Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
H areow so?
1.People purchase based on heavy Ipod marketing not objectivey. They are to be blamed for Ipod success.

2. There are two types of music players: Ipods and everthing else. The difference between Fords and Chevys is in the noise compare the differences between Ipods and everything else. Fords and Chevys are pretty much the same.

3. Ipods only play MP3 and you have to use itunes. Everything else plays pretty much everything and you can use any program you want. Most music players are plug and play to any pc and you can easily move music around-no resync issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 06:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
1.People purchase based on heavy Ipod marketing not objectivey. They are to be blamed for Ipod success.

2. There are two types of music players: Ipods and everthing else. The difference between Fords and Chevys is in the noise compare the differences between Ipods and everything else. Fords and Chevys are pretty much the same.

3. Ipods only play MP3 and you have to use itunes. Everything else plays pretty much everything and you can use any program you want. Most music players are plug and play to any pc and you can easily move music around-no resync issues.
1. If course it's so. That's why I said that no gadget producer, nor the buyer, can be blamed for the success or failure of one or the other. In the case of the producer, how can you blame the producer if he is or isn't selling you his product? He is not putting a gun on your head and making you buy his product. Is he?

2. There are several music players, and the iPod is one of them. Those that don't sell, regardless of how good or bad any of us may think it is, usually pulls out of the market if it can't compete with the rest. There are other devices that do a lot of things. These include some iPods, and some of the others. If any of these is more successful than another on the market, how can anybody blame its producer, or even the consumer? There are all kings of brands: Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, and so forth, all which build trucks, cars, etc., we still favor one to another, and argue about it all day and night.

3. All iPods play music, and so the others. What one hears is not the music format, but the music itself in the form of a sound. Some iPods, and so some of the other devices, also playback video and photos, some can be used to type documents, to text, to print, to surf the net, to check e-mail, and so forth.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-31-2010 at 07:25 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 01:19 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I know iPod is preferred by the mass majority. However, I have had my Zune for 3.5 years with zero issues. Before it I had an iPod, but found the Zune to be more user friendly and much more durable. I also like on the Zune how you can put two players next to each other and share music (cordless) and the iPod does not offer that. So I guess I am wondering if the only reason iPod is so popular is because of Apple's mega advertising? Or perhaps it's cult-like following? Microsoft never really promotes the Zune but I think if they did and if people would give it a chance it could take over the market. Any thoughts?
Although the Zune is a pretty decent music player, Apple had a 5-year headstart when it came to marketing and refinement. For instance, many automakers offer "iPod-integration" (docks, cables, etc.) as either an option or standard equipment. For the Zune, there are only aftermarket options if you want to use it in a vehicle. For use in the home, companies like Sony, Bose, Altec Lansing (http://www.alteclansing.com/ae/us/ipod-iphone-speakers/icat/ipodiphonespeakers/ - broken link), Panasonic, iHome, and several others offer numerous products and accessories for the iPod. For the Zune, there are fewer accessories and fewer companies offering them.

In addition, Apple's ever-growing, world-wide network of Apple Stores, has helped to increase the "mindshare" of the iPod and other Apple products. Microsoft's retail stores, on the other hand, look like a weak, "me-too" effort. The Zunes are in the Microsoft Store, lost among the offerings from HP, Acer, Dell, Lenovo, and Sony.

From the iPod shuffle to the iPhone and iPad, Apple has made the most of its marketing advantage, while Microsoft has been "asleep at the wheel" with the Zune, Windows Phone 7, and "tablet" computer. Microsoft's main problem is that it's a software company that doesn't know how to market consumer electronics, while Apple mainly is a "marketing company" that happens to sell computers, software, and consumer electronics. Apparently, John Sculley's decade at Apple wasn't entirely for naught.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:21 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
The value in the iPod isn't solely in the device itself. If that were the case it would never have become as successful as it has been. The value perceived by consumers is in the entire ecosystem surrounding the device: iTunes, iTunes store, apps, automobile integration as mentioned in the post above, all of the third-party consumer electronic devices that support it such as docks, boom boxes, clock radios, etc. Whatever decision you make should be based on the value you place on the entire ecosystem surrounding the device, not just on the device itself. For instance, the convenience and selection of music available for purchase through the iTunes store may trump all other factors for many people.

I'll also note that those who argue most passionately for one platform vs another are usually those least informed and least qualified to make such an argument

Quote:
3. Ipods only play MP3
Wrong. See above.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,556 times
ive had both and prefer the zune. why, because the zune music software is a million times better than itunes, easier to organize etc.
the UI on my 120gb zune was also better than the ipod alternative at the time. and it was cheaper.
i have an ipod touch that i will sell because it is 8gb and useless to me at that size. i have not tried the zune HD but hear its good.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
I've been using the same Zune30 (original battery and all) every work day since I got it (for free) in March 2007. The only hiccup on it was a leap year issue. Oh boy, a single day without use of my Zune. Not that big a deal.

Spoiler
Ah, who am I kidding. My face was stuck like: for fear it was actually broke-broke.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
ITunes might actually be the worst software currently in mass market use.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
ITunes might actually be the worst software currently in mass market use.
Lotus Notes is worse. We're stuck with it at work.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
Quote:
Every player plays MP3s. It's not at all true that "Everything else plays pretty much everything".

I have a Sansa and an iPod. The Sansa plays WMAs and MP3s and can't play AACs. The iPod plays AACs and MP3s and can't play WMAs. The only way to ensure compatibility with every player is to use MP3.

As for programs, I've used MediaMonkey and Winamp to sync my iPod. At other times I've used my iPod to transfer music from computer to computer with no resync issues. You just have to disable automatic sync.

The Sansa I have can also be connected and used as if it were just a flash drive (gets a drive letter), but this is by no means universal in non-iPod players. Zunes and some Sonys do not support this natively either. Every player is different and has different limitations.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Every player plays MP3s. It's not at all true that "Everything else plays pretty much everything".

I have a Sansa and an iPod. The Sansa plays WMAs and MP3s and can't play AACs. The iPod plays AACs and MP3s and can't play WMAs. The only way to ensure compatibility with every player is to use MP3.

As for programs, I've used MediaMonkey and Winamp to sync my iPod. At other times I've used my iPod to transfer music from computer to computer with no resync issues. You just have to disable automatic sync.

The Sansa I have can also be connected and used as if it were just a flash drive (gets a drive letter), but this is by no means universal in non-iPod players. Zunes and some Sonys do not support this natively either. Every player is different and has different limitations.
I lot of people have certain erroneous ideas on their minds about the iPod, Zune, etc., and there is no way they will change their minds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics