Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM

71 posts, read 212,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Thanks, Vanilla Having the viewfinder is an issue for me, as using it helps to hold the camera more steady. Having this conversation reminds me to
get with it, and buy that camera whilst it's still available!

Also, Newegg has the camera you want, with free shipping: Newegg.com - Canon PowerShot A3100 IS Silver 12.1 MP 2.7" 230K LCD 4X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

This seems to be essentially the same deal.....do you think? I've ordered from Newegg and they are a good company, in my opinion.
Right on - I am actually going to consider getting that model through Best Buy. Now of course, I'd trust Newegg over Best Buy anyways, BUT- I have a hefty gift certificate that will cover *the entire camera* before tax, which is why I'd like to just use that damn thing and get the camera through there.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Silver/9766837.p?id=1218170030110&skuId=9766837&st=Canon% 20PowerShot%20A3100&cp=1&lp=1 (broken link)

(and Best Buy currently has free shipping)

Anyways, do get that camera as soon as you find a trusty source that carries it, because it won't be available for long judging that many manufcaters are already putting out new models for the new year and it's just going to get harder and harder to find it new by the day, you don't want to have the money to get it and find it's just been discontinued

Cheers!

Last edited by VanillaCoffee; 01-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: I'm a grammar freak :X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Vanilla, here's my next camera: Canon PowerShot A1100 IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera (Blue) It's not new, came out in 2009, but it's had really good reviews.

YeeHaw! Just found it here: Digital Electronics 4 Less for less, but I'm not familiar with that company. Anyone?
I just ordered one. It said they were still in stock. Interesting that the spec sheet make no mention of type of batteries. Amazon reviewers say it uses 2 AA.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
While I shoot Canon DSLR [50D], I do recommend that Nikon point and shoots be considered, as their models have quite good reputation. Otherwise, I've also used Fuji's such as this one with excellent results: Fujifilm FinePix S1800 12.2 MP Digital Camera (18x Wide Angle Optical Dual Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD)... when used with understanding / knowledge of what this camera type can do, they can provide very good images. And its ~$150.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
While I shoot Canon DSLR [50D], I do recommend that Nikon point and shoots be considered, as their models have quite good reputation. Otherwise, I've also used Fuji's such as this one with excellent results: Fujifilm FinePix S1800 12.2 MP Digital Camera (18x Wide Angle Optical Dual Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD)... when used with understanding / knowledge of what this camera type can do, they can provide very good images. And its ~$150.
Thanks for this, 'Caver. This is a nice looking camera, and even has the old-fashioned viewfinder, I'm looking for. Newegg has it on sale right now. It's larger than the Canon point & shoot I've been considering, but not much more expensive. Hmmmm, I'm going to think about this one.

Vanilla, you gonna look at this one? It's right here: Newegg.com - FUJIFILM FINEPIX S1800 Black 12.0 MP 3.0" 230K LCD 18X Optical Zoom 28mm Wide Angle Digital Camera

Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
If the *new* camera is rather thin (comparatively).
it will NOT have a viewfinder.
A viewfinder, needs a minimum thickness.
What that exactly is, I do not know....

On the other hand.
With all the capabilities these new ones have, I really like them now, even those without a viewfinder, because of what they can do.

I do *still* photography AND I take videos of the grandkids.
So ...
I now have a Canon (SD1400 IS) that takes 14 megapixels stills, AND can take videos that are better than my *old* video camera (720 quality).
I *invested* in a 14 Gig memory card, and now have either
4000 pictures, or over 70 minutes of video.
Just one drawback, and that is that during video,
the *zoom* feature can not be used.
It does *zoom* in the preview window, but does NOT focus !!!
So, I shoot, I stop, I zoom, I shoot, I stop, I *unzoom* and so on ...

So, if price is still a big factor, I would say that going up in price a bit, will give you a good camera AND a video camera at the same time.
Something to think about, no ???

BTW, for those who are just *point and shoot* like me,
there are three modes on this camera that are:
1 - AUTO (did not have one bad one pic yet !!!)
2 - Indoor (different light source !!)
3 - MOVIE mode

The number 2 mode can be programmed of all kinds of *funny and fancy* stuff, but who really needs it, when you just want to *point and shoot* ??

Just my opinion.
I love the embedded date feature in these new cameras.
I download the whole series and then make a movie out of it.
All in proper sequence. Each movie about 20 minutes, for each day ...

Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If the *new* camera is rather thin (comparatively).
it will NOT have a viewfinder.
A viewfinder, needs a minimum thickness.
What that exactly is, I do not know....

On the other hand.
With all the capabilities these new ones have, I really like them now, even those without a viewfinder, because of what they can do.

I do *still* photography AND I take videos of the grandkids.
So ...
I now have a Canon (SD1400 IS) that takes 14 megapixels stills, AND can take videos that are better than my *old* video camera (720 quality).
I *invested* in a 14 Gig memory card, and now have either
4000 pictures, or over 70 minutes of video.
Just one drawback, and that is that during video,
the *zoom* feature can not be used.
It does *zoom* in the preview window, but does NOT focus !!!
So, I shoot, I stop, I zoom, I shoot, I stop, I *unzoom* and so on ...

So, if price is still a big factor, I would say that going up in price a bit, will give you a good camera AND a video camera at the same time.
Something to think about, no ???

BTW, for those who are just *point and shoot* like me,
there are three modes on this camera that are:
1 - AUTO (did not have one bad one pic yet !!!)
2 - Indoor (different light source !!)
3 - MOVIE mode

The number 2 mode can be programmed of all kinds of *funny and fancy* stuff, but who really needs it, when you just want to *point and shoot* ??

Just my opinion.
I love the embedded date feature in these new cameras.
I download the whole series and then make a movie out of it.
All in proper sequence. Each movie about 20 minutes, for each day ...
The SD1400 IS has a pixel density of 50mp/cm^2... which translates to horrible noise, especially in low light scenarios. I have no personal experience but the reviews I read confirmed this as well. It would be a really sweet camera if it had a larger sensor or even a CMOS.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The SD1400 IS has a pixel density of 50mp/cm^2... which translates to horrible noise, especially in low light scenarios. I have no personal experience but the reviews I read confirmed this as well. It would be a really sweet camera if it had a larger sensor or even a CMOS.
I have not noticed anything I personally did not like, but ...
What kind of pixel density would one have to look for in order to NOT have *horrible noise*.
BTW, what does horrible noise really looks like ?
How do I recognise horrible noise ?

At the resolution I take the stills, the pics are so bloody big (when printed in full scale), I really do not see any bad things when I crop (I usually do).

TIA

Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
Quote:
Thanks for this, 'Caver. This is a nice looking camera, and even has the old-fashioned viewfinder, I'm looking for. Newegg has it on sale right now. It's larger than the Canon point & shoot I've been considering, but not much more expensive. Hmmmm, I'm going to think about this one.

Vanilla, you gonna look at this one? It's right here: Newegg.com - FUJIFILM FINEPIX S1800 Black 12.0 MP 3.0" 230K LCD 18X Optical Zoom 28mm Wide Angle Digital Camera
Quite welcome And will clarify and expand a bit of my previous post... I currently own two similar Fuji's [~1.5 and 3 year older models] and had one ~5 years older that finally bit the dust [errrr,,, actually too much mud, as I used it while caving a few times too ] - they take very good images IMHO. Will post a few more when I've time / chance... but suffice for now if desire to gander at those in my album on profile page - these were all taken with one of these Fuji's over the years.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I have not noticed anything I personally did not like, but ...
What kind of pixel density would one have to look for in order to NOT have *horrible noise*.
BTW, what does horrible noise really looks like ?
How do I recognise horrible noise ?

At the resolution I take the stills, the pics are so bloody big (when printed in full scale), I really do not see any bad things when I crop (I usually do).

TIA
For CCDs, less than 30MP/cm^2 is reasonably good for indoor photography. For outdoor photography (bright sunlight), even 40-50MP/cm^c2 is reasonably good.

The SD1000 has a pixel density of 29MP/CM^2 and takes fairly good images with indoor lighting given how compact the camera is. I believe it's slightly smaller than the SD1400.

As for the newer backlit CMOS compact cameras, it's too early to tell what kind of pixel density is ideal, but it is surely higher than CCDs. The SD4000 has a pixel density of 35MP/CM^2 and is considered the "must-have" camera if you're into a lot of night-life.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:04 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I like my Nikon Coolpix, I've had it for at least 2 yrs. now (maybe longer?) - easy to use, etc. I know they come w/more MP now, also fun colors - can be found for a little over $100 (maybe $125 range).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics