Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM

166 posts, read 239,643 times

Advertisements

You need a head cleaning,it does not matter how new it is!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,198,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceox1962 View Post
If you read the previous posts, this was already mentioned.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:30 AM

4,162 posts, read 4,019,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceox1962 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm having a similar problem like the OP. I have a month old Toshiba VCR/DVD combo and it recently started eating tapes. It now eats the tapes as soon as they are inserted into the machine. I inserted a cleaning tape and it ate that too. It's under warranty but it's a ridiculous warranty. To get warranty service they force you to pay for a new machine at list price, then return the defective one and supposedly they will process a credit. I paid $87 for the unit and they want to charge me another $143 for a replacement unit and then hope they process a credit without a problem.

Does anyone know if this sort of problem has any chance of being user fixable? I'm not versed in how VCRs work but I've opened up one before.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:29 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,597,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm having a similar problem like the OP. I have a month old Toshiba VCR/DVD combo and it recently started eating tapes. It now eats the tapes as soon as they are inserted into the machine. I inserted a cleaning tape and it ate that too. It's under warranty but it's a ridiculous warranty. To get warranty service they force you to pay for a new machine at list price, then return the defective one and supposedly they will process a credit. I paid $87 for the unit and they want to charge me another $143 for a replacement unit and then hope they process a credit without a problem.
Toshiba warranties are pretty bad across all electronics. The unit is most likely an express exchange item and the $143 is what they will charge you if they don't get your old machine returned to them within 10 business days. Also don't forget that you get the honor of paying for shipping in one of the directions for which amounts to around $30. If you've run the cleaning tape already and its having problems doing its job, then your video tape collection is leaving so much dirt on the heads that it will require to be taken apart to clean. Following the included link voids your warranty:

How to Manually Clean Your VCR Heads | Hardware Secrets

Old 09-14-2014, 11:44 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,014,546 times
Quote:

Does anyone know if this sort of problem has any chance of being user fixable? I'm not versed in how VCRs work but I've opened up one before.

They are charging you that much because they want to discourage you from fixing these old dinosaurs.
Your best/cheapest bet is to buy a replacement machine at your local thrift shop; there should be plenty of options there. Get a couple of them just in case.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If you've run the cleaning tape already and its having problems doing its job, then your video tape collection is leaving so much dirt on the heads that it will require to be taken apart to clean.
Thanks for the reply but it can't be dirty tape heads. The machine is a month old and I've only used it a few times with brand new or nearly brand new tapes. I tried the cleaning tape on the slim chance the machine had dirt from the factory. When a VHS cassette is inserted, whatever parts start to engage it to play are not working properly. The machine turns off and ejects the cassette with tape dangling out of it.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
They are charging you that much because they want to discourage you from fixing these old dinosaurs.
Your best/cheapest bet is to buy a replacement machine at your local thrift shop; there should be plenty of options there. Get a couple of them just in case.
The old machines seemed to be of higher quality. My last one worked fine for 15 years and this one broke in one month. In fact someone on eBay had my old model in unused condition on sale for $400!

Old 09-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but it can't be dirty tape heads. The machine is a month old and I've only used it a few times with brand new or nearly brand new tapes. I tried the cleaning tape on the slim chance the machine had dirt from the factory. When a VHS cassette is inserted, whatever parts start to engage it to play are not working properly. The machine turns off and ejects the cassette with tape dangling out of it.
Its a get what you pay for market. I have the following one in use since 2009 w/o an issue:

Amazon.com: Magnavox ZV427MG9 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo, HDMI 1080p Up-Conversion, No Tuner: Electronics

Old 09-14-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Its a get what you pay for market. I have the following one in use since 2009 w/o an issue:

Amazon.com: Magnavox ZV427MG9 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo, HDMI 1080p Up-Conversion, No Tuner: Electronics
I'm looking at a model that is very similar to the above, if not the same. It's a Funai brand which looks like also makes Magnavox, and also has a very similar model number.

FUNAI ZV427FX4 Funai DVD Recorder/VCR Combo ZV427FX4 B&H Photo

Old 09-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at a model that is very similar to the above, if not the same. It's a Funai brand which looks like also makes Magnavox, and also has a very similar model number.

FUNAI ZV427FX4 Funai DVD Recorder/VCR Combo ZV427FX4 B&H Photo

Same company.

MAGNAVOX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics