U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
 
15,015 posts, read 20,622,910 times
Reputation: 12311

Advertisements

Hello. I've been shopping around for a printer because my HP all-in-one printer stopped working. When I read reviews of printers they all sound like crap, I don't know if it's just that people on review sites are extremely critical but I don't want to buy one only for it to not work. Does anyone have a good all-in-one printer (I do use all of the functions) to recommend? I'm even considering an all-in-one laser printer if I can find a good one under $300. Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
 
28,790 posts, read 45,514,574 times
Reputation: 37871
Read through the reviews here:

Newegg.com - Office Products, Laser Printers, laser printer, all in one
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
 
28,790 posts, read 45,514,574 times
Reputation: 37871
If you live near some big box stores take a look at their display models. Sometimes they are at a clearance price. We bought a Brother printer that way and got one heck of a good deal. I do recommend going into the menu and checking the number of pages printed.

Here's the thread regarding that purchase:

//www.city-data.com/forum/compu...lor-laser.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 04:58 PM
 
15,015 posts, read 20,622,910 times
Reputation: 12311
Thanks! I should have mentioned that I'm looking for a color printer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 PM
 
24,497 posts, read 39,687,784 times
Reputation: 12909
What kind of color printing do you do? If you print photos, forgo the laser printer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,665 posts, read 72,607,690 times
Reputation: 50114
Modern inkjets are crap. They are made to be cheap, then they make their money on $50 ink cartridges. They clog up and leak and with medium use last a year or two if you are lucky.
Now I use an HP Laserjet Pro 300 that was $600, black toner $100 and each color $120
but they seem to last forever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 PM
 
15,015 posts, read 20,622,910 times
Reputation: 12311
I don't print photos. I do scan, copy and fax though so I need those functions to work without problems. Of course it would be nice to have inexpensive ink!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
 
24,497 posts, read 39,687,784 times
Reputation: 12909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Modern inkjets are crap. They are made to be cheap, then they make their money on $50 ink cartridges. They clog up and leak and with medium use last a year or two if you are lucky.
Now I use an HP Laserjet Pro 300 that was $600, black toner $100 and each color $120
but they seem to last forever.
Not quite. I have an HP Laserjet 3600dn and an HP Officejet Pro 8500 (about 4 years old). We put about 2000 pages/week through each. Maybe a little more through the officejet because it's used for copying as well. No clogging, no leaks on the officejet. There's nothing that suggests that modern inkjets are crap [as a whole].

Now if you consider the cost of printing:

Laserjet Pro 300 Black Toner: $83.99 at Staples and prints 2200 pages.
Laserjet Pro 300 Color Toner: $119.99 at Staples and prints 2600 pages.

Officejet Pro 8500 Black Ink: 38.99 at Staples and prints 2200 pages.
Officejet Pro 8500 Color Ink: 27.99 at Staples and prints 1400 pages.

This aligns with HP's selling point for the Officejet: "Professional color for up to 50% lower cost per page and less energy use than lasers"

The Officejet Pro 8500 has been replaced by the Officejet Pro 8600 which is a minor revision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM
 
28,790 posts, read 45,514,574 times
Reputation: 37871
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Not quite. I have an HP Laserjet 3600dn and an HP Officejet Pro 8500 (about 4 years old). We put about 2000 pages/week through each. Maybe a little more through the officejet because it's used for copying as well. No clogging, no leaks on the officejet. There's nothing that suggests that modern inkjets are crap [as a whole].

Now if you consider the cost of printing:

Laserjet Pro 300 Black Toner: $83.99 at Staples and prints 2200 pages.
Laserjet Pro 300 Color Toner: $119.99 at Staples and prints 2600 pages.

Officejet Pro 8500 Black Ink: 38.99 at Staples and prints 2200 pages.
Officejet Pro 8500 Color Ink: 27.99 at Staples and prints 1400 pages.

This aligns with HP's selling point for the Officejet: "Professional color for up to 50% lower cost per page and less energy use than lasers"

The Officejet Pro 8500 has been replaced by the Officejet Pro 8600 which is a minor revision.
Which is why I buy toner for the Brother on eBay. A full set for under $100
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
 
24,497 posts, read 39,687,784 times
Reputation: 12909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Which is why I buy toner for the Brother on eBay. A full set for under $100
You can buy ink for an inkjet on eBay as well. I used Staples as a comparison because it was easier. The same can be done using discounted prices on eBay. If you're willing to go generic or refill, it's even cheaper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top