Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:28 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,596,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Why is your friend carrying it with him? I leave mine docked in the car at all times. It can also easily be tossed into the glove box. When driving, it charges by being plugged into the cig lighter outlet. I can also charge it at home, but rarely remove it from my car.
I dunno. I'd leave mine in the car too.

Quote:
Thanks, Kees for the info. This is the same model I have now (save for the lifetime map update feature), so it's older stock, I guess? There is a disclaimer on Amazon... not sure exactly what it means, unless offering updates will be phased out soon... meaning, it's a bit of a stretch telling us we have free lifetime maps?

"FREE lifetime map updates entitle you to receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website, for this specific Garmin product only until this product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. The updates you receive will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased."
Yeah I don't know if I would trust that disclaimer.

I did think about buying it... especially since I have a trip home next week to upstate NY... I'll be beating around Syracuse, then driving down to Philadelphia and may hit up NYC... then driving back up to NY so I can hit Toronto ON for the football game and then Niagara Falls.

A new GPS system would be nice... but it doesn't come with Canada maps... they are an extra $60. So... I'll just stick with my iPhone and Google Maps. As nice as a standalone GPS would be I just don't consider it a pressing need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:57 AM

16,511 posts, read 19,601,174 times
Quote:
Thank you for the link & your input, Pere. Just an FYI... that 4.3' screen is very small, if you're also in the market for one.
I use my phone. Just trying to help you.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,337,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I use my phone. Just trying to help you.
No worries. Thanks for your help, Peregrine.

BTW, do you use a lot of data on your monthly plan when using GPS or are you not as reliant on it as some, such as myself? Granted, there are 4 people on my Verizon plan (1 uses it for biz & the other is a 20-something with lightening fast fingers, so our plan gets used to the max)... but, we do get those 'soon to exceed your data plan' type msgs every month. I'm wondering how much it would cost if I did use daily GPS. Might be cheaper to buy a dedicated satellite.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:35 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,596,055 times
Quote:
No worries. Thanks for your help, Peregrine.

BTW, do you use a lot of data on your monthly plan when using GPS or are you not as reliant on it as some, such as myself? Granted, there are 4 people on my Verizon plan (1 uses it for biz & the other is a 20-something with lightening fast fingers, so our plan gets used to the max)... but, we do get those 'soon to exceed your data plan' type msgs every month. I'm wondering how much it would cost if I did use daily GPS. Might be cheaper to buy a dedicated satellite.
I've never used 2GB in any month with Verizon including all the years I was on an unlimited plan. I use my phone Google Maps GPS daily running around Seattle.

You should worry about approaching your data limit if you are downloading Youtube videos to your phone... GPS no.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM

335 posts, read 1,309,877 times
I use either my cell phone or my tablet if I want a bigger display.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:45 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,984,049 times
I have a 3 or 4 year old Garmin. I will probably do one update. The smartphone capacity for GPS is great - but I don't use a smartphone.

Here is what I have to add - the technology of these items is moving so rapidly that updates don't always make sense. I will do one update on mine, only because then I do not have to learn something new, nor change the way I do anything. Newer units continually have greater functionality for less cost. On both GPS and smartphones. I don't think this trend will change.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 AM

16,511 posts, read 19,601,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I've never used 2GB in any month with Verizon including all the years I was on an unlimited plan. I use my phone Google Maps GPS daily running around Seattle.

You should worry about approaching your data limit if you are downloading Youtube videos to your phone... GPS no.
+1

I play a game with a Data Connection and use GPS (not a ton) and I might have hit 2GB once??? And that was more likely from streaming music.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,483,179 times
hi
I moved interstate & found having a 5" garmin and an iPhone
Very helpful. Google maps are handy for getting a lay of the land
In terms of planning stops along one trip the night before/morning
You are out.
I like (51 year old eyes) the larger screen on the GPS. Posters here
Are correct RE: lifetime. The lifetime of the GPS is whatever the company
Says it is. I call in to update; it's easier when they lock your position
In w/their satellite. I think that's it works.

GPS screen is clear & dedicated. You aren't tempted to multitask @
A red light Also, my iPhone 4 is so slow after Apple updates from
Mid sept. Apple won't admit this but they are helping us but iPhone
Good luck. Depends on how you like your old garmin. I would
Be tempted to try a newer GPS. Theoretically, the updates should be
Fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics