Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,290 times

Advertisements

Last year I switched my internet from Comcast to Qwest just prior to them becoming Century Link so I could bundle it with my home phone and DirecTV. What a mistake! My connection was so much slower and my bundled "savings" were actually more than I was paying before. When I decided to cancel the home phone, the first thing I did was switch my internet back to Comcast. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never had any real issues with their customer service-which is unusual when it comes to me and tech issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
"Puuuuppppyyyy!"

Comcast has probably the worst customer service of an company I have encountered except Bank of America and Wells Fargo Bank.

When we switched, we went to WOW. They are somewhat better. We are stuck with cable because that is how we get internet and phone. We do not have phone lines to our house. Well we did, but they got broken and never were repaired.

Compcast calls us regualrly and tells me they can save us money. First they ask about our phone costs. How much do you pay? $200 a year. "well we can prpvide unlimited phone service for only $21 per month." But $21 per month is a lot more than $200 per year. "Well we have unlimited calling" So do we, but we also have unlimited international calling. "Well we include four extra features like call waiting" We get six and two incoming lines so we cna take two calls on our number at the same time. "Well our service is better" Why? "It is only $21 per month."

I swear these people are all blonde.

Same with cable and interenet service. They call and tell us their price is better, then they tell us it is $40 a month more, but they give us 50 more channels we do not want. Oh and the interenet is slower.

How on earth does that company stay in business?
Dumped Comcast in 2007.

When I returned their cable box to a local center, they asked for a "return box fee of 100.00".

LOL.

I told her she was lucky my ex-husband wanst returning that box to her. It would not have been pleasant.

Comcast is living in 1999, they think its competitive to charge 300.00 a month for mediocre stations (600 stations no one watches) and net, and inept customer service.

DirectTV or livestream movies and news is much better.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,020,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"Bundling" drives me nuts. And paying extra for a Phone line to "bundle you"???? Maddening.
And people do it every day.
"You still have a landline?"
"Well, yea, the total package was cheaper if I got the phone part".

So basically you pay let's say $70 for cable. $40 for internet. and another $30 for "phone". What many folks don't realize is your "phone" is really just VOIP. Voice running over that internet connection that you are already paying $40 for. You're not really getting anything extra except the ability to use the connection you are already paying for to run your voice calls.

Um... if you're going to do that you may as well get a "Magic Jack".

Want to know something even funnier? My parents have the bundle too. If your cable goes out so does your phone. When I called to get Comcast they tried to get me on their Home Alarm system. I asked what happens if my cable goes out, do I lose my alarm? He said yes and I said um then no. That's an awesome Alarm system right there. A thief can unplug or cut your coax outside your house and go to town on your belongings. Hopefully since then they've upgraded this.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Want to know something even funnier? My parents have the bundle too. If your cable goes out so does your phone. When I called to get Comcast they tried to get me on their Home Alarm system. I asked what happens if my cable goes out, do I lose my alarm? He said yes and I said um then no. That's an awesome Alarm system right there. A thief can unplug or cut your coax outside your house and go to town on your belongings. Hopefully since then they've upgraded this.
They can do the same if you use a land line, which is why good alarms system have a wireless backup as well as some sort of heartbeat to detect when the connection is cut.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Comcast augments their alarm system with wireless. If the electricity and/or cable goes out, you're still covered. The guy on the phone was wrong.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,444,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I have been watching over the air digital TV, not all of it HD of course, since 2005
Interesting. It started in 2006.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Interesting. It started in 2006.
It started in 1998, in Raleigh. Most (all?) full power broadcasters switched to OTA digital by 2006, with the shutoff of full power analog broadcast in 2009.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,444,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It started in 1998, in Raleigh. Most (all?) full power broadcasters switched to OTA digital by 2006, with the shutoff of full power analog broadcast in 2009.
Well, Wilmington NC (close to Raleigh, within 2 hours) was the first test case of the transition to digital OTA, and that was done in 2008....

(But really, no one cares, as satellite has essentially squelched the OTA market, as you can get local HD channels via satellite, plus about another 500 channels. OTA reception is the equivalent of Betamax VCR's of technology). YMMV

Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,097,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I expected a hard time for cancelling, but to deliberately mislead? Disgusting.
While I is possible she was intentionally trying to mislead you, it is also possible that she was simply an idiot altogether. I seem to meet more and more of them everyday, and it really is amazing what some of them believe.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
While I is possible she was intentionally trying to mislead you, it is also possible that she was simply an idiot altogether. I seem to meet more and more of them everyday, and it really is amazing what some of them believe.
Yea, I suspect complete idiot, not intentionally trying to mislead the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics