U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM

15,893 posts, read 15,640,763 times

Advertisements

I admit up front that I'm ignorant about this topic.

Can I view an HDTV on my cable that is not HD? I know the picture won't be as good as HD reception. I just want to know if I can still see a good pic without the HD hookup.

Thank you for any info you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,303,028 times
Not sure I understand the question.

Let's say channel 55 is ESPN and 355 is ESPN-HD. You don't have an HD package that includes ch 355 from your cable company and you want to know what happens if you select ch 355?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:55 AM

10,765 posts, read 18,155,483 times
Yes, you can watch non HD programming on an HD TV, it will just be, as you said, a lower quality image. It will also have black bars on either side of the image unless you stretch the image using the TV controls.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not sure I understand the question.

Let's say channel 55 is ESPN and 355 is ESPN-HD. You don't have an HD package that includes ch 355 from your cable company and you want to know what happens if you select ch 355?
This makes me wonder if I have a HD from my cable company. LOL. There are listings for HD shows. So, I can't tell because my TV is not an HD.

I'm getting ready to buy an HD TV. So, that problem will be solved if I do already have HD from Time Warner.

Thank you very much.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
This makes me wonder if I have a HD from my cable company. LOL. There are listings for HD shows. So, I can't tell because my TV is not an HD.

I'm getting ready to buy an HD TV. So, that problem will be solved if I do already have HD from Time Warner.

Thank you very much.
Unless your paying for HD service and have an HD cable box then you likely don't have HD service. I have a standard, non HD box on the bedroom TV and it lists the HD channels even though I can't tune to them, YMMV.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yes, you can watch non HD programming on an HD TV, it will just be, as you said, a lower quality image. It will also have black bars on either side of the image unless you stretch the image using the TV controls.
Thank you NHDave. This is good to know. I'll check with Time-Warner to see if I have HD.

This is amazingly embarrassing. I should know this stuff.

Thank you for being kind in your answer.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you NHDave. This is good to know. I'll check with Time-Warner to see if I have HD.

This is amazingly embarrassing. I should know this stuff.

Thank you for being kind in your answer.
Not everyone keeps up on this stuff, My mother/father in law just went out and bought a huge Sony HD TV, got HD service from Comcast, and still tune to the non HD channels and stretch the image to fill the screen. It looks absolutely horrible, and I've tried time and again to explain the HD channels, but it's apparently too much for them to be bothered with.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM

12,004 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Time Warner Cable and Cox and WOW cable offer HD for "free" in most markets.
That is why I switched to them a few years ago.

But now the satellite companies are finally feeling the competition and are also starting to offer free HD.

Really annoys me too, the Dish Network commercial. The owner of the company talking and he says "When I was growing up, TV was free. That's why Dish Network offers Free-HD".
Um... BS. Because for years you charged an extra $10/month for HD. And a few extra dollars for the HD Sat box.
It's free now because you are losing customers to the cable companies that do offer it for free.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,818,812 times
Quote:

Thank you very much.
The channel guides will usually show all the channels, even for the ones you don't have. The easiest way to check is to select one of the listed HD channels (something like ABC, NBC, etc.) and see if it tunes to the channel. If it tunes to the channel, then you are receiving HD at your house and the new TV would show those channels in HD. If it doesn't tune, then you will most likely get a message that you do not subscribe to that service. It's just an easy way to check without having to call the cable company.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,818,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not everyone keeps up on this stuff, My mother/father in law just went out and bought a huge Sony HD TV, got HD service from Comcast, and still tune to the non HD channels and stretch the image to fill the screen. It looks absolutely horrible, and I've tried time and again to explain the HD channels, but it's apparently too much for them to be bothered with.
lol...I've had that same conversation with so many people. My wife used to do that all the time, but now the box will let you know whether or not your channel is available in HD, so she always chooses it. I remember when my FIL came over and wanted to watch a college football game. He turned on ESPN and made some comment about how the picture wasn't that good on the fancy TV. Switched it to the HD station for him and he was like WOW, nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics