Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,502 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am considering purchasing a used Mitsubishi 73735 DLP HDTV and am a little concerned but I love DLP picture and would absolutely love to go from 50" to 73". The seller says it is 4 years old but based on what I am seeing, they stopped making it in 08 or 09 so it is most likely older than 4 years. Is there a way to tell what year it was manufactured by the serial number? I have looked online but not found anything. Also, I have a 50" DLP Samsung that that I purchased in 06 and it got the white spots in 2013. They sent someone to get it and replaced the chip and returned it to me within a week and it didn't cost me a dime. From what I am seeing with Mitsubishi, they are not as accommodating. So if I see that it currently isn't having a white dot problem, what do you think a reasonable price for it would be and would you risk it? I appreciate any feedback you could could give - thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 8,803 times
The bulb off ebay will cost you under $50
The chip, if you call when it happens, will cost you $200 plus tax

Consider those sunk costs, for a 5 year old dlp that has a known chip issue, and you probably will need to replace the chip, start your bidding at $300 and meet him in the middle somewhere.

Just know you could be adding $275-$300 in costs at any time once you pay your price.

It could be more if Mitsubishi stops honoring any chip deal, then you could still replace it on your own for around $200 but you gave to be prepared to dig into a self install.

The serial and date are on the back panel, maybe he can take a pic for you?

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6565 View Post
The bulb off ebay will cost you under $50
The chip, if you call when it happens, will cost you $200 plus tax

Consider those sunk costs, for a 5 year old dlp that has a known chip issue, and you probably will need to replace the chip, start your bidding at $300 and meet him in the middle somewhere.

Just know you could be adding $275-$300 in costs at any time once you pay your price.

It could be more if Mitsubishi stops honoring any chip deal, then you could still replace it on your own for around $200 but you gave to be prepared to dig into a self install.

The serial and date are on the back panel, maybe he can take a pic for you?

Good luck!

Thank you. The label pic did have the model and serial numbers but did not have the date but it appeared to be a partial label. I appreciate the info, it gives me an idea of what I should pay for it if I decide to purchase it tomorrow when I look at it. They are asking $400.
Thanks again!

Old 02-18-2015, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
The white dots comes from a defective DLP chip in your mitsubishi tv. My tv is five years old and the warranty has run out but I call consumer relations at Mitsubishi and they agree to purchase the part and I would just have to pay for the labor. The part was around 250.00 and the labor 200.00. They will give you a nearby mit repair shop and ship the part to them.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Ty1

1 posts, read 1,484 times
They no longer provide anything on these just got off the phone w. Mitsu. was super polite with them, asked for supervisor and all, they said since mine was shipped in 07 (to Costco) it is way out of warranty and they will not offer a part or labor to fix it. I only use it for 3 mo's/year, I guess I am SOL and will no longer buy their product, their car division leadership is serving time in Japan for deliberately screwing w. the longevity of their vehicles.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,400 times
Three and a half years ago (October, 2011), the "light engine" in our Mitsubishi WD-C657 failed. We had white dots all over our TV screen. Our TV was out of warranty, but we bought it at Costco, and Costco connected us with Mitsubishi, and fortunately, after Mitsubishi first offered us a new TV to us at basically the price I found it for on the Internet (no real savings), Mitsubishi finally provided a new "light engine" FREE OF CHARGE. I only had to pay for the service call which was $200.

So our story ended happily thanks to Costco covering our backs!

Unfortunately, due to a faulty replacement lamp we just put in our TV, our "light engine" needs to be replaced, again. The faulty lamp generated an excessive amount of heat (to the point of melting some nearby plastic parts). The heat adversely affected our "light engine."

Old 07-18-2015, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
(Mitsubishi 73" rear projection TV Model #: WD-73C9) I noticed one single white dot appear on my screen about eighteen hours ago and now noticed another one appear. I replaced the lamp maybe three or four months ago. I seen someone mention replacing boards and someone else mention "power conditioners"... The problem recently occurred so, what are my options so I can get this problem resolved? If it is a chip/board that has to be replaced, what do I look for to order?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,732 times
Default Any problems since repaired?

Hi All and thank you for your help on this post.
Unfortunately, we purchased our tv just a couple of months before you all started having trouble and posting about your issues. We've had it for 4yrs now and just got our first white spot last week. I have taken your advice and called Mitsi support and they will repair but told me I must pay for the $200 labor. My tv isn't included in the now settled lawsuit that most of yours is because it doesn't have the lamp issue.
My question to all of you with the whitespot issue, regardless of lamp issues, is since you've had the tv repaired, specifically a chip replaced, have you had any problems with the tv?
I will pay the labor cost if the tv will continue to run and be beautiful for another 4-6yrs. But, if it will have a different/worse/continued issue in 1-2yrs, I think I will move away from this tv.
Thank you for your responses, if any.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 8,803 times
I've had mine done for about 7 mos and it looks great still...

Old 10-07-2015, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,732 times
Thank you, Mike, for your reply. I guess we'll pay the $200 and get the TV fixed for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics