Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15NCBound View Post
I was looking at Sling subscription with a Roku. I would need a Roku for each TV correct?

As I was researching, I saw the Roku, then Apply TV (which had all kids of caveats- reg, jailbroken, tethered/unteathered), and other like Rippl? Any ideas on best systems? Or the difference btw the 2?

I also read about the Mohu antenna which should pick up roughly 30 channels free. I am wondering if that is needed though if we are using a Roku type device and a netflix/slingTV subscr?

Having not much of a clue about any of this makes it a bit challenging. I will get there!
Roku probably has more content and it has games, which Apple TV doesn't.

Apple TV just works and can access your iTunes content, which might matter to you if you already have a lot of purchased music/movies. Also, AppleTV has an exclusive deal with HBO, so if you want that network without a cable subscription, at the moment you have no other choice.

Both are fine. I went with the Apple TV for HBO access and because it can do things like Airplay mirroring from my phone or laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 10:53 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Roku is the cheapest. Not necessarily the best. Really all you need is an Android TV box. Roku had a long standing dispute with YouTube for several years that prevented it from being available on devices, legally. There were workarounds, but then Google would change the API and break functionality. They finally got it back on the right way this year. Now its better than ever; much better than it was before they got into it with Google.

Another option is BluRay players. You may only need 5 or 10 channels. They work great and you have the option to play BluRay or DVD. If Android TV is too complicated there is always Chromecast, which is about as easy as it gets.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:53 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
If you want to know what over-the-air channels you have in your area and the type of antenna you'll need, check out this site:

TV Fool

I went entirely over-the-air. I borrow DVDs of entire seasons of shows either free from the library or rent them from Family Video. That doesn't help with your ESPN problem, but it's a very cheap way to go.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:55 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Roku probably has more content and it has games, which Apple TV doesn't.

Apple TV just works and can access your iTunes content, which might matter to you if you already have a lot of purchased music/movies. Also, AppleTV has an exclusive deal with HBO, so if you want that network without a cable subscription, at the moment you have no other choice.

Both are fine. I went with the Apple TV for HBO access and because it can do things like Airplay mirroring from my phone or laptop.
That deal was only supposed to last for 3 months, but that may have changed.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:48 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
To be cable free and watch TV for free, install an antenna. I realize that if you live in a rural area, you might have only 4 or 5 channels and with a few 'subs'. But if you are near a large metro area, you can get over a dozen primes and 30 subs. And many of the subs are better than watching the primes.
antennaweb.org
tvfool.com
[subs available are not shown]

Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Sling TV. Alll three ESPN channels for $20 a month.
I stand corrected. That's pretty limited but also some of the major ones people are most interested in, if those are the channels you are interested in it's well worth it. If there was couple more I like watching like the Discovery Channel I'd probably be looking to switch myself

@OP, if you have smart TV or might be interested in getting one they usually have built in apps for common things like this. Same thing with the home theater sytems. You'd have to check the manufacturer. Otherwise you're going to need a device for each TV.

One other thing, you can get the local channels with an antenna. Assuming you have a new TV(anyone made after 2007) with built in digital tuner If you have any antenna laying around even if it's 20 years old give it a shot, you can pick them up at wally world for less than $10. If you can't get reception with cheap antenna then consider a more expensive one.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Apple TV just works
Really? Not that "just works" speil again.... Roku "just works" too. Is there a solution that doesn't "just work?"

Quote:
Also, AppleTV has an exclusive deal with HBO, so if you want that network without a cable subscription, at the moment you have no other choice.
And yea, that's over.

HBO NOW Is Coming To Google Play, Will Support Chromecast | TechCrunch

Old 06-01-2015, 07:53 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
I was looking at Sling subscription with a Roku. I would need a Roku for each TV correct?
Yes, and you would also need a Sling subscription for each person who is watching it at one time. If your home has three people and four TV's you need one Roku for each TV you want to watch it on, and if you have only one account and your hubby is watching ESPN, you cannot watch TNT on another TV without two accounts.

Quote:
I also read about the Mohu antenna which should pick up roughly 30 channels free.
Mohu is just a kind of antenna. Depending on where you are located depends on how many channels you get. Where I am located I get three HD channels (PBS, FOX, and Local news) and 9 standard definition channels (1 weather, 2 Spanish, 1 religious, 1 business, 1 arts and crafts, and 3 old TV series and movies). If you are near a bigger city you may get 30 channels.

If you want to get only a single Sling subscription a good antenna may provide you with alternatives for the person who is not watching Sling.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
i use xbmc (the ustv:vod add-on is great. it basically scrapes episodes from legal network websites like (nbc, tnt, pbs, ...)):
Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software

live sports is a challenge but can be had using third party add-ons that are kinda' in the grey area (therefore i wont mention them here).

Old 06-01-2015, 04:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:

I also read about the Mohu antenna which should pick up roughly 30 channels free.
It's marketing gimmick to some degree especially if it's labeled "HD". Any antenna will work for OTA even if it's 30 years old. As I suggested above if you have an old antenna laying around from another TV you can try that. You can buy them at wally world for less than $10. If you get reception of all the channels you want there is nothing more you can get by purchasing a better antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics