U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM

418 posts, read 684,209 times

Advertisements

I've been getting some PM's on lots of issues people are having when they buy these fancy new SmartTV's and such with all these connectors in the back and it seems too me people are really confused as to what these new TV's can do.

It's always a good idea to dive into your TV's capabilities to get the most bang for your buck so I'll try to help you guys out with Samsung's new SMART TV's that are coming out as of 2011 to present.

There are 3 ways that I stream content to my TV with only one thing connected to it....therefore not having any use for Cable TV.

The first way I stream content to my SmartTV is through netflix or Huluplus..in my case Netflix...
There are 2 ways you can stream...you can stream content through your TV's Wifi connection or you can plug in a usbstick. If your lucky enough to have the new models of Smarttv's where it comes with a wifi connection then your lucky but what if you don't and you have to buy a usbstick? Well here are my suggestions.

Don't buy the usb stick especially if you plan on moving the tv far away from the router. Here is a device that I recommend it's called a Diamond Wifi extender.....and here it is on amazon

Amazon.com: Diamond Multimedia 300Mbps 802.11n Wireless Range Extender (WR300N): Electronics

The reason that I recommend it over the usbstick is because as streaming becomes more popular movies become harder to stream with usb sticks. The Diamond Wifi extender plugs in to a power outlet closest to your TV then you plug a network cable from the extender to your TV you can even hide it if you want. It's very powerful and there is no lag.

(Second way to stream content) The other way you can stream NETFLIX to your Samsung TV is with a ROKU box. It's very reliable and streams HD content. IFyou bought a tv but it's not a SMART tv this is probably your best option for streaming content to your TV unless you have an XBOX360 or PS3 around they will do the same thing.

Now on to the SMART Tv's ....

I got some Pm's about how to stream content from your PC to your TV and many people still don't realize that your PC can be a media server and stream videos, pictures, even documents to other electronic devices in your house as long as they are all connected to your network.

Here's how it's done.

(Third way to stream content) There is a program called Samsung allshare it's still relatively new and everytime when I visit family and friends it amazes me that on ones taking advantage of this amazing program. Just google Samsung Allshare for Windows and download it and install it on your PC.

Open up Samsung Allshare and on the content list click on the little plus sign and add a folder. This folder should be the folder where all your content is at be it Movies, music, or pictures. Once that is done restart your PC and turn on your Samsung Smarttv.

Once the PC boots back up your TV should be able to see it under "sources" click on your Computer name go to Videos and all your movies that are on your PC should be available to you now on your TV. What's so important about this? Well for one you could buy 1 TB or 2 TB Hard Drives and transfer all your DVD collections to your computer and having them available to you from your PC to your TV. That's not all
you can also catch the streaming media server on your other digital devices like Samsung tablets, samsung phones, and other branded tablets and phones.

I used to recommend other media servers like serviio and such but Samsung Allshare is just too good and reliable and it does seem like a lot of work to put all your DVD collections on your computers but once you get all that on your PC and you stream it around the house it makes life much easier to watch your favorite movies on your SmartTV.

I saved the best for last if you have more PC's in the house like laptops you can download SamsungAllshare to those computers as well and you can stream movies to those laptops also. I've had atleast 3 family members watching movies from my Desktop without no hiccups with a 5 GHZ router.

Note: The PS3 can also be used to watch movies that are on your PC with Samsung Allshare...xbox360 not sure.

Good luck everyone and if you have used Samsung Allshare let us know how it went or if you need help

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,345,725 times
Nothing like RTFM on a new smart TV huh? And if that fails there's always..........

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=how+to...msung+smart+tv

This thread belongs here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/consumer-electronics/

BTW, you could have saved yourself a lot of typing if you just posted the URL of Samsung Allshare (unless you are getting paid to post this commercial)....

http://www.samsung.com/global/allshare/pcsw/

Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,899,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
(Third way to stream content) There is a program called Samsung allshare it's still relatively new and everytime when I visit family and friends it amazes me that on ones taking advantage of this amazing program. Just google Samsung Allshare for Windows and download it and install it on your PC.
On my LG I can browse any shared folder on a networked computer, storage device etc.... I get thumbs for images and its similar to browsing on your computer, same thing with video but they do have to be in a common format. With audio I can select playlists, files and it's similar to any software player on a computer.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Nothing like RTFM on a new smart TV huh? And if that fails there's always..........

Let Me Google That

This thread belongs here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/consumer-electronics/

BTW, you could have saved yourself a lot of typing if you just posted the URL of Samsung Allshare (unless you are getting paid to post this commercial)....

Allshare Download Page
Does every reply you make have to be adversarial? Take a Valium or something.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 AM

24,497 posts, read 37,520,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's one of those things that come with old age. I wondered the same thing earlier on.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM

13,036 posts, read 15,137,530 times
Well in Plwhit's defense it does seem like a big commercial. Really, Tejano? You have been getting PM's on lots of issues with Smart TV's? Why? Do you work for Samsung or something? I don't see you post in a lot of TV threads, so not sure why the citizens of C-D would think you're a TV expert.
No offense intended, but if you want to share some knowledge you could just say that.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
So you didn't get the impression the OP has some type of ulterior motive especially after he/she/it closes their long winded post with this?

You didn't wonder who the OP is referring to with their "let us know" statement?

Quote:
Good luck everyone and if you have used Samsung Allshare let us know how it went or if you need help
If the above isn't confirmation that this thread is a commercial and plug for Samsung I'm sorry.....

I don't like people who mask their motives (and I KNOW you don't either).......

Not to mention I thought commercial posts no matter how artfully crafted were against the TOS......

Last edited by plwhit; 02-19-2013 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So you didn't get the impression the OP has some type of ulterior motive especially after he/she/it closes their long winded post with this?

You didn't wonder who the OP is referring to with their "let us know" statement?
This person has 290 posts here and doing a quick check they are for many different topics.

I always participate in topics about heat/coal where I certainly have a general business interest, is that wrong?

FYI as far as the PM's go I often get them myself from old posts I've made about coal from new members.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
This person has 290 posts here and doing a quick check they are for many different topics.

I always participate in topics about heat/coal where I certainly have a general business interest, is that wrong?

FYI as far as the PM's go I often get them myself from old posts I've made about coal from new members.
Read the TOS....

Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 PM

7,652 posts, read 16,315,863 times
I hate to break it to you, but most people are stupid about TVs and electronics in general. As long as they can get it to work at a minimal level, they're fine. Remember all those jokes about peoples' VCRs flashing "12:00"? Those people are still out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics