Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,792 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a new digital music player that also has a radio on it, as I sometimes want to listen to songs on my ITunes collection but other times I want to listen to my local radio stations. Can someone make some recommendations on some quality options that do both? I wish Apple had an IPod Classic with radio built into it, as that would be an easy choice (I have an IPod Classic and have always liked the amount of memory it has).

Also, can only Apple devices synch with ITunes or can ITunes songs also be stored on other digital/MP3 player devices? I wasn't sure how versatile these devices are and whether or not I am locked into having an Apple device if I use ITunes or to a non-Apple device if I started using Amazon or some other downloading service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 PM

102 posts, read 90,202 times
I remember having an MP3 player that had FM / AM radio, it was a Creative Zen Vision:M. It had about 30GB hard drive and could play video and music on it. You could even record the Radio into WAV format. Doubt you will find them brand new. I still have mine but it no longer stays charged and needs to be hooked up to a power source at all times.

I have not been able to even use any other device with iTunes so I would assume Apple products will only work with iTunes.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:21 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I am in the market for a new digital music player that also has a radio on it, as I sometimes want to listen to songs on my ITunes collection but other times I want to listen to my local radio stations. Can someone make some recommendations on some quality options that do both? I wish Apple had an IPod Classic with radio built into it, as that would be an easy choice (I have an IPod Classic and have always liked the amount of memory it has).

Also, can only Apple devices synch with ITunes or can ITunes songs also be stored on other digital/MP3 player devices? I wasn't sure how versatile these devices are and whether or not I am locked into having an Apple device if I use ITunes or to a non-Apple device if I started using Amazon or some other downloading service.
Give a modern smart phone a try

Old 08-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Give a modern smart phone a try

I have one and already thought of that and rejected it for one simple reason: data. The problem is that walking or jogging in the neighborhood outside the boundaries of my Wi-Fi connection is going to start eating data. I get 5GB per month but a smartphone constantly playing music will eat the hell out of that data.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
You didn't mention budget or size, sooooo....

https://www.google.com/search?q=MHC-...35334892075115

Bought one of them for outdoor parties and the basement, it's plenty of sound for really large outdoor party.

It can do MP3 CD's, has ipod docking station and mini jack for input from any other device that has headphones. About the only thing it doesn't have that I wished it had is wi-fi.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You didn't mention budget or size, sooooo....

https://www.google.com/search?q=MHC-...35334892075115

Bought one of them for outdoor parties and the basement, it's plenty of sound for really large outdoor party.

It can do MP3 CD's, has ipod docking station and mini jack for input from any other device that has headphones. About the only thing it doesn't have that I wished it had is wi-fi.

Sorry, it needs to be small enough that I can either slide it into a pocket or onto an armband when I go out to walk or jog in my neighborhood.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:15 AM

I did some research and the IPod Nano apparently has a built in FM radio tuner, so that makes it an option. I just wish it had more than 16GB of storage.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:14 PM

102 posts, read 90,202 times
Quote:
I did some research and the IPod Nano apparently has a built in FM radio tuner, so that makes it an option. I just wish it had more than 16GB of storage.
Could always encode your music into lower bit rates, I know it sounds annoying and a chore but it lets you pack more music.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBear View Post
Could always encode your music into lower bit rates, I know it sounds annoying and a chore but it lets you pack more music.
I have heard about it but never really knew about it. Does your sound quality suffer when you do that?

Old 08-23-2015, 02:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
I have heard about it but never really knew about it. Does your sound quality suffer when you do that?
Yes it will especially when the source is already MP3 however with portable players the difference should be negligible.

Do a search for batch renecode MP3, with the right program you can do your entire collection with a few clicks. Create new files and output to different directory keeping the original files.

Not recommending it and never used it but you can do it with something like this:

AmoK MP3 ReEncoder 1.1.0 (Official Website)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics