U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 01:03 PM

28,717 posts, read 42,573,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This little rant, although sparked by Scooby Snacks comment is aimed at all you older people who think you just can't learn this new stuff. I mean no offense. You CAN learn this stuff. It's NOT hard. You'll be better off for it in so many ways, but especially mentally. You may not be able to MAKE an app... but trust me... you can learn to use one. Please do...
We've been sharing ideas and information here for a few years.

I'm one of them. 70 years old and I've worked with computers since the IBM PC-1. I have found that my ability to comprehend things, to follow insane directions written by someone with English as a 5th language, to have the patience to put up with the idiocy of unnecessarily complex systems, has waned.

**** gets hard when you're older. Not by choice. And it's not like I sit around staring at walls all day. I work at least one crossword every day. Sometimes 4 or 5 thanks to the NYT having them online. I wired our 20 year old house with cat5. I have removed old wall outlets and replaced them throughout. I've added remote fans to our ceiling lights. I put up cabinets in the garage and built a workbench out of "parts" left behind by the previous owner. I (we, actually) play video games. Right now we are playing Horizon Zero Dawn and AC Origins. If you play Rummikub I'll challenge you to a game. Wanna play Pictionary, Password, Bridge?

But the people who create these "improved" methods of doing things are like the ones who write user manuals. They work with the products so they know them intimately. As a result they have a tendency to either skip important steps or leave out important information. I see it all the time. I'll wager there is little beta testing done, and if there is "old folks" aren't in that group. Then there are the ones that haven't even used the product and write a manual based on what others that have tell them.

When I was writing company manuals for AuotCAD and DOS back in the day I used a method I read about a long time ago. Write at the 5th grade level. I always had 2 or three users go over them with a red pen in hand, rewrote and gave them back with a red pen. Sometimes it would go through 5 or 6 cycles before it was ready for everyone.

It's obvious that is not true for so many products today.

With all that said I agree with your sentiment. I know so many people who won't learn this stuff. Most tell me it's not important enough to them. Some, I suspect, can't. I say this because during conversations they wander or lose the continuity of what is being talked about. One guy told me he'd rather be "Playing golf than figure out some damn piece of equipment with a manual written by an illiterate person in China."

The closer to death we are the more we focus on what we want to do and less on things that are deemed to be not so. For some even that is difficult. I lost two brothers to Alzheimer's. Both at 82. One of them used to call me for help with his computer. For a while I couldn't figure out what was going on with him. He'd ask the same question in multiple conversations. Sometimes in the same conversation. He had removed the cables from the back of the computer at some point and could not put them back. A neighbor helped him, but then he couldn't figure out how to get into Windows. He was a successful engineer who had worked for Coors and the Smithsonian. All lost to a disease.

How to end this ramble? I have no idea. It is what it is, I suppose. Ask me in 12 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 12:01 PM

13,041 posts, read 15,142,255 times
Forget what? Streaming services? Been strictly streaming for 2 years now saving a ton of money and not lagging.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics