Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by saying my expertise in I.T. isn't so much in the networking end, so please forgive my ignorance. I purchased a Bluray player for my wife's HDTV that we have in the bedroom. It has the internet apps on it (Netflix, Amazon Video, Vudu, etc..) but the catch is that it's just a wired player, not wireless. So, I happen to have an extra unused cheap Linksys-N router that I think is DD-WRT compatible, and I was thinking of upgrading it to DD-WRT and turning it into a bridge so that I can get the bluray player connected to the internet. I figured this was easier than having to drill holes and run Ethernet cable through the attic or crawl space.

So my questions are, has anybody tried this? Did it work pretty well?

My second thoughts are, my wireless speeds in my house seem to be half the speeds of my wired internet. My desktop, which is connected to one of the wired ports on my router, usually averages between 20 - 27 mbps of download speed. My wireless devices get at best 12mbps, but probably average closer to 8 mbps. My wireless router is approximately 30 feet away from my farthest wireless device - my Playstation 3, which is located in our living room. Assuming my first project works (turn wired bluray into wireless) would it make any sense putting another bridged router in the living room to plug the Playstation into, or would it make no difference in terms of internet speed? Both the Bluray player and the Playstation would be important devices for me to have constant internet speed, since those devices will heavily use apps like Netflix and other streaming media.

Anyways, I'm sure there has to be someone on here who has done some networking, and has tried the bridged router approach. I'm just not into having to run cable, and I figured maybe this would somehow help increase the wireless performance? (Maybe not but then again, I'm not networking expert.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM

354 posts, read 517,779 times
Best u can do is return it and buy a wireless capable 1 . If u cant, What i would do to make it wireless is buy a usb wifi provided the player has usb and theres a way to install wifi drivers. ya know.

By the way what makes u think that your solution above will.make it wireless if there is no wifi reception at all in the player?

oh the bridge?

Last edited by msvalentine; 12-26-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 03:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
I'd probably replace the router as the speed differences should not be that drastic. Next I would return the Blu-ray player and purchase a wifi version of it ($40-$70). As to the PS3 its already wifi. As to Netlix it buffers what it needs before playing a film so internet speed is may make a difference in a few seconds of extra buffering.

LG Smart 3D WiFi BuiltIn Bluray Player BP325W - Best Buy

Toshiba BD-X2250 Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player - CowBoom.com

Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
Best u can do is return it and buy a wireless capable 1 . If u cant, What i would do to make it wireless is buy a usb wifi provided the player has usb and theres a way to install wifi drivers. ya know.
No, that doesn't work. The Bluray's OS doesn't recognize the USB WiFi. It's merely just a USB port for extra storage or a way of uploading firmware updates via USB stick.

Quote:
By the way what makes u think that your solution above will.make it wireless if there is no wifi reception at all in the player?
oh the bridge?
I take it you're not very advanced in networking? I really posted this thread in hopes that someone who knows something about networking or even works as a Network Admin could answer my questions, but I'll answer yours. Bridging routers often is used in bringing two networks together wirelessly, instead of having to run long Ethernet cables from one place to another. So in theory, the second router (the bridge) is merely a pass thru point to send internet/network traffic on wirelessly, but could also send it on as a wired connection as well since most wireless routers also have wired Ethernet ports.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
wga600n in Home Networking & Connectivity | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-.../dp/B0010TEOLQ

I used that Linksys Gaming Adapter WGA600N to connect a Dell laser printer that did not have wifi connectivity.
Worked like a champ.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I'd probably replace the router as the speed differences should not be that drastic.
I did replace the router - actually bought the most expensive wireless router Best Buy had, and ya know what? the speeds didn't change - in fact they were even slower than the old Linksys G with DD-WRT. So, I returned it. I do, however still have an extra Wireless N Linksys that I was going to use as the bridge (it was also meant as a replacement but again, had slower wireless speeds than the G). One thing you have to understand about wireless routers, is that the newer ones tend to have both 2.4ghz band as well as 5ghz frequency. The higher the frequency the more sensitive it is to interference. You can shut off the 5 and just roll with the 2.4, but there was no better speed or frequency range than the 802.11 G I have.

Quote:
Next I would return the Blu-ray player and purchase a wifi version of it ($40-$70).
The wiFi version of the one I have is more expensive. It's closer to $100. I got mine for around $50. The ones you've posted have horrible reviews.

Quote:
As to the PS3 its already wifi. As to Netlix it buffers what it needs before playing a film so internet speed is may make a difference in a few seconds of extra buffering.
Yes I know the PS3 is wireless...I've been using my PS3 wirelessly for about four years now. You're missing the point. The point is, the PS3 has the most distance between it and the wireless router, and my thoughts were having a closer access point might help to improve both connectivity and possibly speeds - which is why I was hoping someone from a networking background could help me with the answers on this.

Thank you for chiming in though, but I'm still hoping that someone who knows about bridging routers could chime in.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
wga600n in Home Networking & Connectivity | eBay

I used that Linksys Gaming Adapter WGA600N to connect to a Dell laser printer that did not have wifi connectivity.
Worked like a champ.
hhhhmmm...now that's interesting. And not too expensive. I might try that if my bridge option doesn't work.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS and I'm currently sitting wirelessly 90 feet away from it. My connection right now is 53/10 with three computers running and Netflix streaming to the TV. I have comcast standard blast. So if you've used a new router and it got worse, then replace the modem and/or the coax cable to it (and splitters). Also contact your provider and have them reset your signal and make sure the correct modem is seen on their system.

Here's a link that may assist you with your query:
Configuring two wireless routers with one SSID (network name) at home for free roaming - Scott Hanselman

Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
So, I happen to have an extra unused cheap Linksys-N router that I think is DD-WRT compatible, and I was thinking of upgrading it to DD-WRT and turning it into a bridge so that I can get the bluray player connected to the internet. I figured this was easier than having to drill holes and run Ethernet cable through the attic or crawl space.

So my questions are, has anybody tried this? Did it work pretty well?
I've done this with an older Netgear router and DD-WRT. It works well.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:

oh the bridge?
Of course, the bridge. Did you even read his question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics