Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times

Advertisements

What I was trying to say is that there are free ways to get music onto your Ipod, like from your own CD collection and other download sites. I can't imagine paying .99 per song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I went online and downloaded the Itunes software. Having problems with my anti-virus software or something though - won't connect to store for some reason. Oh, well. I'll figure it out.
I had no idea you could put CD's you own in there too. That's very cool. I love technology! I'm still so happy I can't stand it with my Toshiba laptop that I can sit outside and play poker via wireless.
More than likely you have to disable anti-virus software before installing most programs in your computer, or for downloading software updates.

You can use the iTunes program in your computer to "import" the songs from your CD's. When you do that, all the songs will be stored in your computer (in iTunes). I don't know if you can burn music CD's from downloaded songs from the Itunes' Store, but you can use iTunes to burn CD's of your songs from your CD's. Keep in mind that before you decide to burn CD's with your songs you must create "Playlists" within iTunes. A playlist can have around 16 or more songs to fit in a 700MB CD. If you have put too many songs in a playlist, then iTunes will tell you so when you try to burn a CD. At that point you can always remove a song at a time until iTunes burns the CD. To create a playlist, look in the menu for "Create A New Playlist." When you select this option, an "untitled" folder appears at the bottom of the playlists. Just rename the folder to your liking. After this step, switch to "Music" on the iTunes window, and all your songs will be there. You can play whichever song you may want to add to the new Playlist, and if you like the song, just drag it to the new Playlist folder. Keep on dragging the songs you want, from the Music folder to the new Playlist until you have around 16 songs. Now select "Burn CD," insert a blank CD in the computer's CD burner when prompted. After awhile you will have a music CD of your favorite songs. It's that easy.

If you look at the Crutchfield catalog, you will notice that most new automobile receivers (radios) are iPod capable. These new radios come with a jack to where you can connect a cable that costs $35.00. This cable is then connected to the iPod. The radio keeps the iPod charged through the cable, and also you can completely control the iPod with the radio's controls. The songs' titles, playlists, artists' names, etc., are displayed on the radio's screen.

New home receivers are also iPod capable. For these you have to buy an optional iPod docking station ($99.00). You plug the station into the receiver, and dock the iPod on the docking station. The receiver keeps the iPod charged, and most control the iPod just like automobile receivers.

If you don't have such a receiver in your car, then you can buy a good quality FM transmitter. A good one costs around $40.00, and these work much better than cheap ones. You plug the FM transmitter in the cigarette lighter, and the other end into the iPod. Depending on the iPod's size (2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 80GB, etc.), you should be able to store enough songs in it to play a week or longer worth of songs. You can drive non stop across the US before you run out of songs

If you don't have expensive receivers at home, you can always go cheap and buy a Sony, Panasonic, etc., boom box with an iPod docking station. There are out there, but you have to look around. With such a boom box you may not be able to fully control the iPod, but you can use the "wheel" in the iPod to change from playlist to playlist, and then "PLAY" whichever songs you want to hear.

I am not into this sort of thing, but you can have a whole bunch of photos in your iPod. You can download movies and watch them too, but the screen is small for this sort of thing. Kids go "goo...goo" over it, though.

The most expensive ones can work wireless and such, and the iPhone is both a telephone and an iPod in one unit, plus Internet/e-mail capabilities is that's what rocks your boat

If you look at the accessories for the iPod at B&H Photo And Video, from speakers to stereo systems designed for the iPod, you just won't believe the huge amount of options. The sky is the limit (or your wallet).

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-28-2007 at 11:28 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
What I was trying to say is that there are free ways to get music onto your Ipod, like from your own CD collection and other download sites. I can't imagine paying .99 per song.
True.It can be expensive.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:45 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
Put you CD collection into the computer, an external hard drive is good for this. 160 gig minimum as you will add to it over theyears. My folder is about 87 gigs.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:59 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
My son wants to buy an Ipod this weekend. Is it worth it to wait for bargains online? What sites?

Our public library has a great CD collection, so he will be getting lots of his Ipod music for free.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
My son wants to buy an Ipod this weekend. Is it worth it to wait for bargains online? What sites?

Our public library has a great CD collection, so he will be getting lots of his Ipod music for free.
I believe Apple sets the price, and the iPod is such a hot item that the only way you get deals are from banks and such as a promotional deal if you open an account. That's only one example, since there are numerous ways companies are attracting customers with iPod deals.

The smallest and cheapest iPod is the Shuffle, and costs under $100.00. These units would be better for little kids who can easily brake them or lose them. A better idea would be a 2GB through 8GB iPod Nano. The 2GB one costs $149.00, and the larger $199.00. I like the 8GB one, but my wife is very happy with the 2GB iPod Nano. The 8GB iPod Nano saves the music to memory instead of a hard drive, which is the way all iPods will be made in the near future. My 22-year old son is getting an classic 80GB iPod for Christmas. That's what he has been dreaming of for awhile, and the cost is $249.00. This one uses a hard drive. There should be classic iPod's with smaller than 80GB drives, too. There also is the iPod Touch (I believe that's the name). This one is an iPod that looks like the iPhone, but it's not a cell phone. You can listen to music, check your e-mail, or surf the net with it.

I have no idea why kids would like to surf the net on a tiny screen, but that's me I guess.

Check the Apple Store online to get an idea of what the prices are, and then see if some local merchants have deals coming, but more than likely the price will be the same. make sure that you check soon, because the shelves usually run out of iPod's by Christmas. At least that's what has been happening in the past three or four years. And don't forget to download and install iTunes in your computer. You will need it as soon as you kid opens the package, since he will be headed for the computer to use and charge his iPod.

Be careful not to disconnect the iPod from your computer until you have "ejected" it with iTunes. Whenever the iPod is connected, iTunes is controlling it just like a external hard drive connected to your computer. You must first eject the hard drive before unplugging it. Also, iTunes will take you through the steps to register the iPod as soon as you connect it to the computer. You can set how you want the music to be loaded to the iPod, either automatically, or manually. I always select "manually," because hat way I just manually select the songs I want in the iPod, leaving in the computer that ones I don't. Most people just set it to auto.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-01-2007 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 03:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
I had a client ask me to install RAM in her computer. iTunes was loading slow and a phone tech recommended it.

I cannot remember how many songs iTunes had, but it said would last 35.2 years! I know they probably wouldn't (or maybe ithey would) fit on her iPod, but Holy Cow! Said she paid $360 for it. I don't know when she bought it.

She had a 160GB iPod and showed me a movie (Chicago). The resolution on the screen was amazing!

I don't own an ipod - can't figure out when I'd use it. Same with PDAs. My wife has, and uses, both. I still write notes on paper or use a voice recorder.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Put you CD collection into the computer, an external hard drive is good for this. 160 gig minimum as you will add to it over theyears. My folder is about 87 gigs.
Good point. The client I mentioned earlier had an external drive so her music was on the main drive and the external. You don't want to lose all that music because of a drive crash!

Old 12-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Good point. The client I mentioned earlier had an external drive so her music was on the main drive and the external. You don't want to lose all that music because of a drive crash!
One thing for sure, with that much music it's best not to set the iPod to load the music into it automatically

Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up Poker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I went online and downloaded the Itunes software. Having problems with my anti-virus software or something though - won't connect to store for some reason. Oh, well. I'll figure it out.
I had no idea you could put CD's you own in there too. That's very cool. I love technology! I'm still so happy I can't stand it with my Toshiba laptop that I can sit outside and play poker via wireless.
If you haven't found them yet. Two great sites where you can win $$ and prizes without giving a CC#. The advertisers pay for the wins. Requires Internet Explorer, won't work with Firefox. Kenny Rogers and National League Of Poker

The Gambler Poker Club Poker Home (http://poker.thegamblermobile.com/CheckPokerServersPage,$Form_0.sdhtml - broken link)

NLOP - THE NATIONAL LEAGUE OF POKER - ALWAYS FREE POKER, WIN CASH & PRIZES

See ya' there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics