Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

The TV is a Hisense F55T39EGWD. The receiver is a Sony STRDH520. The speakers are a psb center, left and right. And an episode sub. Four speakers total.
All of the speakers are hooked up directly to the receiver. The center, left, and right are hooked up using speaker wire. The sub is hooked up with a cable from the sub out on the receiver to the left in on the sub. The HD cable box is hooked up to the receiver via the sat/catv in then from the receiver via the TV out arc to the hdmi 1 input on the TV. Sound only out of the left and the center. No sound from the right or the sub. All hoohups are from the instructions.

Any help from experienced receiver - TV hookup pros?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Assuming you're using HDMI from the cbox to the receiver, that sounds correct. From here it's a process of elimination.

Does it do this on all cable channels?

What happens when you turn off surround sound and use the system in stereo mode?

Do the sub and all speakers work using another source, such as the tuner or something else you have connected?

Have you tried unplugging the cbox power to see if it resets?

Have you tried moving the HDMI from the cbox to another input on the receiver?

Do you know that all of the components work? It's not likely that two pieces wouldn't work at the same time, but stranger things have happened. Make sure all your connections are as you've said, and are tight.

There's a few thoughts off the top of my head. Start with that and we'll go from there.

Good top post, BTW. So many are more like "my speaker doesn't work. sub not too. help."

Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
vmaxnc;27308258]

Assuming you're using HDMI from the cbox to the receiver, that sounds correct. From here it's a process of elimination.

What happens when you turn off surround sound and use the system in stereo mode?

Do the sub and all speakers work using another source, such as the tuner or something else you have connected?

Do you know that all of the components work? It's not likely that two pieces wouldn't work at the same time, but stranger things have happened. Make sure all your connections are as you've said, and are tight.

There's a few thoughts off the top of my head. Start with that and we'll go from there.

Good top post, BTW. So many are more like "my speaker doesn't work. sub not too. help."

[/quote]

I'm trying to help someone else so it's not my system.
Per the receiver instructions, the HD cable box is hooked up to the receiver via the sat/catv in then from the receiver via the TV out arc to the hdmi 1 input on the TV.

That is the only mention of HDMI.
And the term "arc" is alien to me.

The receiver and sub are hooked together with a binary brand cable.

We can try all your suggestions above. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
vmaxnc;27308258]

I'm trying to help someone else so it's not my system.
Per the receiver instructions, the HD cable box is hooked up to the receiver via the sat/catv in then from the receiver via the TV out arc to the hdmi 1 input on the TV.

That is the only mention of HDMI.
And the term "arc" is alien to me.

The receiver and sub are hooked together with a binary brand cable.

We can try all your suggestions above. Thanks.[/quote]
It's alien to me too, but I figured there was enough other good info that it didn't make a difference. I thought it might be "rca" mistyped but that doesn't make a lot of sense either.

You're welcome. Good luck with your project.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
FWIW: ARC is bi-directional HDMI which means data can flow both ways.

The TV does not have ARC.
http://www.hisense.com.au/phpThumb/m...5T39PZLN3D.pdf

So following the directions for it will not help as you cannot send signal out of the TV via HDMI. Thus you need to use optical to optical to send audio out of the TV.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Also FWIW FYI if the OP ever upgrades the TV to a TV with an ARC connection, they will need to upgrade one HDMI cable that is ARC compliant. you'll know nearly immediatly that the cable is compliant when the receivers menu shows up on the TV screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics