. Hell, check if MicroCenter has some cheaper cables... it won't make a big difference.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:00 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
ok since this is the thread for home theater challenged long islanders... i'll ask this here...

if i run my blu ray dvd to the tv via hdmi then the tv to the home theater system via optical cable, will i be getting the optimum picture and sound???

i'm also accepting donations so i can buy the complete idiots guide to living in the modern age

Old 07-17-2010, 06:37 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
if i run my blu ray dvd to the tv via hdmi then the tv to the home theater system via optical cable, will i be getting the optimum picture and sound???
No. You want to run your audio from the blu-ray/DVD player to the receiver.

This is because the surround sound signal will be carried from the source to the tv, but your tv can only process 2ch of sound, stereo. You tv only has 2 speakers. Therefore the audio transfered from the tv to the receiver will only be 2ch.

Also, optical cable has limitations on bandwidth, which limits the ability to listen to audio in Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA, and any 7.1. Only HDMI supports those encodings.

You also have to bitstream your audio, as LPCM requires too much data. If you LPCM your 5.1 audio over optical, you will get 2ch stereo. This isn't a big deal for the general population who spent under $1000 on speakers alone.

If you're looking for "optimum" fidelity in video and audio, first you must have a receiver that can handle uncompressed video and audio all over HDMI.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:01 PM

284 posts, read 985,805 times
Thank you all for your helpful info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics