Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 PM

560 posts, read 578,461 times

Advertisements

I came across a box of VHS recordings that must be over 20-25 years old. These are Super Bowls, World Series recordings from that era. The problem is, I dont have a VHS player anymore. My question is, Are these VHS tapes still good? Or do they become crappy over time quality wise? I ask this, because I would like to get a VHS player, only if the quality of these tapes were adequate and watchable. Anyone had this experience with this old technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 05:55 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,908,654 times
Depends on a lot on how they were stored, if they were in a cool dry place they should be in excellent shape as long as they weren't played a lot previously, taken care of before, recorded in SP... lot of factors, it's a crap shoot.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depends on a lot on how they were stored, if they were in a cool dry place they should be in excellent shape as long as they weren't played a lot previously, taken care of before, recorded in SP... lot of factors, it's a crap shoot.
They were stored in a cool dry place and werent played alot. Dont remember if they were recorded in SP. If I can find a player for around $200 may just go for it. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have VHS tapes that are in excellent shape, that are around 25 years old?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 AM

620 posts, read 1,747,605 times
Does it really make sense to pay $200 for a chance to sit through videos of championship games from around 1990?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Does it really make sense to pay $200 for a chance to sit through videos of championship games from around 1990?
LOL, I can think of several other things that I can pay $200 for entertainment. That said, its not only championship games, but other television programming of that time. It just intrigues me to be able to go through these archives which would equate to several hours of entertainment perhaps. I actually thought about tossing them, but decided to post here and get peoples experience with this old technology then decide what to do.

BTW I do have a good collection of DVD, BluRay, etc. this will just be another form of media to possibly enjoy.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,942,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
They were stored in a cool dry place and werent played alot. Dont remember if they were recorded in SP. If I can find a player for around $200 may just go for it. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have VHS tapes that are in excellent shape, that are around 25 years old?
a few years back I converted my collection of a couple hundred VHS tapes to DVDs, many of which I'm sure were at least 20 years old. Most of them were recorded as SLP (4 hrs) and are certainly still watchable on DVD but of course not DVD quality. Don't recall any that got ate or were not able to be played back. Before you throw out that unreplacable VHS because it won't play back, I'm sure you could find a repair kit that can restore the VHS using a different case/spindles.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 AM

23,562 posts, read 70,139,402 times
I've got plenty that are that old and probably older. The technology was a lot more robust than it was given credit for. OTOH, I REGULARLY get DVDs from Netflix and Facets that are unplayable. Never trust advertising hype.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 AM

18,193 posts, read 25,756,912 times
Rockycity! I'll bet you can cut down that $200 price down a very substantial amount by checking out the thrift stores in your area (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.) I have a few hundred VHS tapes that I still play every once in a while. Lots of westerns, scifi (Star Trek, Star wars), etc. And also 100 plus football games that go back a few decades. I keep them for reference and at times they come in handy as I moderate the football forums on City Data.

About 6 months ago I finally broke my Magnavox combo VHS/DVD player out of the box and hooked it up after the old one bit the dust(which lasted 9 years) It wasn't the VHS problem at all, it was that the dvd wouldn't play once out of every half dozen plays. Then finally it wouldn't eject at all, but VHS tapes would play.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:16 PM

16,499 posts, read 19,562,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Rockycity! I'll bet you can cut down that $200 price down a very substantial amount by checking out the thrift stores in your area (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.) I have a few hundred VHS tapes that I still play every once in a while.
Right! "Full retail prices" for new is less then $100. You can still get some that play DVD's and VHS for around $80.
Craigslist? Pfft. $20.

As for shelf life?
30-40 years easy.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
a few years back I converted my collection of a couple hundred VHS tapes to DVDs, many of which I'm sure were at least 20 years old. Most of them were recorded as SLP (4 hrs) and are certainly still watchable on DVD but of course not DVD quality. Don't recall any that got ate or were not able to be played back. Before you throw out that unreplacable VHS because it won't play back, I'm sure you could find a repair kit that can restore the VHS using a different case/spindles.
Excellent information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics