Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times

Advertisements

I purchased a Vizio E480i-B2 'smart' TV a week ago. But the TV is only connected to an OTA antenna and DISH. While using antenna viewing, date/time is not correct most of the time. It keeps reverting to January, 1 1970 midnight, even while on the same channel.
Vizio tech support tells me that because the TV is not connected to the internet, I shouldn't expect the correct date/time, that the TV was designed for internet app use.
Wrong date/time occurs on all channels, but can get correct date/time if I turn off TV and back on.
I maintain that there is a problem with the TV date/time chip and correct date/time should be shown no matter where it is coming from and who is sending it. [all programing info is correct in the info pop up box] Anyone know who sends the date/time in a local viewing area? I want to find out if it's their problem or the TV and will the TV be going back to Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:50 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
It used to be the public television channels. PBS: Timekeeper No More - Businessweek That explains the default 1970 date. MS and operating chips generally default to 1980. You might not have problems if you disconnected the OTA antenna, or you could call the station and see if it even HAS the capability to send out time signals anymore. If the frequency changed from one of the low channels, like channel 5, into the UHF band on the last go-around, the required equipment may be gone.

Vizio should have put in a fall-back time scheme in the firmware.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
There is an entity in the Tampa area sending date/time because my antenna and the program in the TV is receiving/accepting it. The problem is that it is not correct a lot of the time. TV menu/system/date-time is auto set. Enter eastern time zone/zip code and date/time appears. There is no manual enter or re-set. It self corrects if TV is turned off and then back on.
I've written to 3 channels and have not received a reply. Three other channels do not accept e-mail unless you use facebook or allow adobe flash. I'll try a few more.
I'm just trying to determine if the problem is with the sender or the TV. [There is no problem with info received from DISH] I use antenna because I get 13 primary channels in HD plus 20 sub-channels that DISH doesn't carry [+ 11 Spanish] So when I change channels, I expect to see the correct time. [and I don't have a problem with the 19" Vizio TV on the same antenna getting correct date/time]

Old 10-28-2014, 06:10 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Welcome to Vizio ownership. Nice screen, crappy customer service, crappy TV. Went to the dump in under two years.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 AM

620 posts, read 1,751,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I purchased a Vizio E480i-B2 'smart' TV a week ago. I want to find out if it's their problem or the TV and will the TV be going back to Walmart.
Either way, you should just return it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics