Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:57 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

Cable/satellite industry warned that price increases are not sustainable.........

Moffett: Where Will Money Come From For Pay TV Price Increases? - 2010-09-10 17:48:04 | Multichannel News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
We have been discussing dropping all but basic cable, or maybe the whole package. I look at how much I pay per year to watch television and wonder just what the Hell I'm thinking...

I have found that since I'm retired I don't turn on the TV all day except for Jeopardy, which we get at 3:30. After the evening news I might watch some if Mrs. Tek is watching. I do watch poker. We watch some of the CSI type shows.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:25 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Same thoughts here. The pricing is at the very top end of what we are willing to pay. Any increase and bumping the sat connection up a notch and downloading at night will be a better deal.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:23 PM

IMO the joining of TV & the net will pinch pay TV very hard but that's awhile away yet. Damn!!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
IMO the joining of TV & the net will pinch pay TV very hard but that's awhile away yet. Damn!!

I think we're on the verge actually. With settop boxes such as bluray players having the ability to stream netflix, hulu, etc directly to TVs, it's just a matter of time before the masses make the switch.

My new Bluray player can stream DLNA video along with Netflix and Hulu. Pay the premium for Netflix and Hulu, and you can watch all your shows, at a fraction of cable.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times
we've long been done with cable and satellite.

we use an antenna, netflix, hulu, and a program called secondrun.tv.

I always get the itch around football season (which is now!) to reconnect the satellite but i've successfully fought off the urge the past two years.

our ISP supports espn3.com, so that gives me a little more football content. And there's quite a few games on saturday between abc and cbs. antenna is hooked to a dvr so i can record those and watch whenever.

if you tried netflix streaming before and were unhappy with the selection, give it another shot. we've had it around four years and they've certainly come a long way. and this month they added a huge collection to the instant streaming feature that they're paying studios another $1 billion for. Its worth the $9/mo.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
What's television?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Pay the premium for Netflix and Hulu, and you can watch all your shows, at a fraction of cable.
What about my football games?

I don't watch that many... I just wanted to point out that sports is the weak spot of the current model. There is no place to watch the NFL or most college sports online.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

I don't watch that many... I just wanted to point out that sports is the weak spot of the current model. There is no place to watch the NFL or most college sports online.
Yes, for the sports fan that will be a problem to be sure. The sports industry will have to figure out a new broadcast model if they want to keep the fans happy and the big money rolling in IMO.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, for the sports fan that will be a problem to be sure. The sports industry will have to figure out a new broadcast model if they want to keep the fans happy and the big money rolling in IMO.

I actually have limited basic cable because it's cheaper to get the limited basic + internet bundle than it is to get internet alone.

So I get to watch whatever comes on network channels. If you're a sports nut, then yea... you're limited to cable or hitting the bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics