Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,678 times

Advertisements

So after what it feels like a non-stop gang rape month after month with Comcast, I think I had enough. I don't have FiOS in this area yet, and I don't care really. I already have Hulu Plus, and PlayOn (Free, but will upgrade eventually) that I stream to my Xbox and PS3.

So, it seems like for some channel surfing --although I do understand it'll be limited -- I should get an HDTV OTA Antenna, yes? My TV is fairly new (Sharp Aquos LCD 46), but I'm not exactly sure if I would need something else besides an OTA antenna? Any suggestions on any type?

Besides that, has anyone else totally ditched cable for streaming? Besides Hulu Plus, Netflix, and/or PlayOn -- is there anything else do you use?

Now excuse me, I have to wipe up more blood from my ass because I just paid my Comcast bill.

Thanks

Last edited by h0tmess; 05-23-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
You won't get live sports with anything on that list. Does that matter?

With an OTA antenna, you'll get some sports.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM

I do not care for sports

Right now here's what we have
HD cable in living room and bedroom. One has a DVR. We don't have premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc).
What do we normally watch: Sunday night animated shows on FOX (Smpsons, Bob's Burgers, etc). South Park on Wednesdays, and other Comedy Central stuff throughout the week.
Roseanne & Golden Girls reruns, lol
And when we're really bored and nothing is on: Usually Discovery Health & Fit.. lol so I'm sure I can find plugins for most of these things to stream with PlayOn.

Since I currently have an HDTV, all I would need is to just find an HD antenna? Is there anything I need to look for? Any specific details when looking into them? I live in a high rise apartment (10 floors, and I'm on the 10th). I am 5 miles from Philadelphia, so I know there will be channels in there air

Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
Quote:
PlayOn (Free, but will upgrade eventually)
Once you've upgraded PlayOn you can download their scripts. You'll want a Premium account in the scripts, I think it was ten bucks lifetime, that'll keep you advised of updates to the scripts and allow access to links in the scripts forum. Those scripts will be your access to other streams. I now watch most any current TV program sometime later in the week. I actually prefer saving them for a few weeks to watch at one time, like a long movie. Blue Bloods and Shameless are much better that way. Same with Firefly.

I do use a digital antenna for local weather and news, about $25. It feeds directly to the TV with coax, no set top box or converter or anything. Just the antenna device and the TV. You'll have to get used to the digital TV channels, 25.1, 40.2... check your local listing. I use TitanTV dot com for a TV guide, free.

I've just watched the Mav/OKC game live on PlayOn from other streaming feed. Also watching the score on ESPN.com, the stream varied about 5 to 20 seconds delayed. I watched a Chicago game live on a TNT stream last week.

It takes some practice but the scope of PlayOn just keeps getting bigger. I use a Roku and they just keep adding channels as well. They just added an XXX channel with a butt load (no pun intended) of videos. PlayOn has just added A&E and History to the line up.

Last edited by Willsson; 05-23-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
H0tmess, I have Comcast... and atleast in my area, it's cheaper to get Comcast Internet + Basic (like super basic) cable than it is to get Comcast Internet alone.

For example, Internet alone is $59.95/month for performance tier. It's $42.95 if you are willing to pay $15.95 for Basic Cable. That's $1 cheaper and you get Basic Cable. Pricing might vary in your area, but look into it.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Spoiler
I do not care for sports

Right now here's what we have
HD cable in living room and bedroom. One has a DVR. We don't have premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc).
What do we normally watch: Sunday night animated shows on FOX (Smpsons, Bob's Burgers, etc). South Park on Wednesdays, and other Comedy Central stuff throughout the week.
Roseanne & Golden Girls reruns, lol
And when we're really bored and nothing is on: Usually Discovery Health & Fit.. lol so I'm sure I can find plugins for most of these things to stream with PlayOn.

Since I currently have an HDTV, all I would need is to just find an HD antenna? Is there anything I need to look for? Any specific details when looking into them? I live in a high rise apartment (10 floors, and I'm on the 10th). I am 5 miles from Philadelphia, so I know there will be channels in there air
Choosing & Installing an Antenna for HDTV

TV Fool

Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Once you've upgraded PlayOn you can download their scripts. You'll want a Premium account in the scripts, I think it was ten bucks lifetime, that'll keep you advised of updates to the scripts and allow access to links in the scripts forum. Those scripts will be your access to other streams. I now watch most any current TV program sometime later in the week. I actually prefer saving them for a few weeks to watch at one time, like a long movie. Blue Bloods and Shameless are much better that way. Same with Firefly.

I do use a digital antenna for local weather and news, about $25. It feeds directly to the TV with coax, no set top box or converter or anything. Just the antenna device and the TV. You'll have to get used to the digital TV channels, 25.1, 40.2... check your local listing. I use TitanTV dot com for a TV guide, free.

I've just watched the Mav/OKC game live on PlayOn from other streaming feed. Also watching the score on ESPN.com, the stream varied about 5 to 20 seconds delayed. I watched a Chicago game live on a TNT stream last week.

It takes some practice but the scope of PlayOn just keeps getting bigger. I use a Roku and they just keep adding channels as well. They just added an XXX channel with a butt load (no pun intended) of videos. PlayOn has just added A&E and History to the line up.
Thanks for that!
I have a question in regards to Roku. I have a PS3, Wii, and Xbox360. I currently can stream PlayOn & Hulu Plus (and Netflix if I pick that up again) from those consoles. Is there any significant difference between doing this from my PS3/Xbox vs a Roku? Because we have cable in the living room and bedroom, I probably would pick up a Roku for the bedroom.

NJbest, I'm fine with looking for just internet from them. I really can't stand how overpriced they are and as years go, these promotions end and the prices are just sick. I'll be more than happy to drop them from my life. In fact, I'm even looking for ANOTHER ISP to replace them entirely, but sadly I can't find anything else. ;(

Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
NJbest, I'm fine with looking for just internet from them. I really can't stand how overpriced they are and as years go, these promotions end and the prices are just sick. I'll be more than happy to drop them from my life. In fact, I'm even looking for ANOTHER ISP to replace them entirely, but sadly I can't find anything else. ;(
That's not a promotion, that's the regular pricing. It's cheaper to get both basic cable and internet, than it is to get internet alone. If you wan't to just get internet and pay more, that's fine. Just thought I'd give you some info to save you some money.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
There is no such thing as a digital antenna, or an HDTV antenna. It is still plain old VHF or UHF. Don't get ripped off by false advertising.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that!
I have a question in regards to Roku. I have a PS3, Wii, and Xbox360. I currently can stream PlayOn & Hulu Plus (and Netflix if I pick that up again) from those consoles. Is there any significant difference between doing this from my PS3/Xbox vs a Roku? Because we have cable in the living room and bedroom, I probably would pick up a Roku for the bedroom.

Other than your device interface, I don't suspect there is any difference. Your device is just accessing the PlayOn server which you are hosting on your PC. From some screen shots I've seen, it looks as though some have a 'better looking' interface. The Roku interface makes me feel like I'm back in the DOS days of PC.

There's a demo at PlayOn... PlayOn Technical Support | PlayOn ...that shows the PS3 and Xbox. There is no demo for Roku, I suspect due to some unexplained contention between Roku and PlayOn. Roku tends not to admit PlayOn exists and PlayOn just won't talk about it. (Really, the topic is forbidden on PlayOn forums)

Last edited by Willsson; 05-24-2011 at 04:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics