Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times

Advertisements

I'm getting worried. My 1993 27" Toshiba is starting to show some thing white lines at the top till it warms up. I contacted a guy on Craigslist who said he woul look into it but he never got back to me.

I do not like the new flat screens.
The blacks are just too black.
The night scenes are too dark.
They don't last as long and create environmental hazardous waste.
The motion is a bit too much
The colors seem to me to be sort of....primary colors

I love my old tv. Is this like some people loving vinyl? I don't now . What am going to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
1993 is old style? That would be tube TV like the vinyl advocates. They say vacuum tubes produce a better sound. Old TVs hardly gives a better picture or sound; so no.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I have never heard anyone say any of this before.
If the blacks are too black you ADJUST THE CONTRAST.
If the night scenes are too dark ADJUST THE BRIGHTNESS.
Get an LCD and it will OUTLAST any TV you bought in 1993 (because the bulbs are replaceable).
Your 1993 TV is MUCH more of a "hazardous waste material" than any modern TV.
I don't get the "motion" comment.
If the colors are too primary for you (again this makes no sense to me... the colors are not different on a modern TV... maybe BETTER), you can adjust that through Color settings or Color temperature settings.
BUY A NEW TV!

There are only two complaints I've ever heard:
Don't like the rectangular shape.
Don't like that many Standard Def shows do not take up the whole screen.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have never heard anyone say any of this before.
Get an LCD and it will OUTLAST any TV you bought in 1993 (because the bulbs are replaceable).
Your 1993 TV is MUCH more of a "hazardous waste material" than any modern TV.
I don't get the "motion" comment.
If the colors are too primary for you (again this makes no sense to me... the colors are not different on a modern TV... maybe BETTER), you can adjust that through Color settings or Color temperature settings.
BUY A NEW TV!

There are only two complaints I've ever heard:
Don't like the rectangular shape.
I've heard most of this. People are so used to seeing TVs that are overly bright, beyond color saturated, and especially in the case of CRTs, the contrast is far out of whack because the TV is degrading. Most people, when they see a properly calibrated TV, don't like the picture at all. Some adjust to it once they see the benefits, but others just want the overly bright, overly colorful picture they're used to.

As for motion, that can be several issues. Improper setup for widescreen vs 4:3 broadcast can cause things moving across the picture to appear to accelerate towards the edges. I'm not a fan of any 3D functions, and I think many share my view. TVs are wider now, and that means people are looking farther to the side to watch. That can be a bit dizzying if the TV is much larger than a person is used to. Etc., etc.

I know that many of us don't like change, even if it's for the better. We also don't like having to learn anything new about daily activities we've done a certain way forever, such as changing the screen format to best accomodate different broadcasts.

I just set up my 1995 Mits 20" in my home office. It is terrible in every way compared to my two plasmas, and I see (pun intended) not a single thing about it I like. But it's paid for, and I don't use it that much, so it stays, at least until I find a crazy deal on a ~30" flat panel.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
I'm extremely happy with my Panny Plasma. I would never go back to my old tv. In fact, I gave those old tvs to Good Will.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
It's my understanding that plasma TVs have a very high contrast ratio built in as the LCDs have improved to approach that of plasma. My first Samsung lcd has a contrast ratio of 4000:1. You want your blacks to be black. But as you say, there's a setting to make the picture more vivid or something.

Quote:
On my 3D Vizio, there are adjustments for Picture Mode (such as "Vivid"), backlight, brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness. Heck, I have a Marantz AV surround sound rcvr that lets me set the crossovers for my 6 speakers separately or in the case of the fronts and rears, in pairs.

Quote:
Orly? I asked a TV repairman, who's now out of business, what would need to be done to replace the bulbs. He told me the parts may have to be ordered from Taiwan or some place, and then the labor and parts would run me the cost of a newer better brand new throw away set. He loved his old Sony tube Trinitrons, but hey, he was just an old school TV repairman trying to make a living. He used to charge folks 40+ dollars to dispose of a tube type TV and let you donate your broken flatscreen to him so he could try and dismantle them for parts.

Quote:
This is a pet peeve of mine... but can sometimes be solved by zooming in or selecting the most useful resolution for what you're watching. I don't understand why the widescreen format even on these newly shaped rectangular televisions. Aren't they already made to be less tall than wide like the movie theater? Why crop the pic again?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm getting worried. My 1993 27" Toshiba is starting to show some thing white lines at the top till it warms up. I contacted a guy on Craigslist who said he woul look into it but he never got back to me.

I do not like the new flat screens.
The blacks are just too black.
The night scenes are too dark.
They don't last as long and create environmental hazardous waste.
The motion is a bit too much
The colors seem to me to be sort of....primary colors

I love my old tv. Is this like some people loving vinyl? I don't now . What am going to do?
Hahahah. My dad would get a kick out of that comment. The colors seem "odd" on new sets because you're actually seeing what you are suppose to see. Old CRT sets mostly dealt with NTSC, which in broadcasting was often referred to as Never The Same Color. The NTSC color standard is basically a black and white signal with half resolution color band overlayed on top of the picture. While a technical marvel at the time, it is primitive by today's standards or even compared to PAL when it came out a decade later. No HUE control and poor color separation. At least newer CRT sets had digital comb filters that could someone improve the picture, but they're still no match for the modern digital encoding.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:48 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It's my understanding that plasma TVs have a very high contrast ratio built in as the LCDs have improved to approach that of plasma. My first Samsung lcd has a contrast ratio of 4000:1. You want your blacks to be black. But as you say, there's a setting to make the picture more vivid or something.

On my 3D Vizio, there are adjustments for Picture Mode (such as "Vivid"), backlight, brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness. Heck, I have a Marantz AV surround sound rcvr that lets me set the crossovers for my 6 speakers separately or in the case of the fronts and rears, in pairs.

Orly? I asked a TV repairman, who's now out of business, what would need to be done to replace the bulbs. He told me the parts may have to be ordered from Taiwan or some place, and then the labor and parts would run me the cost of a newer better brand new throw away set. He loved his old Sony tube Trinitrons, but hey, he was just an old school TV repairman trying to make a living. He used to charge folks 40+ dollars to dispose of a tube type TV and let you donate your broken flatscreen to him so he could try and dismantle them for parts.

This is a pet peeve of mine... but can sometimes be solved by zooming in or selecting the most useful resolution for what you're watching. I don't understand why the widescreen format even on these newly shaped rectangular televisions. Aren't they already made to be less tall than wide like the movie theater? Why crop the pic again?
There are numerous versions of "widescreen" besides the 16:9 ratio that modern TVs employ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
If you're talking about where a broadcast is both letterboxed(black bars top and bottom) and pillar boxed(black bars left and right) they come from different sources. That broadcast is going to be SD and flagged as 4:3, you're TV(or other device) will add the black bars left and right. The source video is 16:9 so to maintain aspect on 4:3 broadcast they add black bars top and bottom to the broadcast. If you look closely you can unusually see the black bars left and right are a little different shade than those top and bottom. .

Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,360 times
Try and find a Sony Trinitron on CL, it would be cheaper than the repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics