Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:58 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,502,604 times

Advertisements

Besides a home and transportation the next biggest thing man sinks money into is home entertainment electronics. But why. The two previous items I mentioned have a purpose and actual benefit in mans life. What then is the point of buying electronic entertainment gadgets(phones being the only exception). What is the point of buying more than one tv or movie in a decade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 02:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times
It stopped working

Old 04-12-2015, 02:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times
Since electronic entertainment is extremely affordable, it is easy to purchase for many people.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:12 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,502,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Since electronic entertainment is extremely affordable, it is easy to purchase for many people.
I know but tech changes so often. What's the point of buying the newest Samsung tv when a newer better one is just going to come out in a years time anyway.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,146 posts, read 80,240,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Besides a home and transportation the next biggest thing man sinks money into is home entertainment electronics. But why. The two previous items I mentioned have a purpose and actual benefit in mans life. What then is the point of buying electronic entertainment gadgets(phones being the only exception). What is the point of buying more than one tv or movie in a decade?
I cannot agree with this, have you any data to support it? I would say that home appliances are far more costly. Our 50" TV was only $499, smaller ones about half that. The Ipad was $600+, and the laptop I'm on now was just $299. We recently bought a $2,800 refrigerator, washer and dryer on sale totaled $1,400, even the dishwasher was $700. Then there's furniture, and most if us spend more on vacations than home electronics, such as our recent trip to Maui that we considered a bargain but was about $3,000.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times
Quote:
I know but tech changes so often. What's the point of buying the newest Samsung tv when a newer better one is just going to come out in a years time anyway.
If we all used that logic everyone would still have crt TVs and use an abacus

Old 04-12-2015, 03:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times
Quote:
The Δ from year to year is too small to upgrade every year. Get what's available now and enjoy it until it's no longer providing entertainment value to you. With TVs, for example, it's likely that you can go 5-10 years without purchasing a new one. Think about your first HDTV in the late 90s. You probably didn't replace it until the mid 2000s when they were flat. Today, you're likely to buy a 4k TV. You weren't replacing your TV every year. Only when there were significant advancements.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,022,960 times
Quote:
Your posts here are just as silly as your posts in Automotive. Your usual style - write something without any data to show that what you said is factual or believable.

Women don't typically buy much in the way of electronics. They buy shoes and purses - sometimes just as expensive as a large screen TV. And most audio/video hobbyists don't replace TVs until a meaningful advancement is available. That's not every year.

Some people spend many thousands per year on clothing. One man's suit can easily cost more than $1000. Good shoes cost $250 or more. One pair of top quality cowboy boots can cost $1000.

What about sporting goods? Golf clubs? Tennis rackets? Scuba gear? Watch? An Omega costs $3000. Rolex?

What about tools? I know many men that have $20,000 of tools.

What about travel? Know how much a ski trip costs?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,986,896 times
Quote:
Who spends as much money as you describe as frequently as you describe? I haven't paid over US$100 for a single device since I purchased my TV (Vizio VX37L) in 2007, and that was only $550 or so. The rest of the stuff I have is inexpensive (refurbs, used devices, or new devices that were 2-3 years out of date).

I think you overestimate the typical level of electronics consumption.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:34 AM

16,464 posts, read 19,494,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The Δ from year to year is too small to upgrade every year. Get what's available now and enjoy it until it's no longer providing entertainment value to you. With TVs, for example, it's likely that you can go 5-10 years without purchasing a new one. Think about your first HDTV in the late 90s. You probably didn't replace it until the mid 2000s when they were flat. Today, you're likely to buy a 4k TV. You weren't replacing your TV every year. Only when there were significant advancements.
What he said. I bought a nice Plasma TV. 6 months later, SmartTVs came out. I didn't want or need that.
Plasmas are being phased out, and Panasonic doesn't even make my TV or one like it anymore.
Guess what? I don't care because my TV still looks great and does what I want it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics