Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times

Advertisements

According to this (http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/brand-name-of-sanyo-to-be-basically-terminated-in-april-2012 - broken link), Panasonic is planning on doing away with the SANYO brand name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Sorry, broken link, but I guess it is happening.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Sorry, broken link, but I guess it is happening.
I'm not surprised to hear about that, since both companies have a lot of overlap in certain areas like kitchen appliances, A/V gear like camcorders and more.

BTW for anyone who wants THE best HDTV, if you can find a later model Pioneer plasma especially from their Kuro series, grab it! Pioneer, a relatively small manufacturer as TVs go, recently got out of the plasma flatscreen biz due to intense competition from the cheaper brands - NOT because the cheaper brands had better TVs - and are no longer being manufactured. Supposedly Panasonic acquired the rights to much of the Kuro technology and are going to, or already have, incorporated it into their better plasma models. I did just see an Elite-branded LCD at Busted Buy a couple days ago but I and many others, still don't think LCDs perform at the same quality levels even basic plasmas can manage, especially reproducing truly black blacks i.e. contrast issues still plague most LCDs.

And since LCDs use a separate lighting system, either fluorescent tubes or LEDs, they can be turned up to very bright levels to overcome a store's intense overhead lighting, leading to the impression plasmas are too dark (plasmas emit light from the plasma action itself).....the thing is, when used in an actual home environment, a plasma has no problems dealing with the lighting found there.

BTW if anyone owns an LCD that has what's called on A/V forums the "soap opera video look" where movies or anything else using film has the look of cheap video tape or a sort of hyper-detailed crystalline look, that can be fixed. This is a feature called "motion interpolation" - which is different from the screen's referesh rate i.e. 120Hz, 240Hz etc - and is used to help overcome the deficiencies of the LCD system, mainly the smearing effect when fast moving objects are displayed. Plasmas do not have this problem so they don't need this system.

It's known by different trade names for each brand - for example I think Samsung's is called AutoMotion Plus - but to turn it off you'll probably need to go into the TV's advanced settings menu, buried somewhere in the regular everyday settings menu. Once you do this images will look much more natural though sports broadcasts like football or soccer will not look as good.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I'm a graphic designer/art director - I can get very picky about color and image quality.
I am totally digging the Vizio 46 inch 3D (3D Processors allow for a faster refresh in 2D). We could have afforded a Sony, but we thought the Vizio had a better picture)
Sony's mainstream line sucks. But their XBR (or whatever it is called now) is really the best you can get. Vizio is good for the money... unless you watch sports. Their 120hz/240hz is such a horrible mimic.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest;21880470[B
]Sanyo was reliable with their tubes,[/b] but have fallen into a low quality brand.
You are right about that. I once had a Sanyo that lasted about 25 years.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,915 times
Thumbs down Sanyo TV

Received a Sanyo TV for my birthday a couple of years ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. The screen developed large spots at the top about a year after purchasing. Tried to work with their customer service department, but they were extremely unhelpful. The finally offered to provide us with a small amount towards the purchase of another TV, but we would have to ship the old TV back. Just turned on the TV and now there is no picture at all.

I have several other TV's and have never had any problems like this! This television was by far the worst I have ever had and the company refuses to stand behind their product.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Panasonic makes both the best LCDs and Plasma sets. (Consumer Reports).
I love our Viera!
CR is wrong. Few people in the business think Panasonic LCDs are the best. Plasmas, absolutely.

I'm surprised at how little was made of picture quality vs longevity in this thread.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
CR is wrong. Few people in the business think Panasonic LCDs are the best. Plasmas, absolutely.

I'm surprised at how little was made of picture quality vs longevity in this thread.
What "business" exactly? Consumer electronic engineering? I have to ask because my relationships in the field is pretty strong .

Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What "business" exactly? Consumer electronic engineering? I have to ask because my relationships in the field is pretty strong .
A/V retailing, manufacturing, reps, installers, experienced pro reviewers. Anyone who is qualified to actually evaluate a picture, not just compare specs. People I've known for years whose opinion I respect. Me, to some extent! People who look at a Panasonic LCD and see immediately that it doesn't resolve black levels like some other LCDs do.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I'm thinking Panasonic 50" Plasma if I ever get the refund for the POS Westinghouse 46" that only lasted 8 months. Everyone seems happy with it and Costco offers a two year warranty, and you can add more at a reasonable price with in-home service.

Unfortunately, when something new comes out all the reviews are great, but you can't tell how reliable it is or whether the company has any customer service until months later.You do get what you pay for, the Westinghouse was a great price but they seem to only last 3-12 months.

Have been waiting for my refund for over 2 months. Hopefully people check the Better Business Bureau and see their rating of F, and heck some of the comments on their FB page.

//www.facebook.com/WestinghouseTV?ref=ts&fref=ts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics