Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 11:17 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times

Advertisements

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a GPS and I have a question. Typically I do not take interstate highways *ever* and rarely four-lane highways. I prefer to travel the smaller roads when going from point "A" to point "B".

From what I have seen of GPS systems, they route you, pretty much the most direct way. Usually, this means an interstate or other "big" highway. I am wondering if there is an "options" setting on them that allows you to exclude this kind of roadway. Also, does it give you the option to choose a route in advance (like mapping software i.e. "Streets and Trips"), whereby you can choose the way you want to go in advance of actually going there, taking side trips as desired?

Are these kinds of options available on all GPS units or just a few? I have checked online extensively and this feature does not seem to be important to people buying a GPS because I never see it mentioned.

Thanks for any information

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Navigon's software lets you forbid/avoid highways, toll roads, ferries, residents only streets, and HOV lanes. They're owned by Garmin, so I'm guessing the standalone units can maybe do it? Supposedly stuff from Tomtom can also do it, but I haven't tried it out.

Planning ahead is a bit of a weak point. You can set up where you want to go/which places you want to go through along the way ahead of time, but that's about it.

I would go to a store and try them out to see what will work for you. The highways thing is probably buried in the settings somewhere.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,276 times
I have used a few Garmin and Tom Tom products. They all seem to have features that allow you to bypass interstates and other specified types of roads.

You can always search online for manuals for a GPS you are considering. This will give you the details about avoiding these types of roads.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
How to force "Least Use of Highway" on A Garmin Nuvi (GPSmagazine.com)

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-08-2012 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Removed uneeded comment...

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 AM

103 posts, read 205,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a GPS and I have a question. Typically I do not take interstate highways *ever* and rarely four-lane highways. I prefer to travel the smaller roads when going from point "A" to point "B".

From what I have seen of GPS systems, they route you, pretty much the most direct way. Usually, this means an interstate or other "big" highway. I am wondering if there is an "options" setting on them that allows you to exclude this kind of roadway. Also, does it give you the option to choose a route in advance (like mapping software i.e. "Streets and Trips"), whereby you can choose the way you want to go in advance of actually going there, taking side trips as desired?

Are these kinds of options available on all GPS units or just a few? I have checked online extensively and this feature does not seem to be important to people buying a GPS because I never see it mentioned.

20yrsinBranson
I sometimes have my Garmin set so it avoids freeways. Very easy and straightforward to do.

Uh, by the way, I know you didn't ask but your GPS should have a variety of voices to choose from. I prefer the female voice with a British accent. I think I'm in love with her.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

I recently bought the Garmin below to replace my older Garmin. It has lifetime free map updates,bluetooth and voice command which is nice as it syncs with my Iphones contacts. You can also voice command your destination which is a great feature too.It has Route Avoidance to avoid highways which is what you're looking for.It has a ton more options and it's really easy to set up and navigate through.

Garmin nuvi 2460LMT Automobile Portable GPS Navigator 010-00903-07 - Buy Garmin GPS Devices | PCNation.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by havreman View Post
Uh, by the way, I know you didn't ask but your GPS should have a variety of voices to choose from. I prefer the female voice with a British accent. I think I'm in love with her.
lol...She does have a hot voice.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Isn't it also possible to map out your route (on Google maps, for instance) and load that map into the GPS?
I think I noticed that capability because I often experimentally zig zag around ordinary suggested routes, but haven't tried it yet.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Isn't it also possible to map out your route (on Google maps, for instance)
Possible yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
and load that map into the GPS?
I think I noticed that capability because I often experimentally zig zag around ordinary suggested routes, but haven't tried it yet.
Maybe, jumping through some gyrations... I basically quit programming over 10 years ago. Use to program a few aviation GPS's... Get the coordinates of each point, enter them in the GPS as a route.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics