Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,063,116 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about iPods. Would like to buy my husband one for Christmas.

I saw the iPod 5th generation, liked it. Saw that it's not there's a newer one yet the older one is higher priced. I'm confused. Wouldn't the newer one be priced higher?

Also, form someone whose primary interest is music, is the 5th generation a good option? Video and pictures are nice but for instance, I know my husband doesn't need an iPod touch. It's got more features than he would actually use.

And finally, where is the best place to purchase?

Thank you kindly for any input on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:52 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,029,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I don't know anything about iPods. Would like to buy my husband one for Christmas.

I saw the iPod 5th generation, liked it. Saw that it's not there's a newer one yet the older one is higher priced. I'm confused. Wouldn't the newer one be priced higher?

Also, form someone whose primary interest is music, is the 5th generation a good option? Video and pictures are nice but for instance, I know my husband doesn't need an iPod touch. It's got more features than he would actually use.

And finally, where is the best place to purchase?

Thank you kindly for any input on this matter.
I'm afraid your post is confusing. Are you asking specifically about the Nano or all iPods?

The Nano is is about 1 1/4 inches square, has a touch screen, and a spring clip. It displays pictures but not video.

The Touch looks like an iPhone. It does just about everything and costs the most.

The Classic uses the traditional click wheel controls, has a hard drive for storage, and plays videos.

The Shuffle is the size of a stamp, has no display, and has the smallest capacity.

I would buy online because I think the Apple store is a crowded mess.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:16 PM

471 posts, read 1,602,362 times
There are other MP3 players out there, many others, besides those from Apple. And a lot of those are considered to be better choices than an Apple, shocking as that may seem.

The only significant advantage Apple's players have IMO is if you want to connect them to an external audio device - car stereo, home stereo or one of those docks - which usually offers the useful bonus of charging the Apple and for the home/car stereo, display of the player's menu.

Lastly, I've found most of Apple's latest players are usually more difficult to use because of their user interface which to me place style over function. And while physical buttons may not seem "sexy" or cool, they sure make a player easier to use in most cases, especially when used in a car or other situation where you cannot, or simply don't want to, look at the display (I have a 3rd generation Nano which I finally stopped using while hiking and while driving because of this).

Old 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM

The single worst thing about iPods is iTunes, a horrific piece of software. I have a new Nano, bought only to plug into a car stereo. The Nano is a beautiful piece of hardware. But it kills me that I have to use iTunes with it.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,951,675 times
iTunes are so easy to use. Yet some people (like my brother and brother in law), who have very solid PC skills tend to over think the application and make it much more difficult than it is.

That being said, the Nano is a nice solid music player. I love the third party wristband that essentially turns it into a watch. Pretty nice if you are an active runner, cycler or gym rat.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM

iTunes is best for non-advanced users. It wants to own and control everything. I never buy and music from iTunes. When you already have 10,000 songs, it is awful for managing folders, etc.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,951,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
iTunes is best for non-advanced users. It wants to own and control everything. I never buy and music from iTunes. When you already have 10,000 songs, it is awful for managing folders, etc.
I consider myself a pretty advanced user.

I think I have only purchased about 20 songs on itunes (plus a lot of free tunes-some are quite good - btw Amazon also offers good free music, found a lot of cool new bands, Amazon also integrates very well with iTunes)

Ripped most of my CD collection seamlessly on iTunes. My collection is also about 15,000 songs

No problem in managing my music or my movies.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Pardon me for being more of a Luddite than I apparently knew, but what is the alternative to iTunes? I've only ever bought those iTunes cards for nieces, friends kids, etc. Didn't realize there were other options.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
There are other MP3 players out there, many others, besides those from Apple. And a lot of those are considered to be better choices than an Apple, shocking as that may seem.

The only significant advantage Apple's players have IMO is if you want to connect them to an external audio device - car stereo, home stereo or one of those docks - which usually offers the useful bonus of charging the Apple and for the home/car stereo, display of the player's menu.

Lastly, I've found most of Apple's latest players are usually more difficult to use because of their user interface which to me place style over function. And while physical buttons may not seem "sexy" or cool, they sure make a player easier to use in most cases, especially when used in a car or other situation where you cannot, or simply don't want to, look at the display (I have a 3rd generation Nano which I finally stopped using while hiking and while driving because of this).
Is there a specific MP3 player you would recommend? Although, honestly, my intent was to purchase a docking station with speakers. We don't actually have a stereo system at home although DH loves music.

I sincerely appreciate everyone weighing in and enlightening me.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid your post is confusing. Are you asking specifically about the Nano or all iPods?

The Nano is is about 1 1/4 inches square, has a touch screen, and a spring clip. It displays pictures but not video.

The Touch looks like an iPhone. It does just about everything and costs the most.

The Classic uses the traditional click wheel controls, has a hard drive for storage, and plays videos.

The Shuffle is the size of a stamp, has no display, and has the smallest capacity.

I would buy online because I think the Apple store is a crowded mess.
Sincerely appreciate the clarification. I didn't write a very eloquent post. It was a tad bit confusing to me too when I went to reread it!

I believe the Nano is still the one that interests me most. However, the newer ones isn't appealing. It's entirely too small for my husband. I remain confused about why the newer model costs less than the older version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics