Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times

Advertisements

When mailing an electronic item (e-reader, cell phone, etc.), is it best to have the battery fully charged or not charged at all? I was charging the Nook battery in preparation for mailing it and a friend just told me it is best to ship such with battery uncharged.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
I don't think it makes much difference. I would do what is most convenient. You might also consider disconnecting the battery just in the odd change the unit activates and makes weird noises in shipment and causes some sort of security concern.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Angry Birds sounds coming out of a package in a shipment facility would make a good YouTube video.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I don't think it makes much difference. I would do what is most convenient. You might also consider disconnecting the battery just in the odd change the unit activates and makes weird noises in shipment and causes some sort of security concern.
Thank you.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
You might also consider disconnecting the battery just in the odd change the unit activates and makes weird noises in shipment and causes some sort of security concern.
Some shippers, like the post office, require this.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Thank you for letting me know about this. I have asked my friend because I have no idea how to do so. To tell the truth, I have looked it all over and I do not see anywhere to access a battery. I may have to take it to B&N for that job.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you for letting me know about this. I have asked my friend because I have no idea how to do so. To tell the truth, I have looked it all over and I do not see anywhere to access a battery. I may have to take it to B&N for that job.
It doesn't sound like the battery is meant to be removed and given that you can have a nook shipped from B&N, presumably with the battery already in it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:

Really? From USPS' website:

Quote:
Lithium battery shipping regulations The Postal Service is now allowing specific quantities of lithium batteries — when installed in the equipment they are intended to operate — to be sent to many international destinations, including Army Post Office (APO), Fleet Post Office (FPO) and Diplomatic Post Office (DPO) locations when permitted by the destination or host country.
The postal operators of Germany and Italy are not accepting packages containing lithium metal or lithium-ion batteries to German or Italian addresses. Postal employees will decline electronic items containing lithium batteries to addresses in those two countries. This does not apply to shipments to and from German or Italian APO, FPO or DPO locations.
Items that can be shipped include: cameras, video cameras, mobile/smart phones, Bluetooth headsets, laptop computers, shavers, portable DVD players, tablets, two-way radios, GPS devices and most other small electronic devices requiring lithium batteries. Items that can’t be shipped include lithium batteries not installed in the equipment they are intended to operate. In addition, when installed, they may not exceed the quantity or limits defined in the IMM or DMM.
Domestic shipments of packages containing lithium batteries, and electronic devices containing lithium batteries aren’t affected.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Really? From USPS' website:
Looks like that rule changed in 2012. ("The Postal Service is now allowing...")

I just remember spending many minutes standing in line and staring at the poster in the post office that discussed how batteries were required to be removed from electronic devices before shipping.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:58 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Quote:
Excellent suggestion, if the battery can be disconnected. Besides being necessary (for some shippers) it may reduce the incidence of other damage, data loss, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics