Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,551 times

Advertisements

I live in Pasadena an area served by Charter Communications. So I just found out that if the Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal (that is currently pending approval) is approved, not only will Time Warner Cable customers will become Comcast, but also Charter customers as well due to a agreement between Comcast and Charter to divest some TWC customers, and swap customers in certain territories so that both companies have a major presence in a geographical area.

Comcast, Charter execute blockbuster customer swap

I'm a bit concerned because although Charter may not be the best cable provider,(and I've had my share of problem with them in the past) they are not so bad when you compare them with Comcast. Comcast is notorious for their strictly enforced internet caps, and their overages if you go exceed your internet usage, they purposely slow down your Netflix streaming regardless on what internet speed you're subscribed to.

Some of the "pros" if the deal goes through is that we will finally have better equipment. The Charter cable boxes are very bulky and ugly, and the UI is very outdated and old. At least the Comcast has nice and more modern Cable boxes, and other equipment too.

I personally hope that this deal doesn't get approved because it will make Comcast a very big and dominant company (than it already is). What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Can't say anything about Comcast internet service as I don't have internet at home. But don't get too excited over Comcast's newer equipment. The new X1 DVRs are riddled with bugs. Here's a link to their message boards where customers have posted their concerns/opinions/problems.

I have 2 DVRs that are not X1. They have their issues from time to time, but I'm avoiding the "upgrade" to X1 like the plague. Comcast's customer service is useless when troubleshooting tv problems that can't be solved with a reboot to the signal. If they can't fix your problem with a reboot, they'll want to send out a technician. There is no true customer service troubleshooting over the phone.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:04 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTechie View Post
Comcast is notorious for their strictly enforced internet caps, and their overages if you go exceed your internet usage, they purposely slow down your Netflix streaming regardless on what internet speed you're subscribed to.
I've had them for decades. They have never enforced the internet cap in my experience. We're on the 105 plan and some days we've caught them ratcheting back into the 70's (usually happens when too many computers are running). So we call into their 1800# and have a reset done and back we go to where we pay to be within a few minutes. Just keep a speed test link on your computer and you'll be fine. As to Netflix, they consider them competition to their On Demand. So if you have an older Netflix box you may have to replace it. But keep in mind that Netflix buffers what you are watching. So if Comcast slows down the signal you'll only notice it in the few first few minutes. But Netflix has gotten revenge on Comcast by allowing three units in the same IP zone (same cable modem) to play different downloads at the same time. Also Netflix now allows up to six units to be activated in their system.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
Well, I have Comcast by choice as I have had many other providers and prefer Comcast-even though they have a huge monopoly in this area. Now I find out that with this merger we will NOT have Comcast in this area. (I think it will be Charter, but not sure). So I am very leery. Our Senator, Al Franken, has communicated with many people in the industry, including Netflix, and Netflix is concerned, as are many, that this will result in even more of a monopoly and price increases and underhanded price fixing, etc. I saw the letter the head of Netflix sent to Mr. Franken. What we need are MORE providers, not fewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics