Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times

Advertisements

I responded to an ad on craigslist for a used 4th gen Itouch. In the email he said they had reset it and I would need an apple account to set it back up.
So last night I tried setting up and account, set up with paypal so I could buy apps. Didn't get an email or anything but it seemed ok?
Today have the device...not accepting my apple ID. Its only been one day, I wrote down the password WTF. So I start over, this time I got a verify email, no option to pay for anything with paypal or anything. The verify email seemed to go fine. I did use a different password - shorter, simpler.
So I'm trying to download my first app - a free monitor my battery app because the guy said i should watch how often i charge the battery because there is a set lifetime limited number.....
Won't accept my password. Damn I'm sick of accounts and passwords and struggling all the time with one thing or the other. everytime I want to try to get the app I have to type my whole email which is long! on that little screen what a pain, then denied anyway
This is my first apple anything and I don't understand what's going on. Was my first account through itunes? I did get an itunes icon on my desktop last night.
Why is this so complicated? Never been a fan of apple honestly but they have the best apps for bird watching.
Any help out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
All the ipod and iphone users and nothing?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
go to the Apple store and ask for help

Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Apple ID is your email address and your password is case sensitive. Just checked iTunes store and its fully functional. You may have put a capital letter somewhere and not noticed it. On my Apple devices it only requests passwords and not the email address. So the iTouch possibly may have not been returned to day one status when it was sold to you.

Settings --> General --> Reset --> Erase All Content and Settings (on iTouch)

You have have to uninstall Itunes also as it may contain the old users settings.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
My one big beef with Apple is they do not educate enough regarding apple ids. When I help people with their accounts I find that quite a few dont really know what an apple id is and how it works. This causes problems and confusion. Usually by the time they come to me, they have 4 or 5 apple ids going and then its a real mess.

First think of your apple id as a bank account. Whatever you buy stays with that apple id. Lots of people forget their passwords and create a whole new account then become enraged when they realize all the stuff they bought with the first apple id can't be accessed unless they sign into it. This is a real pain when apps need to be updated at a later date. Paypal is being phased out. Either you use a debit card or itunes gift cards.

So here are tips.

Your apple id will always be an email address (unless you are an old timer apple id user. at one time it could be a name, thats a whole other issue)

Your password is case sensitive. Generally the password is at least 8 characters long, one capitalized letter and one number.

If the device was not fully restored to factory settings, then it may be holding onto the former user's name. This can be seen in : Settings>itunes and apps store (unless you are running old software then it will just say store). Up at the top of the screen will show apple id and what name is logged in.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further issues.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times
Good luck. I drove 80 round trip to An apple store.

Pissed me off that they buzz around wanting you to agree that
Everything is AWSOME but don't give you 10 min of uninterrupted
Time w/ the same geek. And the $!!!!

I like apples but budget says PC. iPhone was my first
Apple too

Watch the case sensitive password.

If you have a store around & can get in ( don't know if you can
For free) go there Tell them you want it to be awesome!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,956 times
YES - I am also being driven potty;

One side of the screen says CREATE an Apple ID

The other side says CHOOSE an apple ID

With the comment that THIS MUST NOT BE AN EXISTING EMAIL ADDRESS

Could apple please explain as the one cancels the other out - OXYMORON

Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
Why Apple is such a hassle. Apple ID, syncing hassles with iTunes, proprietary cables and hardware, doesn't play WMA, etc. A plain old MP3 player plugs and plays - no need to erase everything and re sync if you plug it in to another computer.

Also getting android apps is much easier.

It's hard to believe so many people put up with apple; I guess the power of advertising and celebrity endorsements explains it.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
I recently bought my first smart phone, an iphone 5, cause I heard how intuitive it was to operate, didn't even need an instruction book, someone said. I'm an old man and believe me, if I had to do it over again, I would try something else. Its not an easy device to understand, The instruction manual is ,I believe 164 pages.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I recently bought my first smart phone, an iphone 5, cause I heard how intuitive it was to operate, didn't even need an instruction book, someone said. I'm an old man and believe me, if I had to do it over again, I would try something else. Its not an easy device to understand, The instruction manual is ,I believe 164 pages.
I think that can probably be said about any first time smartphone for someone that is new to smartphones.

I doubt Android would be any easier for you.

I myself used Android for the last 4 years and just switched to an iPhone 5s... I'd never touched any Apple phone but didn't have any problem making the adjustment. It is a very user friendly setup... like most.

You'll catch on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics