Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,350 times

Advertisements

I live in the boonies and my only option for internet service is Wildblue satellite service. It sucks, but it sure has been better than nothing.
My biggest gripe has been that streaming video is unwatchable. If it is something I can download, or pause it till it finishes loading, it is ok.

We watch a lot of dvd's from Netflix, and now that they have raised their prices, their streaming video service is starting to look tempting.

Being a mac fan, I would like to get Apple TV to download the data.

Has anybody got streaming Netflix through satellite internet?

Any Apple TV fans want to tell me how they like it?

Google has not been my friend for this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
wildblue's FAP will be prohibitive for watching streaming video on a daily basis.

The picture quality will also be poor, and will most likely have many buffering pauses.

Viasat is supposedly launching their new viasat-1 satellite in 2011 that was purpose-built for high bandwidth applications such as streaming. the FAP limits are supposed to be raised substantially when the sat goes live, along w/ download speeds.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,350 times
Thanks. I was afraid of that.
Oh well. DVD's won't be obsolete for a few more years.

Now I don't have a good reason to get Apple TV.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Thanks. I was afraid of that.
Oh well. DVD's won't be obsolete for a few more years.

Now I don't have a good reason to get Apple TV.
Don't feel to bad, mate. I ,too, am an Apple fan who's watched development of the Apple TV device for a long time now and still don't believe that it is the best device for streaming TV at all. Apple Tv will be a toy until Jobs gets serious about this market and Apple had better hurry or they will miss the boat.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
The key to Netflix is speed, and for HD you need something close to 5MBs down last I checked. I think satellite can push 1.5 max, so you'll never get HD quality through streaming.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The key to Netflix is speed, and for HD you need something close to 5MBs down last I checked. I think satellite can push 1.5 max, so you'll never get HD quality through streaming.
i believe hughesnet offers 2.2Mbps, but still not close to the speeds you need for "HD quality".

1.5Mbps was the fastest we could get through DSL at our old house, and we got a good picture from netflix.

I've worked w/ wildblue extensively, and their 1.5Mbps is not comparable to DSL or cable; its not even close. You would most likely get the 500Kbps stream from netflix on a 1.5Mbps wildblue connection, and it will buffer repeatedly.

But hang on until that new satellite launches; if it lives up to what viasat (owner of wildblue) has promised, you should be able to do streaming just fine.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I just got the Apple TV as an early xmas present. I have been a apple fan for years but did not jump on the apple tv until now due to the price. Honestly, I thought it was going to be more than what it really is.

It was easy to set up but after looking at the movie rentals I was pretty shocked at the very poor selection. I am not a huge movie buff so you would think this would give me the opportunity to catch up on all the movies I missed in the past year or two. There were only a couple of movies listed that I had heard of. Right away I felt disappointed. I am really hoping that more movies are added because right now, it looks pretty lame. I could join netflix but I really didnt want to sign up for any monthly plans. I just wanted the opportunity to rent when I felt like it. If the selection stays this poor then I wont be renting much then. So far it looks like I got a cute little box to play my music over the tv.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Don't feel to bad, mate. I ,too, am an Apple fan who's watched development of the Apple TV device for a long time now and still don't believe that it is the best device for streaming TV at all. Apple Tv will be a toy until Jobs gets serious about this market and Apple had better hurry or they will miss the boat.
All Apple has to do is to install a hard drive in it to allow for downloading and watching the movie at a later date. This way one can download/save the movie late at night when in bed, since video streaming requires a very fast modem speed.

That's a reason why I don't have an Apple TV, nor the Netflix box for streaming movies. Both require a fast modem, and these services can be quite expensive. I coworker of mine has ISP service with a fast modem, and pays around $140.00 per month for it

Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All Apple has to do is to install a hard drive in it to allow for downloading and watching the movie at a later date. This way one can download/save the movie late at night when in bed, since video streaming requires a very fast modem speed.
You're a little behind the times, mate. The early Apple TV's DID have a hard drive in them. In fact, there are a few of the older Apple TV's still yet to be sold but they are very different than the new AppleTV.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I live in the boonies and my only option for internet service is Wildblue satellite service. It sucks, but it sure has been better than nothing.
My biggest gripe has been that streaming video is unwatchable. If it is something I can download, or pause it till it finishes loading, it is ok.

We watch a lot of dvd's from Netflix, and now that they have raised their prices, their streaming video service is starting to look tempting.

Being a mac fan, I would like to get Apple TV to download the data.

Has anybody got streaming Netflix through satellite internet?

Any Apple TV fans want to tell me how they like it?

Google has not been my friend for this topic.
I think your culprit will continue being your particular service provider.
If you google 'rural internet providers' you'll pull up info on Hughes Net and Skyway. I don't know if they would be affordable alternatives for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics