Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

remember slides which were an alternative to photo prints? do they still sell either the slide projectors or hand held viewers? i remember my dad had an "Airequipt" slide projector and a handheld viewer. do such products still exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
They still exist, I have a GAF and Kodak projector and a couple viewers. I doubt they are manufactured anymore, but the used market must be available on eBay and such. I remember working with multi-projector setups back in the 1970s.

Probably the most interesting to see though was a 3-D dual 3.25 square projector that had been repaired and was used at a 3-D photography convention in Miami about ten years ago. It was big and finicky but gave nice bright 3-D. Originally it had been used by a major paving company to impress officials with a road-show travelogue that highlighted the changes in highways, especially through scenic areas. What made me realize that the era was over was when the presentation ended and the presenter repeated it with a digital projector. The digitized images had been color and gamma corrected, spotted, and looked fantastic - far better than the original material.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
there is a 35 mm slide viewer with a viewer to see negatives. but is it necessary to view the negatives? any reason to even hang on to the negatives? cant a store like Walgreens just enlarge the picture print if you ask them to?

harry chick pea,I see youre from Alabama. I visited B'ham 15 years ago and stayed in Hoover. Im from NY

Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Negatives are one level up in the duplication stack and have fewer flaws than the print. Slides are the original film that was in the camera that has been processed to make the negative then make the positive, then remove the traces of the negative. Kodachrome slides are the gold standard of 35mm color photography for various reasons.

I live in rural Alabama in part because it reminds me of Vermont in the 1950s, where I grew up. I managed a theatre in Hoover that was probably torn down before you lived there. Life can be interesting.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I am transferring my dad's slides to DVD as I want to get rid of his Kodak Carousel projector and 28 trays. They take up so much space. He had one of those viewers from '61 when he got the camera. It is amazing how technology has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics