Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,812,399 times

Advertisements

My wife complains that our home theater system is too difficult to use b/c of all the remotes (ironically, she uses it a lot more than I do).

Our system includes a PS3 (whose remote only works over Bluetooth), an Onkyo receiver, a Scientific Atlanta cable box, and a cheapo Apex TV (which will likely be replaced this Black Friday). The pool of universal remotes that can control this range of components appears to be limited to more expensive, complicated models (although tbh I haven't done a ton of research yet).

Just curious, do those of you who have invested in a higher-end remote, like a Logitech Harmony, find it to be worth it? Or do you get fed up by glitches, performance issues, limited functionality, etc and revert back to using individual remotes?

I'm not at all bothered by my multitude of remotes, but want to keep "the boss" happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,816,645 times
What you might consider is having two remotes. One for the equipment you use most often and one for the "oddball" equipment. We did that for years and it was certainly better than hunting through four of them.

We used this one, which was supplied by Mediacom, and it controlled everything except one device. Easy to program as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B009H5JCJO

Old 09-11-2015, 12:49 PM

5,873 posts, read 11,972,803 times
We have a Logitech Harmony and love it. Oddly enough when we bought our new TV, we bought a new Logitech but took it back because we liked the old one better - I think it's a 650 and they are about $65. You don't need to buy the newer higher priced models. I will say they are a pain to set up but once you get them up and running they are great. The really cool thing about them is that you can program activities. So for example, if you have all of your AV equipment set up, you can set it up to "watch TV" and it will just turn the TV on but if you want to "watch a movie", it will turn on the TV and your sound system or even a DVD player (if you still have one) and set everything to the right inputs all with one click.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:20 PM

16,597 posts, read 19,817,873 times
1,000% Agree with Moonlady.

We had the very expensive Harmony One. My kid dropped it in some orange juice and it never worked right after that. Decided I wasn't dropping that kind of money on a replacement so I got what I hoped would be just as good: the 650.
It's EVERY bit as good. I love it. ONE remote. Runs my TV, PS3, and my Roku, and it used to run my DVD player (use the PS3 now).
Click ONE button; *Bam, everything does what it needs to do.

Had to buy the optional PS3 adapter which WAS much cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo.../dp/B00267S7XW
They are no longer made which is why the price is going up. Maybe Ebay?
#Recommend

Old 09-11-2015, 03:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,197,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
so I got what I hoped would be just as good: the 650.
I have one of them. it works well.

Two complaints, it uses a lot of batteries presumably because of the screen. I think the big difference between it and the next version up is that the better model has built in rechargeable you charge from USB if I remember correctly. . Might want to get yourself some rechargeable batteries for it especially if you are one of those people that hold the remote in your hand all the time. The screen is motion activated and it will be on a lot if you are holding it.

The next model down has no screen. Screen is nice but not necessary, what you can use that for is custom commands, for example if you are watching TV it can display a list of your favorite channels. If you are listening to music, etc.

The other complaint and this is not really the fault of the remote is there is no unique on and off signals for my TV and cable box, not on the remote but on the device itself. It's a "toggle switch". If a device misses a command they can get out of sync with the remote. This isn't an issue with standard remote because you just hit the on/off again.

This remote operates differently and uses "activities" instead, you hit watch TV and it will turn on or off all the devices needed to watch TV, switch inputs and cook you dinner. The problem is when a device gets out sync it thinks it's off or on when it's the opposite. Then you have to go through the help menu to turn it on or off.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:17 PM

16,597 posts, read 19,817,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Two complaints, it uses a lot of batteries presumably because of the screen.
Mine does not seem to go through batteries quickly at all.

Quote:
I think the big difference between it and the next version up is that the better model has built in rechargeable you charge from USB if I remember correctly.
It charges at the wall and has a cradle. I think it's actually a drawback. I prefer the AA batteries. If your rechargeable ones dies...snap! Now it won't work til you charge it. AA's? Just pop some new ones in.

Quote:
The other complaint and this is not really the fault of the remote is there is no unique on and off signals for my TV and cable box, not on the remote but on the device itself. It's a "toggle switch". If a device misses a command they can get out of sync with the remote. This isn't an issue with standard remote because you just hit the on/off again.
I don't experience this either.
Occasionally a command will get missed. I just press HELP as you said in the last paragraph and it syncs back up and it prompts you:

The HELP button is a perfect solution to the OP's quandary.
"My wife complains that our home theater system is too difficult to use b/c of all the remote"

Old 09-11-2015, 03:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,816,645 times
When the one we had missed a command I found pressing it twice after that worked.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't experience this either.
It doesn't happen that often and you just learn to give it some more time to send the commands.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When the one we had missed a command I found pressing it twice after that worked.
On this one you have a "all off" button. Two of the devices I have do not accept a discreet off command , if the command is missed by the device the remote has no clue what device is on. Re-sending the "all off" command to wrong device will turn it back on. Understand what I mean? It's the same signal for both on and off and the remote tracks whether it *should* be on or off.

If the devices had discreet off commands I'm sure hitting the "all off" and it would just attempt to re-send the commands.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:56 PM

5,873 posts, read 11,972,803 times
We have to hit the help button so often it's second nature and I didn't even think about it. It just takes an extra click or two to straighten it out. Certainly no more trouble than using multiple remotes but it is a drawback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics