Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It all comes down to the same reason why some people keep battery powered radios. In case of emergency. Not to mention if you're out working in the yard and you accidently drop your cell phone or your iPod, it's going to cost you a lot more to replace than dropping that $1.99 Walkman.
I don't think people are worried about the cost as much as you think. Some might be. But most aren't. That's why more people are buying insurance for their smartphones than they are buying Walkmans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,161 times
I lived 22 years of my life in a backwoods town of 1200 people, nearest McD's 25 miles away, nearest walmart 22 miles away. I know that lifestyle, now I live in a fairly large neighborhood (1.2 million I think) and it's different. My next target living area is Colorado or Utah.

I never said people can't have what they want, I was just throwing perspective out there, in fact my original post would indicate that I am a proponent of variety in what people like or use.

I guess I should have never posted because it doesn't explicitly have to do with the OP. Everything I've posted is irrelevant anyway, don't think I can delete them.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Growing up, I used to be so jealous of my friends who sported Sony Walkmans not much bigger than a cassette case with, gasp, auto-reverse! I was too poor and had to make do years later with other brands' bulkier "Walkman".

Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,463,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Growing up, I used to be so jealous of my friends who sported Sony Walkmans not much bigger than a cassette case with, gasp, auto-reverse! I was too poor and had to make do years later with other brands' bulkier "Walkman".
Same here. I was jealous because the Walkmans seemed to sound so much better than the POS portable cassette players I used to listen to.

I also remember those days of making cassette copies of my brother's tapes, as well as recording songs off the radio, lol! I remembered that if I had to purchase cassette tapes, they had to be High Bias TDKs or Maxells, because you could definitely tell a huge difference in quality if you got any old blank tape.

My brother had copies of songs that he had recorded off of vinyl, and those copies sounded better than the cassette albums purchased from the store!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:00 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee
Ya I wouldnt mind finding a GOOD walkman somewhere! (One made in the 80s) The reception on AM is excellent on those things!!!!! (I love the AM band)

Only thing I dont like is: YOU CANNOT SELECT MONO WHEN LISTENING TO CASSETTES!! (And some on FM either) -- i prefer MONO and always have actually

Old 12-02-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya I wouldnt mind finding a GOOD walkman somewhere! (One made in the 80s) The reception on AM is excellent on those things!!!!! (I love the AM band)

Only thing I dont like is: YOU CANNOT SELECT MONO WHEN LISTENING TO CASSETTES!! (And some on FM either) -- i prefer MONO and always have actually
Man, I am glad you know what you like and I respect that your preferences are unwavering, but if I looked up "stuck in the past" in a phrase dictionary, I swear I'd see your face Every single facet of your life (that's been let shown online to us on this forum) is straight from pre 1978 haha

Old 12-02-2014, 02:41 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What if you're out somewhere where there's no cellphone or internet service?
What if you are out some place where there is no radio signal reception? Or even better .. some place with only Rush Limbaugh on the radio?

Old 12-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Smile *

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn
Man, I am glad you know what you like and I respect that your preferences are unwavering, but if I looked up "stuck in the past" in a phrase dictionary, I swear I'd see your face Every single facet of your life (that's been let shown online to us on this forum) is straight from pre 1978 haha
Ahhhh thank you for the kind words buddy

Old 12-02-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ahhhh thank you for the kind words buddy
Just further proof that there are truly all types of people with all different definitions of happiness

Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh your such a sweetheart!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics