Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times

Advertisements

I have a Toshiba 40L3400 television. I purchased it in September 2014. It is now, of course, out of warranty.

During the time I have had it, I have used Youtube and Pandora on a very regular basis. Suddenly, over the weekend, those apps have become difficult, if not impossible, to access. All but a handful of times when I have tried to access them, all I get is an error message saying that they cannot load.

When checking the connection to the TV, it states that the signal is "Strong". I have, for the sake of checking all factors, rebooted both my modem and router. I have rebooted the TV numerous times, as well, and even set it back to original settings (requiring me to reset all the channels!)

I spoke with Toshiba support (at a cost of $35) and the best they could come up with is that the mother board was shot. (They confirmed I had the latest software download.)

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, does Toshiba's answer sound right?

A year and a couple months from a TV seems pretty poor. I'm wondering if there is something I'm "missing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 01:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
How long ago did the latest software download? Can you remove that software and return to the previous version?

Old 11-15-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How long ago did the latest software download? Can you remove that software and return to the previous version?
Unfortunately, unlike a computer, this television has no way to remove software updates once they are loaded.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:51 PM

I wondered. Sucks.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I wondered. Sucks.
Yes. I'm really hesitant to spend the money to have it fixed, because if its a software and not a hardware problem, I'll just be out the money and still have the same issue.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:20 PM

Found this:

LED TV 40L3400U - TOSHIBA FORUMS

Quote:
I have the exact same issue - Gave up on WiFi (because I had to turn on "broadcast SSID" & turn off "MAC authentication") & got a Cat-6 (550MHz) network cable, still no luck.

Fiddle - Farted with the firewall settings in my DSL modem / router, opened up port 5001 {SlingBox} and was able to surf YouTube, connect to Pandora & watch a counting cars preview on Samba.

Then all of a sudden the TV got a hair up it's ass & decided to quit working with the network apps - AGAIN!!

Bottom line is this: you have to open every port on your DSL / Cable modems' / router firewall (so any 8-yr old with an XBox can hack your system) or this worthless POS TV - WILL NOT allow you to use the network apps!!

Yes Peter, the network test says success (did with WiFi also), now try actually doing something that's network related without first having to disable the firewall in your modem / router.

Smart TV my a$$ - try MORON TV.

Hey Peter - think it's time for another F/W update to fix all the network app's bugs

Signed: frustrated...
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, Microsoft Certified Professional (WITH TCP / IP), CompTia A+ Certified Service Tech

UPDATE: finally figured a solution... at least for a wired connection anyways - Have to put the TV on the front side of the firewall. The setting is called "DMZ Hosting". DMZ = De Milaterized Zone - yes I'm serious, no I do not know why.

DMZ hosting enables a LAN device (your TV in this case) to use the modem's WAN IP (Wide Area Networking - Internet Protocol - the signal your modem is receiving from your DSL \ cable provider address as its own. DMZ places the LAN device (your TV) outside [in front of] the firewall so it receive's the same signal as the modem \ router.

To make things easy start by going to your DHCP Settings & limiting the number of IP address's the modem + router \ router only can assign. My modem's IP addy = 192.168.0.1 - so I start at 192.168.0.2 and go to 192.168.0.10 (subnet mask = 255.255.255.0) - plenty for a tower, laptop & TV - now the TV takes 192.168.0.5 everytime.

Next goto security -> DMZ Hosting -> set DMZ state to "enable" - then select a device: with mine, you can either manually enter the IP address or click the drop down box & select the device - mine says Toshiba - then click apply. Now when I click the "home" button on the TV remote the menu comes up and all apps work everytime.

AND, best of all, the computers are still protected by a very stout firewall -see attached, there's about 3-page's of available ports & almost all are closed. Sorry but this system doesn't allow JPEG's, so no screen shots.

Yeah I know, that's a lot of techy stuff, but it's better than running your network with the firewall turned off. My laptop got a virus from AVG during an update because I had the firewall turned off for the TV.

Bruce H.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your research. (Boring Sunday, huh?) I had seen that.

Unfortunately, it appears that both the poster of the message you cut and pasted, and the person he was replying to, have had problems from day 1. Mine, on the other hand, has worked perfectly up until 2 days ago.

And if I have to use a wireless connection, or change my firewall settings......I'm better off getting another TV that works correctly.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Thanks for your research. (Boring Sunday, huh?) I had seen that.

Unfortunately, it appears that both the poster of the message you cut and pasted, and the person he was replying to, have had problems from day 1. Mine, on the other hand, has worked perfectly up until 2 days ago.

And if I have to use a wireless connection, or change my firewall settings......I'm better off getting another TV that works correctly.
Lol!

Any updates to your router?

Old 11-15-2015, 06:36 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I'm better off getting another TV that works correctly.
Or you could just buy a Roku and have a much more functional device than any smart TV you can buy.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Or you could just buy a Roku and have a much more functional device than any smart TV you can buy.
I'll pass on the Roku. It's a bit of a scam....having to give your credit card out to them just to use their product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics