Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:30 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Edit: Those CDs on Amazon are not Lightscribe. Those are for the printer that prints to them.

The printer I linked to wasn't a recommendation. There are a lot of them available and others will likely have better ink pricing and usage.

You do understand what Lightscribe does, right? It's not going to be a color, or even black and white picture, but variations on gold and black.

lightscribe - Google Search
No!! I didn't realize that it was going to be a variation of gold and black! Thanks so much for telling me that. This is a Ruby anniversary (40 years), so obviously red would be the optimum color. I had seen this and thought I could do any color. Obviously I completely misunderstood.

http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/more/ls_colordiscs.jpg

My ultimate goal was to get a picture of the couple at their high school prom (a year before they were married), scan it onto what I thought would be the normal silver CD, leave their picture image black, and then list the 15 songs from 1971 (in the color red) on the front of the CD. And obviously a title at the top with their names and the fact that it was 40 years in the color red.

Einstein's Ghost - I have to admit at this point to totally sucking at PowerPoint. I am a whiz at excel, but PowerPoint was always my weakness. That's why I thought that perhaps getting the external drive equipped with LightScribe was the way to go. I figured that since their product was specifically designed to create customized CD's and DVD's, they would have a selection of program options (sort of standards) where you just replaced their generic with your customized version.

I am seriously lost on this one and would SO appreciate it if you guys would just say, "Look, it's obvious you're completely over your head on this one, so your best option would be .......". Either I go out and purchase the printer and go the label route and then end up with a printer I don't really need OR I get the external drive and go the LightScribe way. I'll tell you why I'm kind of adverse to the labels (other than the fact that it costs more), it's just that I'm a music lover and the thought of some cheesy CD received as a party favor getting stuck in one of my drives just gives me the chills. I'd hate for it to happen to me, so am loathe to take the chance on visiting that horror on anyone else.

I know I'm sounding pathetic above, but I really am lost on this and just want to do a nice thing for a friend and not screw it up. Thanks again to all of you. And seriously, feel free to talk to me like a 5 year old - because when it comes to this stuff, that would appear to be my mental age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It does appear that you are surfing the leading edge of your learning curve. Before going too much further, I would remind you that what you are doing is a violation of copyright, and depending on how you plan on copying the songs may not even be possible. I was initially under the impression you were going to be using recordings of live music and/or photographs.

In any event, that job will be tedious, and because there are copyright issues you will likely have a difficult time finding someone to do the grunt work. Do you have alternative ideas that aren't as iffy?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Einstein's Ghost - I have to admit at this point to totally sucking at PowerPoint. I am a whiz at excel, but PowerPoint was always my weakness. That's why I thought that perhaps getting the external drive equipped with LightScribe was the way to go. I figured that since their product was specifically designed to create customized CD's and DVD's, they would have a selection of program options (sort of standards) where you just replaced their generic with your customized version.
LightScribe would help label discs (I believe there is a LightScribe competition out there, but the name escapes me at the moment).

PowerPoint can be used to make a slideshow with transitions and (if you have, music and videos to embed). It can then be converted to a video file and a DVD disc created (using Power Point). However, such discs can only be played via a DVD player (on TV or on laptop/computers). You cannot use them to print a photograph. IMO, that will be a good gift if they already have photographs at hand (or you can copy photographs on a CD).

With PowerPoint, making a video and creating the DVD is quite easy, and fairly quick (the first disc takes time but the subsequent ones are done very quickly). I can give you step by step instructions if you prefer.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Since you want color on the CD you automatically eliminate Lightscribe.

If you don't want paper labels you have only one option that I know of remaining.

Buy the printer that prints directly to the CDs with the coating on them, make the CDs, donate the printer to Goodwill, and take a deduction on your taxes this year.

This is the viewer I included on the CDs I sent out.

Free Photo Viewer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

You can browse, make slide shows, etc. but no music capabilities are included.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Something like this?

The large circle is the limit of the CD and anything outside will not print. The inner white circle is the center area that will not be printed on. This was done in Paint Shop Pro using layers so I could place items over the picture.

For anyone who likes puzzles: Who is that in the picture? I will tell you they are in the news and I had no idea it was them when I chose this picture on Google.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I've been able to google my way to figuring out how to burn 100 CD's as party favors via my iTunes accounts. Doing it via my laptop, I know it's going to be a tedious project.

What I can't figure out (since I lack the correct terminology to do a proper search) is how to take the blank CD from, say, Staples, and "burn" a picture of the happy couple who are celebrating their anniversary. I know it can be done, and I'm hoping that one of you can not only tell me the proper way to do this (I'm guessing I will be downloading their original wedding photo digitially?) but also do I do the "photo burning" before I do the playlist burning?

Sorry if I've mangled the proper terms for this process. I really do appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
I think this might be a copyright violation. If you purchase a song via iTunes, I don't believe this gives you the privilege of burning copies for all your friends, party favors or not.

I would certainly review the terms of service with iTunes before I did this. Just sayin'

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would certainly review the terms of service with iTunes before I did this.
Look for terms like:
*distributing* (that is what you are going to do !)
*monetary gain* (you will NOT be selling them !)

You can make copies for yourself sometimes, often only as long as it does not leave your posession.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
OK, first Tek - I want to know who that couple is!!!
Second, reading what's been said here, although my intentions were good, and I own the songs, I DO believe this to be a violation of copyright infringement since I'm copying them AND distributing them (although not for monetary gain!). That's something I don't want to be a part of. When that whole Napster (??) thing first hit the scene lo those many years ago, I can remember feeling outraged on behalf of the artists. I think although my intentions were good, this is walking that line and I don't want to be part of that.

Now - does anyone have any good ideas for party favors with a 70's theme???!!!!

Seriously - thanks again to all of you. It's much appreciated.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Roach clips?
The 70s was a divisive era, what is good symbolism to one might not be to another. Slinkys?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 PM

Sarah and Todd Palin. Of all the people for me to accidentally pick she is, perhaps, ironic.

How long does the copyright last on music? I'm assuming you are putting those 15 songs on the CD...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics