Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 AM

620 posts, read 1,744,160 times

Advertisements

I have a water softener that occasionally shows an error code and quits working. I unplug it, it resets itself but happens again a few days later. The house was built in 2003. The Culligan repair guy replaced the circuit board but that didn't seem to help. He thinks it's getting electrical spikes and suggests I get a surge protector. Do you guys have any suggestions? I don't want a multi-outlet power strip laying on the garage floor. Maybe something between the power cord and the 110 outlet on the wall? Also, what specs should I look for for this application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM

23,523 posts, read 69,933,850 times
Just get a whole house surge protector and protect everything in the place. However... you could be getting brownouts or have a low voltage situation that could also cause error codes. In that case, you would need a line conditioner (more expensive). Contact Culligan directly to see if this is a common problem before investing too much.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,108,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just get a whole house surge protector and protect everything in the place. However... you could be getting brownouts or have a low voltage situation that could also cause error codes. In that case, you would need a line conditioner (more expensive). Contact Culligan directly to see if this is a common problem before investing too much.
I agree this is a good idea. BUT it will not completely protect electronics that are connected to phone/cable/sat or other external lines from surge damage. Just an FYI.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,008,778 times
Just buy a surge protector that plugs directly into the outlet. No cord. Buy a reputable brand. Or replace the outlet itself with an outlet that includes a surge. Leviton makes them.

No need to overthink this.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,586,529 times
Quote:
The Culligan repair guy replaced the circuit board but that didn't seem to help.
Did he replace the DC adapter that connects it to the outlet? What is the code that comes up?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Did he replace the DC adapter that connects it to the outlet? What is the code that comes up?
My house had a direct lightning strike last summer that blasted a hole in the roof and fried several circuit boards, etc. I lost one computer, the security system, sprinkler controller, printer, one of two garage-door openers, etc. The DC adapter was fried and was replaced by the Culligan repairman which got rid of the error code E1. It worked fine until one day the E1 error code came back. I can reset it by pulling the transformer and then plugging it back in, but a few days later the E1 is back. The Culligan repair guy then replaced the circuit board but that didn't seem to help - a few days later the E1 is back. He thinks it's getting electrical spikes and suggests I get a surge protector.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
... He thinks it's getting electrical spikes and suggests I get a surge protector.
It sounds like you are getting the reverse: Power drops. Have you noticed the lights in your home dimming for a split second? This is usually caused by either an HVAC or a refrigerator starting up. Most likely you will need a UPS with a line conditioner.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
It sounds like you are getting the reverse: Power drops. Have you noticed the lights in your home dimming for a split second? This is usually caused by either an HVAC or a refrigerator starting up. Most likely you will need a UPS with a line conditioner.
The A/C condenser/HVAC causes a brief dimming.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
The A/C condenser/HVAC causes a brief dimming.

Then I would look there for the cause. A surge protector won't help. And its most likely spiking the whole house.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM

I bought a single-outlet surge protector (900 joule rated) and plugged the softener into it. I'll report back. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics