Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times

Advertisements

Which one is better and why??
price about the same,
the kids at the store say buy a playstation 3 and use it for blue ray, I don't play games so why would I do that?
I think this is the old Beta vs VHS all over again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I would love to buy one, but there's no way I'm going to do so right now with so much in the air. You are right- it's just like VHS or Beta and you know who loses? The consumer!

If you're mad about this blame Sony- they insist on doing this time and time again. Proprietary bullcrap is what it is.

Sony tried to come out with the minidisc - FAILURE
Sony cameras still use memorysticks instead of SD cards like everyone else, and now they insist on pulling the same old crap with the Blueray.

I sure hope they lose - but until i know I won't buy either one.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:26 PM

93 posts, read 326,055 times
HD-DVD. The players already cost less than half (sometimes less than 1/4) of the blu-ray players. Analysts like to point out that the number of PS3's out there means there are lots of people with blu-ray players, but 40% of ps3 owners don't even *realize* it'll play blu-ray - which says a lot about how much they *care*. The vast majority of ps3 owners bought them for games and don't give a crap about blu-ray or hd-dvd.

With all that said, I was almost convinced blu-ray was going to win. They had more studios, PS3, and were selling more movies ... but now HD-DVD got a huge infusion of players distributed with the $99 thanksgiving sales, HD-DVD prices are now usually lower than blu-ray, Paramount switched to hd-dvd exclusively (meaning the studios are now 50.50), hd-dvds are less expensive to produce...

When it all comes down to it, consumers are afraid to invest until there is a clear winner, and there won't be a clear winner until a bunch of consumers invest. The only thing that's going to break this cycle is price - and HD-DVD is WAAAAY ahead on that one.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:14 PM

130 posts, read 524,545 times
i dont have either, but im a gamer, soo for me "when" the time comes i will get the ps3. i cant imagine other gamers getting the hd-dvd to watch hd-dvd movies, then buying a ps3 to play blue ray games? therefore, i see the ps3 having an advantage in the market because of ppl like me

Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Blu-Ray, that is my choice... but, have not bought either system, and, most likely won't - at least not until some time gives the SOB companies behind this mess a clearer advantage to one of the formats. Like how the Blu-Ray format has so much more space on the disc, has a supposedly tougher surface, and will last longer - sounds like something better to invest in for a future format. However, they need to get the price more palatable for the masses - otherwise HD will win; cause at the end of the day, too often, the dollar speaks louder than quality...

Old 01-16-2008, 01:54 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
I forget which company makes it, but there is a player out there that will play BOTH Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. I think this is the only player of it's kind out there. depending on the price, or whether a clear cut winner in the format war will ever be decided, this may be the best choice

-personal side note: going off on what aragx6 said, I was one of the people suckered into buying one of those ATRAC CD players ("hey, put 500 songs onto ONE CD!!!!" sounded awesome, especially for party mixes. this was before iPods became really popular) only to realize that, not only could I ONLY play the burned ATRAC CDs on other players compatible w/ the ATRAC format, but that Sony had failed, as far as I know, to even make anything else that took the ATRAC format! so I had tons of ATRAC CDs that could only be played on my portable CD player and were basically useless. that incident, on top of the infamous DRM incident has severely soured me on Sony and has me rooting for them to LOSE this format war

Old 01-16-2008, 02:26 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
oops, menat to edit, but anyways...

LG has a combo player that plays both formats and Samsung will come out with a player in Feb. that will play both as well. these things are EXPENSIVE!!! ($800 on Amazon), so I guess I'll just stick w/ my plain old, lo-def DVDs until someone makes up their frickking mind about which format to use, or these combo players become cheaper (at least down to $600, but preferably under $500).

I'm sure this format war is turning off a lot of people from buying either format.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,446 times
Having been burnt by the electronics industry in the past with formats that did not last, I am holding off buying either format at this time. To have two formats is just insane, and for me to choose one means there is a 50/50 chance that I will end up with a big paperweight in a year or two, and dozens of expensive movies on a discontinued format. I am tired of buying the same movie over and over again anyway.

I still have my RCA CED format movie discs, and hundreds of Laser Discs as well. Then we have the Sony BETA tapes...

From a sales viewpoint, BluRay is outselling HD format by three to one. But this may be due to the fact that the former has more studios issuing discs than the latter.

It is also possible that by the time this format war is settled,, both the Toshiba and Sony sides will find themselves completely left behind by streaming digital downloads. Of course, that too would take cooperation instead of competition, and I think its future is cloudy as well.

Competition is not always best for the consumer, is it!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Check out the following for a good rompous laugh...

Format War: The Downfall of HD DVD, Now Available on Blu-ray

Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM

395 posts, read 1,363,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Which one is better and why??
price about the same,
the kids at the store say buy a playstation 3 and use it for blue ray, I don't play games so why would I do that?
I think this is the old Beta vs VHS all over again...
Well a while back my fiance and I bought a PS3 thinking it would be awesome..we were wrongThere is really no good games for it...and it is a heck of a lot cheaper then buying a blu-ray player so we thought well at least it has a bluray player in it...so thats what we use it for..lol
never used hd-dvd..but I can tell you that the blu-ray experience is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics