Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Re-reading my post:
"4K is a rip off and a total waste of money."
Ok, that was harsh. It's not a RIP OFF, but it's simply not worth the premium you pay today. If 4K/UHD (and yes, OP, it IS the same thing) were only $200 more? I'd tell people to get them...
I think there are TVs out there that are 4K ready, or 4K compatible, but the feature is not a main feature of the TV (if that makes any sense.) From what I have read, the biggest knock on true 4K televisions, was it's introducing of artifacts into the picture when trying to up-convert content. If this is true (I haven't seen this with my own eyes, so I'm just going by what I've read), then to me, it wouldn't make sense having to put up with watching poorly up-converted HD movies when they already look brilliant on the present technology.

So, I'd say, if having a 4K compatible TV is very important to someone, then as long as it's 70" or bigger. You're not going to tell a difference if it's a 50" TV and you're more than likely sitting 9 feet away from it. Actually, at that point, you're not going to tell much of a difference between 720p and 1080p at that distance and size of TV.

Which goes into the other reason why I would hold off. Broadcast television that broadcasts in HD, only broadcast in 1080i; which is equivalent more to 720p than 1080p. So, adding more pixels isn't going to make a difference with the broadcasts. What makes a difference is all the other video processing the TV comes with, such as the refresh rate (which is usually the cinema motion thing - great for sports, weird on TV shows and movies.)

Honestly, the better approach to improving HDTVs would be to improve on the ability to make SD content, such as DVDs and SD channels, look better. And to also continue improving on the technologies of completely eliminating motion blur when watching sports or fast moving movies, without making the movies and TV shows look weird. And also, have HD broadcast in true 1080p, with sports and TV shows all shot in true 1080p. Let that part catch up first.

Having said all of that, as long as there are first adopters willing to spend the mega bucks on the latest and greatest, then it will continue to help push down the cost of the technology that is most useful today - making it better on everyone else! So, maybe we should be encouraging as many people as possible to buy 4K televisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
What is your bandwidth used to consume UHD content from Amazon/Netflix? Curious as it says it needs 25 MB/s downstream for non-jitter viewing.
I think my bandwith is about 50mbs. Anyway, I've never noticed any kind of jitter problem.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I've been looking at upgrading my HD TV to a 4K TV (and recently I learned that UHD and 4K are *not* the same thing). I love the picture quality, however, as with any new tech., there doesn't seem to be any UHD/4K media available (i.e., for sale or rental through say RedBox). I know Amazon and Netflix are now offering UHD content *but* they are recommending a minimum 25 MB/s downlink internet connection (wow) to stream it properly. So it seems that the hardware is there and the media now needs to catch up (as it did with 1080p HD).

I've been reading that the movies and TV media won't really be available until *late* 2015. I'm thinking it's not worth purchasing a UHD/4K TV now as there's not enough content to take advantage of it and in a year when it is available the price point will be much cheaper and the tech would have evolved even more.

Thoughts?
By time there's enough content to justify the cost of 4K, the 4k phenomena will have advanced to more K. I may cost you more now, but at least it will be paid for by time you need to upgrade.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:31 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
8K and 10K are in the works now. I forsee in the near future 4K prices dropping rapidly like the plasmas did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics