Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times

Advertisements

If you're technically savvy, you could purchase a new ir sensor and replace it or, if you're not up to the challenge but feel the tv is worth saving, take it to a repair shop and let them do it.

Of course, there is also a third option.

That's what I finally did with mine. I bought a Samsung and my headache is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,342 times
My remote for my 47" (about 5 years old) stopped working, as in I could NOT turn my TV OFF as it is on a plant shelf. After 3 days of letting the TV on I went and bought a remote for the outlet (duh) that did NOTHING!! I finally got on this blog and tried the POWER SUPPLY fix (removed batteries and unplugged TV). FIXED EVERYTHING I can put the ladder away. Thank you ALL for your suggestions VERY helpful

Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,092 times
My vizio remote is disconnected from the box how do I reconnected back

Old 12-16-2014, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,587 times
Works Perfectly.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viziotvuser View Post
Had exact same issue - would not respond to buttons on TV or on Remote or to Netflix Visio support had me do the following and it worked perfectly. I have a Model E320i-A2
Can you please do a powercycle for me?

1- Power off TV (Skip if needed)
2- Unplug TV from outlet
3- Press and hold in the power button on the side of the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)
4- Release the power button
5- Plug in the TV
6- Power the TV back on
7- Remove the batteries from the remote. With the batteries removed, press every button once. When that has been done, put the batteries back in and try the remote.
Just wanted to say that you da man. I had my remote zonk out recently and when my universal remote wouldn't work either, I was afraid that the IR receiver on the TV was defective and needed replacement. I did what you said and she's back to normal now, so thanks!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
I have had some remote issues as well, and I think it does have something to do with the sensor on the TV. Even the DirecTV remote wouldn't turn the TV on the other day, but mostly, it's been an issue with the Vizio remote itself. Some of the issues have been user error I'll admit. Such as not exiting Neftlix correctly. You can't just hit the red button to shut it off...it will leave you with a blank screen.

This is something I'm concerned about moving forward, but for right now, it's not a huge issue.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Our Vizio remote is a weak PITA. Never have this issue with Samsung. Looks like a Vizio issue after reading these posts, and yes batteries swapped twice so that is not it.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,210 times
I have a vizio m60 and the remote is super unresponsive. I'm going to have to try the power cycling trick. I have a vizio e series 60 as well and that remote works perfectly on the M series with quick response. The only downside is the buttons don't light up on the E remote. That appears to be a good solution. Get an E series remote. Has anybody else tried this?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:36 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Well, I don't have a Vizio ( although considering buying one of their smart TVs), but our Toshiba and Samsung remotes are finicky and won't work on all buttons. I don't know if there are certain buttons that just wear out or get dirty or what. Both TVs were bought when everybody had to switch to HDTV. IOW, other remotes are not perfect.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:54 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Default Vizio Remote Stopped Working - Fixed TV myself

I purchased a Vizio 42" LCD TV model E3D420VX back in 2012, and last month the remote control stopped working. Of course my warranty period had expired.

When I first noticed my remote had an issue, it still worked some of the time. I did the usual stuff like changing the batteries, and trying several other Vizio remotes which I own. I tried cleaning the lower left corner of the TV where the IR Sensor is located. I searched the internet extensively, and tried all of the other proposed solutions, yet nothing worked.

I found this website, which shows what the IR Sensor looks like, and how they sometimes go bad.

The IR Sensor part number for my TV was 3637-0022-0189.

The Poorly Made Vizio IR Sensor

Then I found this YouTube video which shows how to replace the sensor

How To Replace IR Sensor

The only thing the above video didn't talk about was which specific screws needed to be removed to get the back off the TV.

To get the back panel off, I needed to remove all the screws around the outer edge of the back panel, plus the tiny screws next to the HDMI connectors, plus two small screws next to the RCA jacks, plus two other small screws on the right side of the back. And one last thing that needs to be removed is the large nut on the coax connector. Then the back panel comes off relatively easily, just like in the above YouTube video.

I ordered a replacement IR Sensor Repair Kit ( part UR1 for circuit board 3637-0022-0189) from eBay, and replaced this part myself using a soldering iron and desoldering tool to get the old UR1 off from the small circuit board. The UR1 (IR Sensor) is a very tiny black box with a bubble and 3 pins. You can view it on my above link. The replacement part cost me just under $10 including shipping.

Another easier option is to order a complete replacement IR Sensor circuit board for around $25 - 40, which has the UR1 part already attached to it. This is MUCH easier than resoldering a new part onto the old circuit board. I do not recommend the soldering option unless you feel you are capable of using soldering and desoldering tools.

After soldering on a new UR1 part to the IR Sensor circuit board, my Vizio remote began working again!

Hope my above solution helps someone else solve their own Vizio remote problems.

Last edited by RD5050; 01-24-2016 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics