Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,538,280 times

Advertisements

just bought myself the ipod shuffle. just wanted something simple. We had a sansa before for my son and I hated having to subscribe to a music service and pay each month and redownload. I am not sure if they still do anything remotely like that??? But that was a huge drawback. So far I am enjoying the shuffle.
My son wants the nano for his bday this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,365,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
We had a sansa before for my son and I hated having to subscribe to a music service and pay each month and redownload. I am not sure if they still do anything remotely like that???
I know mine came with a disc for the optional Rhapsody service, but I never touched it. I just upload my MP3 files from my computer and that's it. The fact that the one I got has a display is great to switch between different artists, albums, etc...

Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
marco promotional products has a good range of mp3 players...

Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,871,114 times
Here is a vote for the sony and against the ipod:
Ipod - wife has one, overpriced compared to the competitors, and you have their horrendous software. Yeah you can get around it, but it's not user friendly, at least in my opinion. Also packaged with useless options that do nothing but increases the price.

Sony - Got a 16 gigger. Very happy with it. Simple drag and drop interface to add music, or you can use there software. Doesn't have many fancy useless features - a small screen to add and watch movies (useless - but any screen below laptop size is useless for movies), has an external speaker - plays tiny sound and only good for letting someone hear when they say "hey what you listening to". But it does good on the basics - sound, according to the CNET reviews I have seen (but see my note below), size, memory, price, and battery power (16 hours plus), has a pretty good built in equalizor.

A note on sound - MP3 music is compressed anyways. Don't buy an MP3 for good quality sound. You will never get hifi quality, even with the largest bit rate, even with the best headphones (they aren't designed to drive high quality headphones). You buy it for convenience.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,641,416 times
the three members of my family all have the Zen by Creative. Check out the creativelabs website for the info. my two kids are 21 and 15 and the oldest did the research, so that is why they all have them instead of ipods.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,336,013 times
^^I used to have a Creative Zen Nano. awesome little player, but Creative customer service sucks and it costs $$ to send in the player for repair if needed. easier and cheaper to just replace the unit out of your own pocket instead of dealing w/ them

Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,581,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Funkykatt,

If you are looking for something soley for your workouts and cheap, you may want to consider a Sansa player. There can be had for about 60 bucks, possibly cheaper on e-bay. I have an I-pod touch, but will probably get a sansa for my gym, running, etc.
They are even cheaper on Amazon, but I have had bad experience with them. My husband had 3 Samsa clip that died within 6 months. Amazon kept replacing them, but they kept dying. Mine is still alive but some days it does not work or stops working suddenly.

I'm very careful with my things and my gadgets usually last years so not my fault.

And according to Amazon's and CNET's reviews Samsas were the best alternative MP3 players, so I guess I'll get a couple of Ipods later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
We had a sansa before for my son and I hated having to subscribe to a music service and pay each month and redownload. I am not sure if they still do anything remotely like that??? But that was a huge drawback.
That's not necessary anymore. I get individual mp3's from Amazon.

Samsa does offer a free trial for some subscription service and DH took it. We had weird charges that they refused to reimburse so we canceled it at day 2.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,043 times
There is a Korean brand called IAudio, it's not perfect but have a high sound quality, you can think about it.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,573,711 times
Ive hear good things about Sansa online and from people I know, my husband has one and loves it he wont shut up about it.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,043,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I got a Sansa Clip+ 2GB from Amazon around $30. It has a display too, which is great, and a microSD slot for expansion.
+1 for the Sansa Clip+. We have a 4gb one and I just ordered an 8gb one from Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics